The Top 1% of doctors in 2007 earned 2 million dollars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theslave

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just watched a show on MSNBC and I left amazed at how much money some people make. The top 400 income earners in 2007 had an average income of 214 million dollars. Most of these people are hedge fund managers (not signers, athletes, Presidents and/or CEO's of major companies).

I learned that the top 1% of doctors earned just a little $2 million dollars.

I'm just amazed at the separation of the SUPER rich from the middle class millionaires to the rest of us poor people. Some of the richest people spend more money getting a SINGLE tire fixed than we make in 1 year of full-time income as nurses.

Members don't see this ad.

I just watched a show on MSNBC and I left amazed at how much money some people make. The top 400 income earners in 2007 had an average income of 214 million dollars. Most of these people are hedge fund managers (not signers, athletes, Presidents and/or CEO's of major companies).

I'm just amazed at the separation of the SUPER rich from the middle class millionaires to the rest of us poor people. Some of the richest people spend more money getting a SINGLE tire fixed than we make in 1 year of full-time income as nurses.

Yeah, but a lot of doctors come from rich families/have a second source of income.

Yeah, but a lot of doctors come from rich families/have a second source of income.

Yeah.

Just so everyone knows, I'm not complaining about doctor salaries or anything like that. I just thought it was an interesting show and I wanted to post the topic here.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah, but how much did the bottom 1% of doctors earn? That is just a statistically relevant as what you posted, and I'm curious as to what that would be

Yeah, but how much did the bottom 1% of doctors earn? That is just a statistically relevant as what you posted, and I'm curious as to what that would be

Good question. I would assume around the $100,000 area.

Very true. Consider physicians who may also work as clinical / medical school professors, plus perhaps department leadership positions, advising positions and, in some cases, investments.

I'm curious about the bottom 1%, as well. I would put out an entirely uneducated guess around $50,000 -- a combination between practicing physicians who are working a lot for charity and physicians who own small or relatively new practices in lower paying specialties.

2 million is not that much. It becomes 1 million after taxes, and I bet many of these people aren't practicing physicians anyway. They probably worked in research/investments/consulting.

we need wealth redistribution in america

Reactions: 1 user

I'd say this is a little misleading, you're comparing the top 400 earners in the whole country to the top 1% of a single profession.Thats very lucky individuals compared to probably around 7000 physicians. There are very few professions, in any, that could compete with that.

I'd say this is a little misleading, you're comparing the top 400 earners in the whole country to the top 1% of a single profession.Thats very lucky individuals compared to probably around 7000 physicians. There are very few professions, in any, that could compete with that.

Are you saying there's only 7000 practicing physicians in America? Maybe I'm misreading, but that seems like a pretty lowball estimate.

I concur comrade!

The show mentioned that there are 2 million millionaires in American.

Get this, out of the people that I mentioned in my first post, they currently have 7 trillion dollars of money left over if they were to pass away in the next 5 years.

No I was saying there are 700,000. 700k * .01 = 7000

Ohhh haha my bad, I see what you're saying now. I thought by "lucky individuals" you were referring to the doctors who were making 2 mill, and the "7000" was the entire sample size. I was confused as to why you thought there were only 140 physicians in each state :laugh:

Speaking of all this wealth, I came across this very interesting article profiling the millionaires of the United States.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/books/chap1/millionairenextdoor.htm

Here's and interesting statistic:
As a group, we are fairly well educated. Only about one in five are not college graduates. Many of us hold advanced degrees. Eighteen percent have master's degrees, 8 percent law degrees, 6 percent medical degrees, and 6 percent Ph.D.s.

I'd expect those numbers, considering there are many more people with masters than any other degree,and more with law degrees than medical degrees.