The time after the interview (before Dec. 1st)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valuepak17

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

valuepak,

I think you are stressing over things too much. The reason that no one has answered your question is b/c it kinda doesn't make sense. If a certain school likes your stats enough that would invite you for an interview for Sep or Oct, chances are that they are willling to sccept you as well. If however, you think that you totally messed up the interview and are expecting a rejection letter from them, it is up to the school policy as when to send you the rejection letter. Some schools (i.e: Ohio, Iowa) send out rejection letters very quickly whereas others (UPitt, Upenn, BU) will wait till at least mid March.

be in touch with the school(s) that you interviewed with and i wish you the best.

Comet

valuepak,

This is what i beleive based on my observations. It seems that schools who grant you an interview will not reject you until May or June when the class is full (all deposits paid) and they are certain there is no seats left.

You are pretty much on the wait list, which you will be accepted if they dont receive enough deposits to fill the class. Also, sometimes people will put a deposit at a school, then get another acceptance from another school they prefer and back out. At that point, the school will likely call up someone from the wait list to occupy that seat.

Some people back out during the first week of school, making somebodu else a very very happy person.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't worry! i think a lot of people are stressing! this time period is pretty crucial for the rest of your life and it's only normal. you've gotten interviews from a few places, and that's better than none. :)

im wondering why schools can reject a person straight out...but cant tell the person if they are denied until Dec. 1st?...

I dont understand your question. If you got a rejection already, then obviously schools CAN tell the applicant before Dec 1st.

Schools cant tell you that you have neen accepted until Dec 1. The december 1st date has nothing to do with rejections.

Just to clarify: if a school decides to DENY your application and you HAVE had an interview already with that school, then there is a 99% chance you will NOT hear anything until Dec. 1.

Those who are getting rejections PRIOR to Dec 1 are just that -- rejections of their applications, not denial into the school.

The reason for this is that if you were good enough to get an interview, then schools will NOT just outright deny you, they will typically sit on your file and see how many of the people they gave acceptances to will pay the deposit. If they get enough people promising to matriculate, then the schools have no need to dig into their "waitlist".

So, to sum, it is fairly rare for schools to deny you (if you've had an interview) on Dec. 1. Usually they will string you along until they get their class numbers just right. Sometimes this entails giving YOU an acceptance, other times it just entails them keeping you in their back pocket in case they need you one day in February or March.

For example, I interviewed at UNLV in October of last year. On Dec. 1 I called them and was told that I was not accepted on the initial round of acceptances. I called them in January and was told I was not accepted in that round of acceptances. Still, I had not been denied and my file was still open. I called them in February to let them know I had chosen Arizona, but before I could get that out they told me I was accepted.

Contrast that with my application to Iowa, where I was REJECTED prior to secondary, or UK where I was REJECTED prior to interview.

Make sense?