The total cost of applying to dental school is $______

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syn_apse

Registered Loser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that my application journey is over, I thought I'd crunch the numbers and share them for the benefit of those about to budget their 2007 journey...

I applied to 5 schools... attended 4 interviews, declined 1
AADSAS + DAT + airfare + hotels + meals = $1,700

Post your experience for those about to apply...

Members don't see this ad.

and thats nothing compared to the $200,000~300,000 you will be spending for your dental education

right, although this thread is about the cost of applying, not attending...

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't come up with an exact figure... but it was very, very expensive.

I just went over this a while back, here, let me see...

AADSAS app - ~$550 (applied to like, 8 schools)
DAT ~ $250
Post-Bac Spring semester (tuition, books, gas, parking, etc) ~ $700
Rental cars ~ $100
Flights ~ $700
Cloths (for interview) ~ $350
Misc (transcripts, books, DAT study guides) ~ $400

What is that? Over $3k.

Wow, thank God I got in this round or I'd be purty pissed off right about now.

DAT+ADEA+Travel+Taxi+Hotel+Gas = 800dlls

frakkin' expensive...I didn't really have money left to attend more interviews and I only had to fly to one.

Hmmm.
AADSAS: $255.00 - two schools
DAT: $500.00 (took it twice)
Study materials for DAT: $200.00
Suit- $310.00
Interviews- 25,000 air miles, $120.00 hotel in Richmond
MUSC application fee: $35.00
VCU application fee: $70.00
FedEx Transcripts from CofC: $22.00
FedEx Transcripts from Northeastern: $11.00
Total: $1,523.00, but worth it

Scary as this looks, I think I am in the 3000 dollar range over 2+ years of applying. at least 1500 dollars each year.

The kicker for this year was my inteview to Indiana, my original flight(200 dollar flight) got cancelled and of course the only available seat was a 1000 dollar first class seat.

Was it worth? Hell yah!

one of my accounting friends said we can write off expenses under a "lifelong learning credit" anyone else heard of this?

thanks bkwash, i'll look into it. gotta love those harvard smarties ;)

With AADSAS, application fees to the individual schools, airfare, hotels, taxi's, and the DAT, it cost me a little over 5 grand for two application cycles. Last year around $2,200. This year $3,165 (more interviews). I tried to interview at Nova and Temple in one trip to the East (i'm from the west) but hurricane Wilma screwed me over. I had to get a last minute flight to Philly and another flight to Flordia at a later date. But as already mentioned, an acceptance letter is "priceless".

bumping an old thread for those applying now.
AADSAS opens it's doors any day now.. best of luck everybody :luck:

6400 with interviews and kaplan courses

i spent about 6g's as well. 10 schools and kaplan course

About $3500...applied to seven schools, got a nice suit, airfare, meals, and of course paid to take the DAT. Didn't pay anything for hotels, helps when you have a family member in an executive position with Marriot.

$3000,4000 blah blah blah blah...all that means **** once you get your first acceptance letter. you shat your pants and say "holy ****, i crapped my pants"

DAT ~ $250
TMDSAS App Fee for 3 schools = $75
Having A&M transcript sent to TMDSAS = $10
Buying postage and envelopes to have letter of recs sent in ~ $6
If I get 3 interviews, all will require a 2 - 3.5 hour drive and gas money that goes with it. I'll stay with relatives instead of a hotel. ~ $250
Having pictures developed of me in my suit. = $5

I'm hoping to be just under $600.

Applied to 10 schools, went to 5 interviews (3 required plane trips), 1 required hotel. The rest I was fortunate enough to stay at a friends/relative's place. Paid for secondaries, 50% off Kaplan, DAT, Transcripts, Letters of Rec (used school's service, not AADSAS), and misc postage. Luckily UCSF's deposit is only $200...Logged official $3,355, but probably spent a little more here and there, but not more than $3,500. BUT it was all worth it!

syn_apse said:
Now that my application journey is over, I thought I'd crunch the numbers and share them for the benefit of those about to budget their 2007 journey...

I applied to 5 schools... attended 4 interviews, declined 1
AADSAS + DAT + airfare + hotels + meals = $1,700

Post your experience for those about to apply...