The TMDSAS Waitlist: Uncovering the Veil of Uncertainty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lord Kek

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As many of you know, TMDSAS utilizes a match system where applicants rank the schools they interview at, and hopefully on match day gain acceptance to one of those schools. The majority of Texas residents manage to secure an interview somewhere, and an even greater proportion of Texas residents obtain an acceptance from one or multiple interviews. Due to the Texas Match, all spots at TMDSAS schools are completely filled on match day, with each accepted applicant holding only one acceptance to a TMDSAS school. This begs the question; what happens to students who didn’t match to any TMDSAS school on match day and are waitlisted?

Another question that arises is; does a person on a TMDSAS school waitlist have a lower shot at acceptance than a person on waitlists for AMCAS schools? Because AMCAS schools don’t use a match system, each medical school can give a larger portion of acceptances, and waitlist movement can vary greatly among schools.

Sadly, I do not have the data available to compare general waitlist chances at TMDSAS and AMCAS schools, because there is no AAMC data sheet showing how many unique interviewees there are. I can, however, give insight to the first question proposed.

Disclaimer: This statistical analysis only applies to IS Texas residents applying through TMDSAS.

According to TAAHP report of 2015, there were 2134 unique Texas residents interviewed at TMDSAS schools, and there were 3943 unique Texas residents who applied to TMDSAS schools. This means approximately 54% of Texas applicants who applied through TMDSAS were interviewed. Of those 2134 unique Texas residents applying through TMDSAS, 1482 were given acceptances on match day, and including seats given to OOS applicants, all TMDSAS medical school seats were filled. Just for good measure, the acceptance rate for Texas residents who interviewed at a TMDSAS school was approximately 70%! This means that 652 unique Texas residents who were interviewed at TMDSAS schools did not match to a single school on match day.

So what exactly happened to those 652 interviewees who didn’t match anywhere on match day? Did they eventually gain an acceptance to a TMDSAS school?

As we’re about to see, the TMDSAS schools waitlists can be an interesting place indeed.

According to gyngyn, Table A-5: Applicants to U.S. Medical Schools by In or Out-of-State Matriculation Status, 2014-2015 states that 215 Texas residents matriculated to an OOS AMCAS medical school. Because TMDSAS is the default application service for Texas residents, it’s safe to assume that those 215 Texas residents who matriculated OOS applied through both AMCAS and TMDSAS. It’s also safe to assume that these 215 Texas residents already held an acceptance to a TMDSAS school because of the bias OOS schools have against Texas applicants. As many of the adcoms on SDN have stated, many OOS schools don’t bother interviewing or accepting Texas residents unless they are candidates for scholarship money (IE highly sought after, meaning that they likely already hold an IS acceptance).

Another variable to consider is Baylor College of Medicine. Each year, their entering class is composed of 75%, or roughly 140 Texas residents. Because BCM is arguably the most competitive school to gain entry to in Texas, it’s safe to assume that any Texas resident accepted there already holds an acceptance from a TMDSAS school.

Yet another variable to consider is AACOMAS. In 2015 175 Texas residents matriculated to an AACOMAS school. This variable won’t be used in my calculation, because it’s impossible to determine how many of these applicants were competitive for admission into TMDSAS schools.

What do these variables tell us? Simple, a small proportion of Texas residents matriculate out of state.

What else does this tell us? The TMDSAS school waitlists aren’t such a bad place to be.

Due to the assertions about competitiveness of Texas applicants accepted to BCM or another AMCAS school, most likely a total of 355 Texas residents (BCM+AMCAS) who were already accepted to a TMDSAS school instead chose to attend an OOS school or BCM. This means that of the 1482 Texas residents accepted through the TMDSAS match, only 1127 matriculated to a TMDSAS school. Because TMDSAS schools must keep their 90% Texas resident quota, the majority of these seats went to unmatched IS residents. So of those 652 Texas residents who were interviewed but did not match to a TMDSAS school, approximately 355 were later pulled off the waitlist and matriculated to a TMDSAS school. Approximately 54% of waitlisted applicants were eventually pulled off the waitlist.

This percentage has likely dropped in recent years, because all TMDSAS schools increase the amount of interviewees per year yet their class sizes remain the same.

Note: This calculation doesn’t take into account the OOS applicants to TMDSAS schools who were accepted but ultimately chose to attend an AMCAS school because that data doesn’t exist.

Tl;dr The TMDSAS school waitlists aren’t as bleak as they might seem. Have hope.

Data sources:
TAAHP Report 2015 https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/tmdsas-2016.1134412/page-8
gyngyn's advice to Texas applicant looking to apply OOS https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/texas-resident-applying-out-of-state.1230785/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
I am necroing this thread since I found it interesting and many people from the Texas thread are probably dying to know more about this. In order to satisfy @Lord Kek's theory that approximately half of Texas waitlistees get accepted, we need to see at least 300 waitlisted students get accepted. Across 9 schools, that averages to 33 students per school.

This is what the MSAR says about waitlist acceptances at each school:

A&M: 40
TCOM: 40 (Thanks @Rusrus)
Lubbock: 20
UTMB: 15
Paul Foster: 8-10
Long San Antonio: N/A
Dell/Austin: N/A
Southwestern: N/A
McGovern: N/A
Rio Grande Valley: N/A

Although over half of the schools do not share waitlist acceptances with MSAR, only A&M stands out as taking enough waitlisted students to support @Lord Kek. Does anyone have information to fill in the blanks for the other schools?

An additional note: The MSAR says Paul Foster only grants 10 waitlist positions, but several students have called and been told that everyone who interviews is waitlisted by default. This seems to be the default position at most schools. MSAR says Texas Tech Lubbock and A&M only give waitlist positions to 60-100 students, meaning that their pools might actually be more exclusive. Can anyone verify this?

Last edited:
I am necroing this thread since I found it interesting and many people from the Texas thread are probably dying to know more about this. In order to satisfy @Lord Kek's theory that approximately half of Texas waitlistees get accepted, we need to see at least 300 waitlisted students get accepted. Across 9 schools, that averages to 33 students per school.

Although over half of the schools do not share waitlist acceptances with MSAR, only A&M stands out as taking enough waitlisted students to support @Lord Kek. Does anyone have information to fill in the blanks for the other schools?

An additional note: The MSAR says Paul Foster only grants 10 waitlist positions, but several students have called and been told that everyone who interviews is waitlisted by default. This seems to be the default position at most schools. MSAR says Texas Tech Lubbock and A&M only give waitlist positions to 60-100 students, meaning that their pools might actually be more exclusive. Can anyone verify this?
Would it make sense to assume that Long/McGovern have around the same as UTMB since those 3 are generally grouped together after UTSW and Baylor on Texas and have relatively the same class size. Or maybe slightly more waitlist acceptances as SA or Houston would be more preferred over Galveston

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Last year, according to an attachment sent out to those waitlisted this cycle: TCOM accepted about 40 students off their waitlist

I can't verify with absolute certainty, but as far as I have seen/heard, Paul Foster has not rejected anyone post-II, and thus everyone who hasn't been accepted post-II has been waitlisted. Are you thinking 8-10 isn't accurate?

I can't verify with absolute certainty, but as far as I have seen/heard, Paul Foster has not rejected anyone post-II, and thus everyone who hasn't been accepted post-II has been waitlisted. Are you thinking 8-10 isn't accurate?
I think 8-10 is accurate. MSAR has Paul Foster erroneously only WAITLISTING 8-10, making it seem like getting a waitlist email from them is far more promising than the reality.

The problem with this is that there is no distinction between OOS and IS, and some of the waitlist acceptances are going to people who already have an acceptance. This means that the number of seats going to in state people without acceptances is not going to be as high as the sum of all the acceptances. Also, A&M reduced their seats from previous cycles, so their waitlist acceptances might go down to reflect that.

I think 8-10 is accurate. MSAR has Paul Foster erroneously only WAITLISTING 8-10, making it seem like getting a waitlist email from them is far more promising than the reality.
Ah, I see. Yes, they waitlist hundreds of individuals, so 8-10 is actually really depressing.

Would it make sense to assume that Long/McGovern have around the same as UTMB since those 3 are generally grouped together after UTSW and Baylor on Texas and have relatively the same class size. Or maybe slightly more waitlist acceptances as SA or Houston would be more preferred over Galveston

I think that makes sense but I don't want to extrapolate based on class sizes alone since I don't know what other factors go into it.

The problem with this is that there is no distinction between OOS and IS, and some of the waitlist acceptances are going to people who already have an acceptance. This means that the number of seats going to in state people without acceptances is not going to be as high as the sum of all the acceptances. Also, A&M reduced their seats from previous cycles, so their waitlist acceptances might go down to reflect that.
I agree there are some bad assumptions made in the OP, namely that every acceptance OOS and at Baylor equals a waitlist acceptance (surely those schools accept some students before Feb 1). However, I think that the number of waitlist acceptances is a good metric to use. Anyone who jumps up for a more preferable school in-state is opening a seat at their previous school. If we can fill in some more of the blanks we might be able to make a better guess at it.

I agree there are some bad assumptions made in the OP. However, I think that the number of waitlist acceptances is a good metric to use. Anyone who jumps up for a better school in-state is then opening a seat at their previous school. If we can fill in some more of the blanks we might be able to make a better guess at it.

If a person accepted at school A gets off the waitlist at school B, it will lead to two acceptances off the wait list but only one potential seat for someone without an acceptance. Using wailtlist acceptances will lead to overestimating the number of potential acceptances for people without an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
Anecdotally, I was on three waitlists and did not get off any prior to the June 1st deadline. One of my friends was also on three waitlists (two different from me, one same) and also did not get off any.

Anecdotally, I was on three waitlists and did not get off any prior to the June 1st deadline. One of my friends was also on three waitlists (two different from me, one same) and also did not get off any.
What changed for the next cycle? Did you reapply for the next one?

What changed for the next cycle? Did you reapply for the next one?

Both my friend and I had an acceptance already. The June 1st deadline for waitlists only applies to people who already hold a TMDSAS acceptance. Otherwise, you can see movement all the way until orientation.

Can confirm that Tech-Lubbock is selective as MSAR says. They do reject post II