The Seven Types of Anesthesiologists: Which one are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which type of anesthesiologist are you?

• Dr. Niceguy (or Nicegal)

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Dr. Stuffy Crotchetypants

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Dr. Lazybum

• Dr. Fraidy Katz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. McClueless

• Dr. Grandstander

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Notme

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BuzzPhreed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are basically only seven types of anesthesiologists out there. Which one are you? Be honest with yourselves (and us).

1) Dr. Niceguy (or Nicegal): This is the dude/dudette who is the ultimate doormat. S/He will go out of his/her way to befriend everyone from the complete PITA cardiothoracic surgeon that no one even says "hi" to in the hallway to the person who empties the wastebaskets after hours. Conflict is not a word in their vocabulary. Extra call? Sure. Take all my cases so I can go golfing? No problem. Secretly s/he is miserable and should be high on the list of diversion suspects when the narcs go missing.

2) Dr. Stuffy Crotchetypants: There are only two ways of doing things. (Don't make me repeat the cliche.) So don't waste your breath with any suggestions about how to do something different, Crotchetypants has been an anesthesiologist for 30 years and there's nothing he can learn from anyone. No discussion. No debates. He especially doesn't want to argue with you. Just go away.

3) Dr. Lazybum: Starts to complain at 11:30 AM about why he hasn't yet been relieved for the day. Of course, it's the Monday after a golden weekend so it's only fair that he's worried about how hard he's going to have to work the rest of that week. After all, his 12-weeks of annual vacation means that he only has one week off this month. Yet, he's willing to exert the effort to find you and make sure you help him with his pre-ops and covering his 2 directed rooms (in addition to your 3 or 4). Oh, and make sure you get him that lunch break if you can't get him relieved by noon.

4) Dr. Fraidy Katz: Everyone whose BMI is over 25 gets an endotracheal tube. Central lines and a-lines are routinely handed out like PEZ candy. BiS monitors are placed while the patient is awake just to get a baseline. Any "blip" or "beep" or "ping" needs to be investigated, treated, and completely squashed before she can feel at ease. "The patient is about to die any second, damn it, unless I do something!"

5) Dr. McClueless: This is the doc that everyone is scratching their heads trying to figure out how they passed the board-certification process. Actually most wonder how they simply remember to breathe. Somehow they still have a job despite spending a disproportionate amount of time defending themselves at M&M meetings. You wouldn't let them anesthetize your pet.

6) Dr. Grandstander: This doc loves an audience. Things tend to be ten times more involved and complicated than they need to be when he's around. Simply intubation? No way! This Grade I airway will clearly need a retrograde wire! Somehow they can figure out how to use every single drug in the drawer during a case. Why they became an anesthesiologist rather than a Broadway actor is a little baffling, but it shouldn't be surprising that deep down they know they have little real talent for either profession. So they make up for a lot of their deficiencies with unnecessary hand-flapping and smoke-and-mirrors. And the more attention and acknowledgment you give them, the worse it gets.

7) Dr. Notme: For those of you who for some reason don't think you fit into one of the above categories. You have this special category just for you. You know who you are. You're special. You're not like the rest. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You forgot one

8) Dr. Gottoomuchtimeonmyhands

:)

Yeah, well I'm supposed to be reading about macro-economics right now. I've got a case study report due before end of my first term in two weeks. It's a somewhat soft deadline (i.e. I can ask for an extension if I need it). So definitely more fun procrastinating.

I'm closest to number 1. I like to connect with people and have fun at work. But I'm not miserable and don't even drink.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm confused.

Which one actually CARES about their patients?

(lol)

Reactions: 1 user
This is obviously tongue-in-cheek for those who haven't figured that out yet.

Of course most CRNAs (who might come here looking for ammo) are #4. And naturally the "Dr." doesn't apply to them unless they're using their PhD, DNAP, or some other near worthless non-clinical "doctor" title that will "accidentally" slip out in front of the patient if you're not standing there to correct them.

Last edited:
When I work w crnas I put them into one of four categories based on a 2 x 2 table: weak vs strong and cocky vs meek. Weak/cocky is the worst combo and has to be watched most closely. Weak/meak also requires close supervision but you know they will call you when in trouble.

Reactions: 1 users
When I work w crnas I put them into one of four categories based on a 2 x 2 table: weak vs strong and cocky vs meek. Weak/cocky is the worst combo and has to be watched most closely. Weak/meak also requires close supervision but you know they will call you when in trouble.
That's a pretty good way to predict your day.

It applies to everybody: surgeon, circulator, us....

I wonder how often our self evaluation matches reality.

Dr Lifeisgood. Shows up to work early, befriends the ancillary staff and placates even the most hot tempered of surgeons. The guy who knows it all, but doesn't feel the need to prove that to anyone... But when stuff hits the fan, he's the guy you want in the room. Always cool and under control. The doc all the nurses request to be their anesthetist. Savy enough to post on sdn about the current state of anesthesia, but has enough perspective to realize that he's still living the dream...

I would think most of us fall under here :)

I would think most of us fall under here :)
No no, the SDN anesthesiologist can intubate a gravid fire ant, turn a room over in less than 5min, throw in a PNB with 10ml of local that set in in 5min and lasts 36+ hours in less time than in takes to boot the echo machine, cover 6 rooms being present at all critical times, never has a lateralized epidural and a failed spinal is always because of a bad batch of local. :p
And don't forget he's also a master investor and his portfolio beats the market every year.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No no, the SDN anesthesiologist can intubate a gravid fire ant, turn a room over in less than 5min, throw in a PNB with 10ml of local that set in in 5min and lasts 36+ hours in less time than in takes to boot the echo machine, cover 6 rooms being present at all critical times, never has a lateralized epidural and a failed spinal is always because of a bad batch of local. :p
And don't forget he's also a master investor and his portfolio beats the market every year.
And he could have made twice as much in investment banking.

This is the best post of 2014.

Tongue in cheek as you mean to be, in all honesty I'm a mix of 1 and 4.
#1 - I want everyone to be happy in the room I'm working in, and I'm willing to go out of my way to make that happen. That includes the gentlemen that take out the garbage.
#4 - I still have a healthy fear that - as a CA1 5 months in - I'm going to assassinate someone. With that said, my surgical colleagues don't know that - nobody wants nervous nellie as their anesthesia resident.

:thumbup: :lol: Awesome!

We're handsome (or beautiful) too.

1) Dr. Niceguy (or Nicegal): This is the dude/dudette who is the ultimate doormat. S/He will go out of his/her way to befriend everyone from the complete PITA cardiothoracic surgeon that no one even says "hi" to in the hallway to the person who empties the wastebaskets after hours. Conflict is not a word in their vocabulary. Extra call? Sure. Take all my cases so I can go golfing? No problem. Secretly s/he is miserable and should be high on the list of diversion suspects when the narcs go missing.

Know an EM/CCM registrar like this. Top dude. Not a doormat. Tries to befriend all the anti-social neurosurgical registrars. Went as far as to buy one their favourite drink (strawberry milk) after the surg reg assessed a patient with catastrophic head bleed. Priceless reaction.

And he makes $700k w2.

Don't forget putting in 20 central lines during the day also.

Not really. I read #2 and #6 and they don't really apply. I'm the guy they come to when no one can get the job done - I do.