The Single Non-trad & Relationships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wholeheartedly

Epi Geek
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you single non-trads (are there even many?) find yourself reluctant put much effort into dating sometimes because you don't know what you're going to wind up doing in the future (i.e. when/if you're going to get into med school, where you're going to go, etc) or have people a bit turned off that you're going to be starting school/in debt for quite awhile at like 30 when a lot of people are ready to settle down.

Just curious what other people's experiences are with that. I mean if you find the right person, I think you can make it work. Sometimes I feel like there's too much up in the air at the moment to even bother.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha yes I'm going through the same thought process myself. How could I doom someone to working on a relationship around my schedule!

foreveralone.jpg indeed! :p

I guess the saying goes though, if you meet the right person for you then it will work out no matter what is going on in your life and they would be understanding of your endeavor.

Yeah, it's just too hard to date right now. I really tried recently, but she really thought I would be available every day to hang out. After receiving a number of texts and causing drama, I decided to cut her off. Didn't really like that much anyway, so it's no biggie. I think it's good to have a significant other, but that person needs to be understanding of our situation. foreveralone.jpg :/

Date another med student?

Personal experience would make me shy away from dating someone I work/study with. The aftermath of the breakup can be quite unpleasant.

To be non-trad itself is already something off-road.. why shall we try to get on track back while also go off-road? Classical dating etc. are all parts of mainstream lifestyle, not a non-trad's.

Any of you single non-trads (are there even many?) find yourself reluctant put much effort into dating sometimes because you don't know what you're going to wind up doing in the future (i.e. when/if you're going to get into med school, where you're going to go, etc) or have people a bit turned off that you're going to be starting school/in debt for quite awhile at like 30 when a lot of people are ready to settle down.

Just curious what other people's experiences are with that. I mean if you find the right person, I think you can make it work. Sometimes I feel like there's too much up in the air at the moment to even bother.

Personal experience would make me shy away from dating someone I work/study with. The aftermath of the breakup can be quite unpleasant.

Easy, date a med student a year above you. They will understand. Or a med student at another school. Or both.

I do not go into anything with the thought of failure so this breaking up business makes no sense to me.

I do not go into anything with the thought of failure so this breaking up business makes no sense to me.

I don't think anyone does, but at the same time, you can't predict the future. *shrug*

Members don't see this ad :)
Date another med student?

Agreed! Agreed!! Agreed!!! Life is good. The simplicity is awesome. Less drama & Less stress.
Easy, date a med student a year above you. They will understand. Or a med student at another school. Or both.

Right again! You're good!! You'll cherish each other dearly, the little spare time you have/spent together, knowing it doesn't come by that often. Y'all must listen to ejw5075...wish I can decode this #:laugh:

Easy, date a med student a year above you. Or a med student at another school. Or both.

Sound like a plan. One question: How do you make sure that the one in the year above you doesn't find out about the one at the other school? I haven't been on the dating scene in a long time, but this sound pretty complicated and time consuming?

sent from my phone

Sound like a plan. One question: How do you make sure that the one in the year above you doesn't find out about the one at the other school? I haven't been on the dating scene in a long time, but this sound pretty complicated and time consuming?

sent from my phone

Apparently.

"Or both" = Year(s) above AT another school. All about degrees of separation.

I obviously do not recommend dating multiple medical students at once. Drama.

Med school and juggling two relationships!? Oh man we're talking about super med student at this point or have we moved to a 26 hr day now? :p

(How has this not been made into a movie yet!)

Well, med students are over achievers....

Well, there's the problem. Tell your fellow classmates to stop being so greedy and leave one or two on the market for you. Sheesh, gunners. Probably have mistresses too. Maybe a life-coach. Inconsiderate jerks.

sent from my phone

you guys are hilarious. I am taken the mcat in june and just broke up with my girlfriend. I have to say it is a lot easier studying for the mcat without one but on the weekend i need a woman.

Well, I don't think my fiancee would be happy if I started dating any med student:laugh:

I don't think anyone goes into a relationship thinking it won't work out, or that they'll break it off after x amount of time (except for that one time), but it'd be naive to think that breaking it off with someone is an aberration. It happens all the time, and if you're like most people, you'll have more relationships that don't work than those that do.

Yeah....that's a tough situation WH....I bet the stalkers are all taken too. Oh wait...you don't want one of those.

sent from my phone

Beggars can't be choosers :p

(actually, I had one of those in HS, sucked royally. and then there was the incident where I started getting letters and Looney Toons drawings from an inmate I didn't know or want to know :scared: ... fyi: if you go to court to contest a traffic citation and the judge asks for your name and address, try to look as unappealing as possible so the other folks in the court room there don't get any ideas)

Last edited:
Well, I s'pose we could start a nontrad dating thread. I mean, this site isn't called the Student Dating Network for nothing!

All kidding aside, I know of at least two marriages and one LTR that have resulted from couples that met on SDN.

You guys are hilarious! I'll be going about it long distance. My partner will be staying on the west coast while I head back east. This is one of those cases where the biggest pro and con of a LDR are the same - no regular interruptions but...no regular interruptions.

Haha! So awkward it hurts!

Hey online dating is now the #2 way relationships are started! We just have to come up with SDN's 29 points of compatibility! :biglove:
29 points? I can only think of two: GPA and MCAT. ;)

Single male nontrad seeks single female with a thorough knowledge of physics and organic chemistry. Must enjoy biology lab, long study sessions in the library, rice and beans for dinner every night, and college cafeteria hamburgers. Must understand the Wolff-Kishner nucleophilic addition of hydrazine to aldehydes. Women with large collection of MCAT study materials preferred. Send picture of MCAT study materials.

I should try these personal ads more often.

Single male nontrad seeks single female with a thorough knowledge of physics and organic chemistry. Must enjoy biology lab, long study sessions in the library, rice and beans for dinner every night, and college cafeteria hamburgers. Must understand the Wolff-Kishner nucleophilic addition of hydrazine to aldehydes. Women with large collection of MCAT study materials preferred. Send picture of MCAT study materials.

I should try these personal ads more often.

That's Hilarious :laugh:

But what does it mean if I was going, check...check...check as I read through that :oops:

But what does it mean if I was going, check...check...check as I read through that :oops:
Heck, *I* was going check, check, check as I read through that. Minus the hamburgers, of course; I'm a vegetarian. Well, that, and I gave away all my MCAT materials quite a while ago. I guess he's all yours, wholeheartedly. :love:

All kidding aside, it's funny how the chemistry thing comes up over and over in strange ways. A few days ago, one of the nurses asked me if I would teach him and some of the other nurses about the Markovnikov rule. I was like, "sure!" until I realized he was just teasing me. Then today I ran into a third year med student who had been on my team back in August. After saying hello, she started going on about a brief chalk talk I'd given to the team about opioids. I'm not sure she remembers anything about opioids, but she did remember that I drew the structures of morphine and heroin without notes. :laugh:

My friends were considering setting me up with some people and I shot them down; I am too focused on myself and getting where I want to go to worry about another person. This is all true, unless said other person was going through the same process :p. Just worrying about finishing my pre-reqs and upping my previously mediocre GPA.

My friends were considering setting me up with some people and I shot them down; I am too focused on myself and getting where I want to go to worry about another person. This is all true, unless said other person was going through the same process :p. Just worrying about finishing my pre-reqs and upping my previously mediocre GPA.

I had the same mindset and said the exact same thing to my friend that was trying to set me up with one of the girls he works with. He changed my mind and said, "Y'know worry about not having time when it happens. If she's a good catch she'll be understanding of what you're trying to accomplish. Don't knock it until you've at least tried."

Needless to say I have a date next weekend now. We'll see how it goes but she was at least warned. (haha) :whistle:

^^Have fun on your date!

There is another recent grad in all my premed classes. He's almost like a boyfriend with the amount of time we spend with each other every day, working on physics problem sets and chem lab. :laugh: I'm surprised we're not sick of each other yet, LOL.

As far as actual dating goes... no dice!