The Secret to Getting Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optimus123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is no secret. It's a mixture of work, skill, timing and luck.

The secret to getting into medical school can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Grow-Ri...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248581468&sr=8-1

Also, SDN is amazing, but I think it would be much better if that book was required reading.

Have any of you read it? What did you think?

I haven't read the book.

Anyway, I just think it would be cool to have a little book club somewhere on sdn. But, it has to focus on healthcare/medicine of course.

suggested books:

House of God
Vaccines
Final Exam
etc

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not read the book, but I read that he uses Thomas Edison as an example? That can only mean one thing: determination. I used Edison in a 'role model' essay along with my father.

sorry, i did that for extra EXTRA emphasis. it just struck me as particularly odd.

If there is a secret to getting into medical school that works for any Joe on the street, it definitely is priced higher than this book.

That or the secret is to go to a for profit medical school south of the border.

I haven't read the book.

Anyway, I just think it would be cool to have a little book club somewhere on sdn. But, it has to focus on healthcare/medicine of course.

suggested books:

House of God
Vaccines
Final Exam
etc

Yes. vin5cent0, you clearly have not read The Book.

A book club idea would be cool though.

there are a ton of threads about books on SDN and the ones you mentioned are for sure in those threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
there are a ton of threads about books on SDN and the ones you mentioned are for sure in those threads.

I didn't know that, but are these medical books or admissions books? I'm guessing SDN offers a bit of both. Time to use the search function!

if there was a secret either no one would know or everyone would know. if one book gave you a fool proof step by step on how to get into each med school, we'd all own that instead of MSAR.

I just finished reading 'Think & Grow Rich' last month. It was really insightful, although the book was written in 1938 so obvi some of the wording will be a little weird.

The cool thing about it is that the book was written during the Great Depression, its sort of an inspirational book that was supposed to pick up ppl's spirits. So since we currently are in a depression/repression & everybody has been comparing these times to the great depression of the 1930's, it was sort of appropriate to today.

The other funny thing is that the author idolized Henry Ford for his great triumph of building Ford Motors, but today his great company is bankrupt.

I didn't know that, but are these medical books or admissions books? I'm guessing SDN offers a bit of both. Time to use the search function!

not admissions books. books. like the kind you read. for fun or to get a glimpse of a doctor's life (memoirs, etc.).

if there was a secret either no one would know or everyone would know. if one book gave you a fool proof step by step on how to get into each med school, we'd all own that instead of MSAR.

i wish i could quote the subject line of your post... sex panther FTW. :thumbup:

The other funny thing is that the author idolized Henry Ford for his great triumph of building Ford Motors, but today his great company is bankrupt.

Actually, Ford is the only one of the "Big 3" that has not declared bankruptcy.. and all things considered, it isn't doing that badly...just saying.

I really like Complications by Atul Gawande and am now reading his second book, Better. Also Phantoms in the Brain is a pretty good book for science related stuff.

Think and Grow Rich isn't anything like House of God and the like. It is a manual on how to be succesful written by someone that spent many years interviewing and observing the most succesful people of all time.

Think and Grow Rich isn't anything like House of God and the like. It is a manual on how to be succesful written by someone that spent many years interviewing and observing the most succesful people of all time.

thats like getting rich by writing a book about how other people got rich.