staydin

Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2004
43
0
Status
Anyone have any advice on how to handle the scramble, if it come's down to that? Anyone go through this personally, and what guidelines would you give?

Just hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Thanks in advance.
 

paz5559

10+ Year Member
May 9, 2004
402
1
Status
staydin said:
Anyone have any advice on how to handle the scramble, if it come's down to that? Anyone go through this personally, and what guidelines would you give?

Just hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Thanks in advance.
My thought is, no PM&R applicant will have the opportunity to go through it. Since you will apply for a first year position separately for the vast majority of programs, you will be charaterized as having matched, and thus not be notified of your need to scramble for second yeaar positions.

Of course, I could be wrong.
 

axm397

SDN Moderator
Moderator
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
1,731
48
texas
Status
Attending Physician
I'm pretty sure when you get the notification about whether you've matched or not, they tell you if you have matched or matched only for prelim year. So you should have the chance to scramble. Neurology, Anesthesia, Radiology, Derm, and PM&R would all be in the same position, right??
 
OP
staydin

staydin

Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2004
43
0
Status
axm397 said:
I'm pretty sure when you get the notification about whether you've matched or not, they tell you if you have matched or matched only for prelim year. So you should have the chance to scramble. Neurology, Anesthesia, Radiology, Derm, and PM&R would all be in the same position, right??
I am not sure how it will work in that case. I never considered the possibility of the PGY-1 year. So for many people that may be a concern.

But a significant number of applicants are Osteopaths, and the above scenario doesn't really matter. I know many of us only ranked PMR programs in the Allopathic Match.

But I would imagine, like axm397 said, you would mostly likely be notified according to the match of PGY-1 and PGY-2 years.
 

DrGucciGal

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2002
35
0
38
Status
Applicants are notified whether they matched (or did not match) for Prelim spot as well as speciality (PGY2) spot. It will be addressed as two separate matches...i think. But basically, from how it was explained to me, there is no way that you will go umatched in a PGY2 spot and not know it (no matter if you matched for a prelim spot or not).
 

Gauss

Damnit Jim!
15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2002
1,232
278
Status
Attending Physician
If you match for PGY1 or both prelim+PGY2 you just get told you've matched right? That's all it says for me, no indication whether I gotPGY1 or prelim and PGY2. I would assume if you didn't match to prelim then it would indicate you've only matched to PGY2?
this is annoying.......

Edit:
I think I found my answer
4 possibilities on Black Monday

1)"Congratulations, you have matched."---this means you matched both for prelim and for advanced residency program.

2)"Congratulations, you have matched into a one year position."---this means you matched for your prelim only and not advanced residency program

3)"Congratulations, you have matched into an advanced position."---this means you matched for an advanced residency program but not for your prelim

4)Notification that you did not match for advanced residency program or prelim.
 

macman

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2001
302
1
44
USA
Visit site
Status
Gauss said:
If you match for PGY1 or both prelim+PGY2 you just get told you've matched right? That's all it says for me, no indication whether I gotPGY1 or prelim and PGY2. I would assume if you didn't match to prelim then it would indicate you've only matched to PGY2?
this is annoying.......

Edit:
I think I found my answer
4 possibilities on Black Monday

1)"Congratulations, you have matched."---this means you matched both for prelim and for advanced residency program.

2)"Congratulations, you have matched into a one year position."---this means you matched for your prelim only and not advanced residency program

3)"Congratulations, you have matched into an advanced position."---this means you matched for an advanced residency program but not for your prelim

4)Notification that you did not match for advanced residency program or prelim.


is this accurate??? if so then I matched both prelim and pm&R b/c they said "congrats, you have matched"


yoohooo!