The Summer Before Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Heading to Puerto Rico in 9 days =D

andddddd I wanted to finish the entire ER series (15 seasons) by the time I leave (end of July)...I ended up finishing two weeks ago......15 seasons in 4 months lol

I just spent spring break there by Isla Verde. Beautiful place, reminds me of home.


I'm very important. I have many leather bound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany...
 
I'll be doing research and saving money. I plan to do a fair amount of bar hopping and hopefully make it to Caribana 2014 and OVO Fest 2014. So amped.
 
I just spent spring break there by Isla Verde. Beautiful place, reminds me of home.


I'm very important. I have many leather bound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany...

yeah I went last year and had a blast. beautiful place!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hiking the white mountains of New Hampshire! Best hiking in the US... And then sleeping for like 3 weeks straight before I start school.

Why can't we store sleep?????
 
Backpacking through Europe. Was going to go with my best bud, but plans fell through---but I am going to do it anyway! Traveling alone can be fun (I hope)
 
Getting Married, woop woop! :soexcited:
Vacationing in CT and Northern Michigan
Concerts!
Tigers Baseball games

and probably a good amount of drinking 😉
 
Backpacking through Europe. Was going to go with my best bud, but plans fell through---but I am going to do it anyway! Traveling alone can be fun (I hope)

It will be awesome! I'm also backpacking through South East Asia and Europe alone for the most part. Maybe we will see each other in Europe 🙂
 
Been gaming a lot already (strangely I did not really do much gaming at all prior to this)
Drinking with friends more often
Going through a bunch of TV shows I heard were great but never had time to watch
Watching NBA playoff games pretty much every day
Gone to a few concerts
Probably going to take some classes I find interesting but with no real work required at the local CC (gaming does get boring after a while)
Learning new recipes that will be easy to prepare
Making some money online

I would love to travel but it's costly and I would rather go with other people. Unfortunately none of my close family or friends have the luxury of time right now so I doubt I'll go anywhere.

I really don't want to waste this time though, it's so precious and is probably the last time in my life I will be stress free with nothing looming over my head. Maybe when I'm like 65 and retired it will return
 
Backpacking through Europe. Was going to go with my best bud, but plans fell through---but I am going to do it anyway! Traveling alone can be fun (I hope)
Stay in hostels if you want to have a good time, you'll meet plenty of people and have stuff to do at night.
 
9aeea48d279dc16b0920842721f37d06adf255a6_m.gif


I believe this perfectly captures how I shall be spending my time until school starts
 
This is sort of reviving an old thread here, but how good/bad of an idea is it to shadow the summer before medical school? Some people say they do this, and I wanted to get an idea of whether it might be a good time investment for incoming students.
 
This is sort of reviving an old thread here, but how good/bad of an idea is it to shadow the summer before medical school? Some people say they do this, and I wanted to get an idea of whether it might be a good time investment for incoming students.
Not a med student, yet, but can't really see how much you'd really gain from that. I would say, relax and try to enjoy yourself. You have the rest of your life to worry about medicine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is sort of reviving an old thread here, but how good/bad of an idea is it to shadow the summer before medical school? Some people say they do this, and I wanted to get an idea of whether it might be a good time investment for incoming students.

If you're doing it to explore different specialties, especially those that you won't get exposed to 3rd year, I think it's a great idea. There will be less time to shadow during medical school, so doing a little low-stress shadowing during the summer sounds like a good idea to me. The key word, though, is "low-stress"; if it's something that you aren't excited to get up and do, I wouldn't do it.