The Top 5 Candidate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frescanese

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Instead of asking "what are my chances?," I would like to try and rephrase the question.

How would you describe a successful candidate for a top 5 psych residency? (maybe Top 10, too)

If possible, try to give examples of someone who is AOA AND someone who is not-AOA, but still meets your criteria.

Thanks. I think that will do it as far as annoying questions go ...

Members don't see this ad.

I think alot of it depends on the whole picture. I can give you my info, and give you some vignettes of others from my school, and where they matched.
I graduated with my MD/PhD in May from a non-"top 20" med school. Not AOA, high passed psych in 3rd year, a number of honors in psych electives fourth year, otherwise all passes. Four publications from my PhD. I'm doing a postdoc this year while my wife finishes her fourth year, playing Mr. Mom, and couples matching.
My PhD is in micro
Step 1 209
Step 2CK 170 (attempt 1), 203 (attempt 2). I studied for 1.5 weeks, with too many balls in the air, and screwed the pooch the first time. Put in a solid month of studying, and pulled myself back over 200 on my second attempt.

I have received interviews at Columbia, Pitt so far. No love from UPenn or Yale, UCSF, or UCLA-NPI. California programs are more difficult to get into if you are not from Cali, or went to med school there. Yale and UPenn I'm assuming are screening me out due to my failing step 2CK score.
I did a rotation at Columbia my fourth year, and spoke with the residency director, Ron Rieder. In our discussion I asked him what he looked for in a candidate, and I'm paraphrasing here, "I'm looking for someone who has passion, and shows that they are serious about it by some concrete exmaples. Whether it is a basic research project, community psychiatry and health policy, clinical research, or something else, I want to see they have a real drive and enthusiasm." So, as opposed to say ortho or rads, where your numbers are everything, in psych, even with okay scores and grades, you can match at a "top 5" or "top 10" program. Over the last couple of years at my school, we have had what were on paper some very average students who had done projects, or were very involved in research or student government that matched at Yale, Harvard-Longwood, Emory, triple board in Hawaii, and Mt. Sinai. None of these people were AOA.
But a word of caution. These "top 5" or "top 10" programs got their reputation not by being great meccas of residency training, but by research funding. Some may be great, others not so much. US News and World Report is not going to give you an inkling of what your residency experience is going to be like. If you are a climate controlled lab rat like myself, you go where the research is, but I can't get a good feel for clinical training until I go to the interview.
1.How much face time does the chair give to residents?
2.What is psychotherapy training like, is it all lecture, or do you receive actual supervision and feedback on real cases?
3.Do you learn psychotherapy from Psychiatrists and Psychologists, or from social workers?
4. What is the call schedule like? Night float?
5. What changes have been enacted based on resident feedback?
6. How are the lectures, a waste of time, or valuable?
7. Are the clinical services independent of residents (better learning, downtime for on the job teaching from attendings), or do they require residents (volume, more psychopathology, but less time for more theoretical teaching from attendings)?
8. Ask yourself, do you prefer a large program with 13-16 residents per class like NYU or Pitt (more opportunity, less community), or do you like a more intimate group of 4-6 residents per class like Rochester, NY or Vermont (more community, less opportunity)?
8. If you are interested in a given subspecialty (forensics, child, geriatrics, addiction, etc.), do they have the faculty there to get you the fellowship you want, and where have their graduates gone, have any of them gone on to do you're favorite fellowship.

I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence, I just think people get too hung up on the brand name prestige of a given program. Remember, the only value to hoighty toighty programs is if you want to stay in academics and the ivory tower. If you want a good clinical education for private practice, find a great program in an area you think you may want to settle down to practice after residency, you'll make a lot of contacts in your local area, and start getting offers at the end of your PGY-3 year, and certainly by the beginning of your PGY-4 year, per my old classmates who are now attendings or in private practice.

As a US grad, I don't think there's such a thing as a "bad candidate," assuming one does not have any obvious psychopathology, and let's face it, we all know that person in our class going into psych that could just as easily be a future psychiatric patient as a psychiatrist. And after all, Scrubs tells us we're the Walmart greeters of medicine, it can't be that hard.

After 8 years in med school, a little more than 2 cents, but I hope it helps. Good luck.

I just think people get too hung up on the brand name prestige of a given program. Remember, the only value to hoighty toighty programs is if you want to stay in academics and the ivory tower. If you want a good clinical education for private practice, find a great program in an area you think you may want to settle down to practice after residency, you'll make a lot of contacts in your local area, and start getting offers at the end of your PGY-3 year, and certainly by the beginning of your PGY-4 year, per my old classmates who are now attendings or in private practice.

This should be a sticky. It's great advice, and should be read over and over by those applicants who are giving themselves anxiety attacks over interviews or lack thereof. It is always important to keep in mind that published rankings are almost always weighted most heavily on federal grant money for RESEARCH, and like zen said, if that's your bag, then by all means, I'll see you in Steel City! But I think that most applicants are interested, at least in the long term, in some form of specialized psychotherapy or psychopharm. And you dont need to get a "top 10" (whatever that means) residency for that.

And I know what all my brethren from the northeast are thinking. Relax, you can have your botique office at $750 an hour on Park Ave in Manhattan without graduating from an ivy league residency...

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe it's useful to know this info (what makes a Top 5 candidate) to gauge your chances and, as a younger student, to set goals. I would like to go into academia, and I think the reputation and name of the school you attend count. That being said, other considerations should certainly be weighed. If it gives me street-cred with the past 2 posters, I can say I passed on acceptances at higher-ranked medschools to attend a school I think suited me better.

Those are the reasons I asked my original question.

To complicate the question, how would you rate a top 5 program?

Several guides rate programs based on how much money the program receives for research, and that alone. Yikes! Research doesn't help you much unless you want to do research, and most of us here want to be clinicians.

To complicate the question, how would you rate a top 5 program?

Several guides rate programs based on how much money the program receives for research, and that alone. Yikes! Research doesn't help you much unless you want to do research, and most of us here want to be clinicians.

What are you looking for in a program? I apologize in advance, my familiarity of programs is mostly limited to the Northeast, there are plenty of great programs in the south, midwest (MUSC, UNC, Duke, Emory, UTSW, U Colorado, U Chicago, Mayo, Cincinatti, Georgetown, Cleveland Clinic), and west coast (UC anything, Oregon state, U Washington). But try to ask yourself what you want out of your residency. If you hate snow, New Yorkers, and psychotherapy, Cornell is probably not the place for you. On the flip side, if the land of fruit and nuts is not your bag, and you want your own personal shrink couch, UCSD is probably out. Go to scutwork.com, and see if there are any reviews on the programs you're looking at. Also, go to the websites of a lot of your programs, they will often times list resident names and emails. Or ask the PD at programs for email addresses of current residents to get a feel for their experience, and if it matches up with what you are looking for. I've done that for a few programs, and the residents are only to happy to tell you what they like and don't like about their program, especially the PGY-3s and PGY-4s who are on their way to fellowship or private practice, and have a more longitudinal view of the residency, versus a burnt out intern trying to identify their ass from their elbow. But below is a collection of things I've heard from various people, all anecdotal, so take it with a grain of salt, of what some programs market or empahsize as their particular strengths.

Psychotherapy
Cornell
Menninger Clinic (home of Glen Gabbard)
Harvard-Cambridge
Columbia
UPenn
(Basically any northeastern program)

More Biological
Wash U
UC San Diego

Community Psych
UCSF

Research Tracks
UMich
UPitt
UCLA-NPI
Yale
UPenn
UCSD
UCSF
UTSW
Stanford
MUSC

Clinical Training
NYU
Columbia
MGH/McLean
Brown
Harvard-Longwood
MUSC

I'm already in residency.

But you did clarify what I meant. Several medjournals try to rate programs, but the means they use to rate the programs IMHO aren't what residents are looking for.

Take for example that medical schools are often rated on how much money the school receives in research funding. How many medical students did you know actually want to go into research? Very few. How many medical students do you feel benefited because their professor was doing research? Heck from my own experience, research professors actually were worse, because they were raking in big bucks based on the research. They knew they could get away with poor teaching.

That's why I tell people so concerned about getting into a "top" program--that program might not be what really be what you're looking for.

The things I'd be most concerned if I were applying now and knew what I know now:
Do attendings treat residents with respect?
How is the quality of the teaching?
How bad is the call schedule and the daily hours?
What is the board pass rate?
How does your program do on the PRITE?
How is the program's didactic's schedule? Is lecture time protected?
Does the program's patient population offer a good diversity of various disorders & socioeconomic classes?
Do residents get into the fellowships of their choice?
Does the program offer oppurtunities in research (if you are interested in research)
What financial benefits does the program offer besides the yearly salary?--e.g. is there moonlighting? Extra duties for extra money available outside of moonlighting?
What is the cost of living in the area?
Does the program offer fellowships? Which ones?
Is the hospital area safe? If not, does the hospital offer the means to keep you safe?

If the program is favorable in the majority of the above areas--I'd strongly consider it, not matter how good or bad it ranked.
IF you check out scutwork.com, you might notice that some of the top ranked programs are actually bashed quite heavily by people claiming to be residents in the program.

These IMHO are the more important questions than how much money the program gets in research. Most medstudents I know don't want to do research as a resident or go into it as a profession.

FYI: Last year of all US grads, 36/677 applied to psychiatry and were AOA.

http://www.nrmp.org/matchoutcomes.pdf

IMO the most interesting statistic of that file is the 8 US graduates with 220+ on Step 1 that went unmatched. I'm assuming that's the result of overconfidence and/or failed suicide matching. Also, that number I keep hearing about 6 interviews = 90% match rate...is that just for psych, for an residency, or total BS? I have some friends applying to plastics and rads who scoffed at that "statistic".