The September 15th Deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mj2323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted almost all of my apps yesterday night (Sept 14th). I wanted to add a few more programs today to be sure it is time stamped September 15th. I was wondering if programs will look at the newly added apps since it is already past 9 am Eastern time? Would I be okay as long as newly added apps are time stamped sept 15th?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes they will look at them. Technically the deadline isn't until months from now, but as long as you get the app in today you're fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with above...also they'll be most likely looking at them on Monday, not today, filtering through/etc. Programs like weekends off too, you know ;)

... and there's no way we get through all of them on Monday. So likely you have at least 1-2 weeks to actually get them in. 1 or 2 days is unlikely to make a difference.

Reactions: 1 users
... and there's no way we get through all of them on Monday. So likely you have at least 1-2 weeks to actually get them in. 1 or 2 days is unlikely to make a difference.
I've heard a program director say if an applicant can't get that in on time, then they figure they will be the type of resident who never finishes their stuff on time...

I've heard a program director say if an applicant can't get that in on time, then they figure they will be the type of resident who never finishes their stuff on time...

I think it’s unfair to assume the reason someone submitted a “late application” is because they’re bad with being on time for anything. Financial constraints could be a reason for late apps. If one wants to apply to 100 programs for example, but only immediately has enough money for 50 by September 14, and then comes into more “disposable” income by september 30 and can then apply to a few more programs, it wouldn’t be fair to shut out such a person on assumption. Anyway, that’s the game. Can be ruthless like that.

I suspect he was talking about people who apply in mid-October, not people who submit on 9/16 or 9/17 or 9/18 or...

Even if there's one crazy PD who really believes that 9/15 is meaningfully different than a week later, I doubt that opinion is in the majority.

Some may say that... I can't speak for everyone.
I think it’s unfair to assume the reason someone submitted a “late application” is because they’re bad with being on time for anything. Financial constraints could be a reason for late apps. If one wants to apply to 100 programs for example, but only immediately has enough money for 50 by September 14, and then comes into more “disposable” income by september 30 and can then apply to a few more programs, it wouldn’t be fair to shut out such a person on assumption. Anyway, that’s the game. Can be ruthless like that.
I suspect he was talking about people who apply in mid-October, not people who submit on 9/16 or 9/17 or 9/18 or...

Even if there's one crazy PD who really believes that 9/15 is meaningfully different than a week later, I doubt that opinion is in the majority.
Lol, I'm certainly not saying it's everyone's thoughts, and I didn't drill this PD (who is a she, not a he, btw) about exactly if they screened anybody out who's application wasn't done on exactly 9/15. I know she said she understands LORs and things like that not being there on time. Regardless, it just makes me think that this, like most things on residency: you should just maximize your chances. Do everything in your power to make yourself have everything on point. I definitely wouldn't recommend someone not apply because they were a day or two late.

Lol, I'm certainly not saying it's everyone's thoughts, and I didn't drill this PD (who is a she, not a he, btw) about exactly if they screened anybody out who's application wasn't done on exactly 9/15. I know she said she understands LORs and things like that not being there on time. Regardless, it just makes me think that this, like most things on residency: you should just maximize your chances. Do everything in your power to make yourself have everything on point. I definitely wouldn't recommend someone not apply because they were a day or two late.

Submitting a day after the application opens is not late.