The Start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXEMC344

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice, with exception to Peter Rosen. Wish they would cut that out. Nobody wants him associated with the profession anymore since his sanction for negligent expert witness testimony.
The sanction against Rosen, here.

Explanation of the testimony by Rosen and Steven Gabaeff against a fellow Emergency Physician, here.

So according to Rosen, all chest pain patients including pediatrics should have a CTA…..

take him off the video

Reactions: 1 users
The sanction against Rosen, here.

Explanation of the testimony by Rosen and Steven Gabaeff against a fellow Emergency Physician, here.
Wow just read that case report. What a jerk off. Profiting off a case where a physician missed a PE with nonspecific ekg changes and cardiomegaly on a CHEST X-RAY. Normal vitals and no risk factors. **** this guy. He knowingly threw that physician under the bus for a quick buck.

Peter Rosen passed away a couple years ago. Like most of us, a complex man with a complex legacy. I do fully disagree with the testimony in the specific case (recall, GA had a gross negligence law, which is a different standard that most of us discussing cases). The pediatric patient was just s/p a knee scope, and had pleuritic CP, so someone I would certainly consider working up for PE having seen a few in pediatric patients after orthopedic LE procedures. Still the care was not grossly negligent, and some might argue well within the standard of care.

Anyway, I found this pair of letters to the editor instructive… one bashes the man, one exalts him:

Peter Rosen passed away a couple years ago. Like most of us, a complex man with a complex legacy. ...I found this pair of letters to the editor instructive… one bashes the man, one exalts him:
"He falsely accused me of trying to kill someone in open court and got paid for it. But someone liked him!"

Last edited:
If you testify against your own in court, your testimony better be pitch perfect and beyond reproach.

Reactions: 2 users
It wasn't just one time. He'd been doing it for over 30 years!

"I would like to compliment Dr. Sullivan and the Ethics Committee on their censure of Dr. Rosen. I have practiced emergency medicine for 38 years and had one malpractice case early in my career—about 1984. The expert witness arraigned against me was Dr. Rosen. You have no idea how disheartening that was to a young physician starting out. At the time, rumor had it that he commonly did this sort of work. Luckily, my expert was Greg Henry, and it eventually settled out of court. Dr. Rosen‘s deposition against me was very harsh and judgmental.

Richard C. Frederick, MD"

Just to clarify, I didn't intend to post this to make it all about Rosen. Just an interesting video I wanted to share.

Just to clarify, I didn't intend to post this to make it all about Rosen. Just an interesting video I wanted to share.
Don’t think anyone has that impression, but since Rosen is a central figure in that documentary, people will discuss him.

I’m so glad ACEP censured him, and I hope this gives courage to other EPs maligned by dubious testimony to report them to ACEP or AAEM.

It wasn't just one time. He'd been doing it for over 30 years!

"I would like to compliment Dr. Sullivan and the Ethics Committee on their censure of Dr. Rosen. I have practiced emergency medicine for 38 years and had one malpractice case early in my career—about 1984. The expert witness arraigned against me was Dr. Rosen. You have no idea how disheartening that was to a young physician starting out. At the time, rumor had it that he commonly did this sort of work. Luckily, my expert was Greg Henry, and it eventually settled out of court. Dr. Rosen‘s deposition against me was very harsh and judgmental.

Richard C. Frederick, MD"
Yep. He proudly served as expert for both defense and plaintiff. Voiced it as a moral imperative. Also worried about the corporate takeover of medicine, and helped define Emergency Medicine at its birth as a unique and separate field not just operationally but intellectually.

Clearly requires a bit of nuance to discuss a legacy like his.

Yeah, totally cool to give dubious testimony for money, because ‘moral imperative’, and ‘I pretend to worry about corporate takeover but do nothing to actually address the issue’. Got it.

Yep. He proudly served as expert for both defense and plaintiff. Voiced it as a moral imperative. Also worried about the corporate takeover of medicine, and helped define Emergency Medicine at its birth as a unique and separate field not just operationally but intellectually.

Clearly requires a bit of nuance to discuss a legacy like his.
It's one thing to testify against a fellow EM doc, but it's another to totally lie on the stand by saying the things he did. I have no interest in him remaining as one of the "founders." As far as I'm concerned, he founded nothing but disgrace to our specialty and to medicine in general. His name should never be spoken in a positive context related to the history of emergency medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
Rosen aside, a well done presentation. Was nice to see interviews with Rivers, Goldfrank, and Herbert. Rockstars all.