The Summer Before Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bakedbeans18

"Truly misguided, with delusions of grandeur"
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are you doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Playing League of Legends.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Travel. Setting up a new apartment. And a healthy dose of Skyrim (I know; I'm late to the party).

~7 weeks left of work, then bumming around doing nothing. I've got some books I want to get through, will prolly re-play the entire Secret of Monkey Island series, and cook and freeze a TON of meals so I have one less thing to worry about come August.

Edit - I'll be doing some shadowing too. A couple weeks with an FM doc, a neurologist and a state medical examiner.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Don't forget, it's never too early to start studying for step 1... ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Nothing good ever comes from playing that game.

You mean to suggest that the one game I play to blow off steam/take a break from studying isn't a good idea? Why? Because, like stress cleaning, it turns into three matches- then four... and then it's time to wake up. But wait... I've been on a losing streak because top fed all four games. I just want one win. Just one. I can power study on the way to class.

How does that scenario sound bad, pray tell?

Reactions: 2 users
You mean to suggest that the one game I play to blow off steam/take a break from studying isn't a good idea? Why? Because, like stress cleaning, it turns into three matches- then four... and then it's time to wake up. But wait... I've been on a losing streak because top fed all four games. I just want one win. Just one. I can power study on the way to class.

LOL, man, the memories this brings back. I stopped playing once I started school, it's just not worth it haha.

Reactions: 1 users
LOL, man, the memories this brings back. I stopped playing once I started school, it's just not worth it haha.

I need to take the advice of so many players and just uninstall.

Members don't see this ad :)
video games, huh? i'm spending the summer at the beach and on the boat doing a whole lot of drinking and grilling with friends and checking out the hotties on the beach!! just straight up living it up and loving life this summer!!

video games, huh? i'm spending the summer at the beach and on the boat doing a whole lot of drinking and grilling with friends and checking out the hotties on the beach!! just straight up living it up and loving life this summer!!
Grilling is the best. Seriously, learn how to grill up some wicked meals this summer and you'll be thanking yourself in medical school. Much cheaper and quite delicious.

Grilling is the best. Seriously, learn how to grill up some wicked meals this summer and you'll be thanking yourself in medical school. Much cheaper and quite delicious.

Actually tends to be more costly (propane and charcoal adds-up quickly) and a bit more time consuming. No argument on the deliciousness part though.

Actually tends to be more costly (propane and charcoal adds-up quickly) and a bit more time consuming. No argument on the deliciousness part though.
Hmm. I've been using a small small grill with a tiny propane tank and I've saved money in terms of what I would be spending on a gas/electric bill.

Taking about 3 weeks to drive from the East to the West coast and back again :)

Reactions: 1 user
I never had a taste for the game but I still casually play Starcraft II. I guess not liking the game is the softer equivalent of disliking alcohol. A blessing in disguise.

Well now that you mentioned alcohol I'm 0-2.

Got extra room on that boat? :)

I'm traveling in and out of the country and going to 2 music shows. Plus a few sports leagues and races. Otherwise just chillin'!!!

is it okay to be addicted to Fireball?

i sure hope it is because let's just say i won't be getting over that addiction anytime soon with the summer time coming up!!!

Last edited:
Got extra room on that boat? :)

I'm traveling in and out of the country and going to 2 music shows. Plus a few sports leagues and races. Otherwise just chillin'!!!

H*** YEAH!!

Climbing ELO ladders and picking Yorick.

Lifting heavy things.

Spending time with the girlfriend, friends, and family.

Enjoying all the hiking and nature out here before I move.

Climbing ELO ladders and picking Yorick.

Lifting heavy things.

Spending time with the girlfriend, friends, and family.

Enjoying all the hiking and nature out here before I move.

How exactly does one climb Electric Light Orchestra?

CS:GO
Travel
Roadtrip
Possible shadowing opportunities (never did any shadowing in HS or college >.>)
Chill with my homies
Lift and get stronk

Long summer. Should be nice and relaxing.

First Vegas, then working :) looking forward to the summer!

School starts for me July 1st :(. Well, ill be moving to a big city after a lifetime of living in the rural south. Some things I have planned for June- Jay z concert, white water rafting, sky diving, learning to swim, etc

Last edited:
Working until the end of June. Planning a few trips to ME, VT, NY and possibly OR. And of course, watching as much of the WC as I can.

I'm tryna drop 30 lbs in the next 90 days. That's my pre-M1 summer goal :) #doyouevenliftbro

Nothing related to school at all. I'll be playing with my daughter, deep cleaning my house, organizing my office ( threw out 99% of everything related to postbac coursework and MCAT studying), remembering what being outdoors feels like, going to the beach a few times. Doing my best to "stop and smell the roses" while I can.

summer research rotations :(
but man you guys have so many exciting plans!! have fun

Ugg I hate that game...but mostly cuz I suck hard at it haha. Maybe surgery isn't for me :p. In the few gaming sessions I was in just cuz all my friends were into it I was always the one getting yelled at for feeding opponents like a midwestern farmer.

Did the chicken catch on fire again? :p

Going to Brazil for FIFA World Cup next month. Soccer, beaches, and Brazilian women. That's all I need to be set for the fall.

Isn't Brazil crazy unprepared for the world cup infrastructure wise?

They're definitely behind on constructing a few stadiums to date, but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. There's also a possibility of protesting by Brazilian citizens which may put a damper on the games, but I still expect an amazing experience overall.

keep working to save up some cash, hit the gym a lot, go out with friends, generally chill out and enjoy the summer.

Oh and finding an apartment. It would help a lot to know where I'm going first... (C'mon may 15!!!)

Isn't Brazil crazy unprepared for the world cup infrastructure wise?
Yeah. They outlawed subnational government borrowing so the federal government has to take on all the debt financing of new infrastructure, which is causing a problem for obvious reasons leading back to concepts of benefit taxation vs. general taxation. It's a surprise because no one thought Brazil's policies of trying to get themselves out of a serial default cycle could lead them into big **** like this. (Don't forget the 2016 Olympics lol)

Good lesson for developing and developed countries that letting state and local governments be able to leverage finances is of utmost importance.

Heading to Puerto Rico in 9 days =D

andddddd I wanted to finish the entire ER series (15 seasons) by the time I leave (end of July)...I ended up finishing two weeks ago......15 seasons in 4 months lol

Heading to Puerto Rico in 9 days =D

andddddd I wanted to finish the entire ER series (15 seasons) by the time I leave (end of July)...I ended up finishing two weeks ago......15 seasons in 4 months lol

OMG thats sooo many seasons. Speaking of television check out "A Young Doctor's Notebook". Its only 4 30min epsiodes so it will go fast but its amazing. Stars Daniel Radcliff (harry potter) and John Hamm (mad men) and is a dark comedy about pre-revolution Russian rural medicine. I really connected with Radcliff's character which I think is a bad thing seeing that its a dark comedy about medicine.

Whatever you do, DO NOT download Hobbit KOM!

I'm very important. I have many leather bound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany...