The truth about podiatry:jonwill, Dr. Feelgood, Dr. Gangrene etc

Started by grifgin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

grifgin

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,
Why do I keep finding stuff on the internet about bad things in podiatry?
> Especially about: old school vs new school doctors?

> Podiatrys' past - historically something went wrong in the 90s?

> The fact that some older pods advice is to run as far away as possible from podiatry (referred to as old school podiatrists)

> Pods vs. APMA - APMA's leadership is questioned again and again?

> Jobs after residency - slaves of older well established pods? making barely 50K

>School quality, how some accept everyone and anyone?

I know Ive been accepted to a good school and everything. I am sure that some of these problems are created by people who could not get into med/dent school and had pod as their backup. But still, Ive been told many times that jobs for example out of residencies are 50K + bonuses = ~95-100K, yet many olders pods say that BS.

So yeah if someone could give me a little history lesson on podiatry. What happened in the past, whats happening now, whats up with these angry older podiatrists etc?

Thanks
 
If you run searches or read back a bit (chronologically), you'll find discussions on over half those topics.

I'm too busy today, but I'll try to post Cliff Notes-style answers later this week if nobody else can. The bottom line is basically that the people who didn't apply themselves are the ones who whine the loudest, and that's basically where the "doom and gloom" of podiatry comes from. If 60% of pods are successful and happy in their career, 30% fairly satisfied, and 10% miserable, guess which fraction is busy seeing patients and guess which fraction has tons of time on their hands to complain again and again? Yep...
 
Hello everyone,
Why do I keep finding stuff on the internet about bad things in podiatry?
> Especially about: old school vs new school doctors?

> Podiatrys' past - historically something went wrong in the 90s?

> The fact that some older pods advice is to run as far away as possible from podiatry (referred to as old school podiatrists)

> Pods vs. APMA - APMA's leadership is questioned again and again?

> Jobs after residency - slaves of older well established pods? making barely 50K

>School quality, how some accept everyone and anyone?

I know Ive been accepted to a good school and everything. I am sure that some of these problems are created by people who could not get into med/dent school and had pod as their backup. But still, Ive been told many times that jobs for example out of residencies are 50K + bonuses = ~95-100K, yet many olders pods say that BS.

So yeah if someone could give me a little history lesson on podiatry. What happened in the past, whats happening now, whats up with these angry older podiatrists etc?

Thanks

Why not? I've got a little time 🙂

History: In the late 80's and into the 90's, pod schools were accepting more students than there were residency programs. This meant that pods were graduating and not getting any secondary training. Although secondary training wasn't a must back then and some still did very well practicing general podiatry, a fair amount of docs were screwed. They had paid tons of money for a degree that wasn't making any money. Needless to say, there are some older pods out there that are quite bitter at the profession.

Older pods: this is a tough one because there are a lot of phenominal older docs out there, many of which train at residency programs. Although I'm not sure who has given you the advice to "run from podiatry", I'm willing to bet that it is a pod that has a small private practice, that has little or no surgical training, and knows little about the advancement of the profession.

This goes along with the salary question. In the past, you were hired on out of school (no residency) by a pod and in a sense, continued to train under that pod. You weren't paid anything at first but as you progressed, so did your $$$. That is why you will hear old school pods talk about "paying your dues". No thanks, I'm paying my dues now with an intense three year surgical residency! And that's the difference, TRAINING. Twenty years ago, a new pod freshly out of school wouldn't produce much cash without further training so of course they're not going to pay you much in the beginning. Contrast that with someone graduating today from a 3 year surgical residency who has the ability to earn a group hundreds of thousands of dollars the first year out. I recently heard a pod say "If you sign for less than 6 figures out of residency, you're a sucker." Considering one gets good training (the majority of which do), I completely agree with that statement. And as I traveled the country last year, every senior resident I met had signed for over 100k except for the guys that wanted to start a practice from scratch. But if you're willing to produce hundreds of thousands of dollars for a group and only work for 50k, I'm sure a lot of people will be happy to sign you :laugh:


APMA is fine. I don't agree with everything they (or anybody for that matter) do but overall, they do a good job.

School quality: touchy subject but I think everyone will admit that some schools are much harder to get into than others. An intelligent, hard-working student will do well anywhere. The difference between schools is found in the lowest common denominator. I believe this to be one of the professions biggest problems. A quick example of what I believe happens yearly:

An unqualified student with a GPA 1.0, MCAT 3 (a gross exaggeration but you get the point) applies to school "1" and is not even granted an interview. They turn around and apply to school "2" which welcomes them with open arms. They squeek through (paying 25k a year in tuition mind you) and either can't pass boards or can't get a residency because they are whack jobs and can barely write their own name. And yes, I have seen this happen. Both parties share the blame but then podiatry wonders why their are people out there that despise to profession???
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This not only applies for Podiatry but all professions. if there is a Podiatric Physician out there who writes blogs and actively participates in forums (means like 10 posts average daily). I would be really skeptical in taking his advise. Because in these past 3 yrs working in healthcare marketting, I never got a Physcian give me appoinment for free for even 10 minutes to listen about a product and here we have Physcians spending hours on internet writing blogs on how pathetic their live is and forums and advising pre-pods. Thats really really bad place to take advise becoz these people are basically bloody losers who dont have anything in their lives to do except sit in front of internet and write crap. Because common if that idiot is sitting all day in front of internet and writing blogs and journals when the hell is he working. Unless he/she is some dracula or vampire working graveyard shift seeing patients in middle of night. lol!
 
Why not? I've got a little time 🙂

History: In the late 80's and into the 90's, pod schools were accepting more students than there were residency programs. This meant that pods were graduating and not getting any secondary training. Although secondary training wasn't a must back then and some still did very well practicing general podiatry, a fair amount of docs were screwed. They had paid tons of money for a degree that wasn't making any money. Needless to say, there are some older pods out there that are quite bitter at the profession.

Older pods: this is a tough one because there are a lot of phenominal older docs out there, many of which train at residency programs. Although I'm not sure who has given you the advice to "run from podiatry", I'm willing to bet that it is a pod that has a small private practice, that has little or no surgical training, and knows little about the advancement of the profession.

This goes along with the salary question. In the past, you were hired on out of school (no residency) by a pod and in a sense, continued to train under that pod. You weren't paid anything at first but as you progressed, so did your $$$. That is why you will hear old school pods talk about "paying your dues". No thanks, I'm paying my dues now with an intense three year surgical residency! And that's the difference, TRAINING. Twenty years ago, a new pod freshly out of school wouldn't produce much cash without further training so of course they're not going to pay you much in the beginning. Contrast that with someone graduating today from a 3 year surgical residency who has the ability to earn a group hundreds of thousands of dollars the first year out. I recently heard a pod say "If you sign for less than 6 figures out of residency, you're a sucker." Considering one gets good training (the majority of which do), I completely agree with that statement. And as I traveled the country last year, every senior resident I met had signed for over 100k except for the guys that wanted to start a practice from scratch. But if you're willing to produce hundreds of thousands of dollars for a group and only work for 50k, I'm sure a lot of people will be happy to sign you :laugh:


APMA is fine. I don't agree with everything they (or anybody for that matter) do but overall, they do a good job.

School quality: touchy subject but I think everyone will admit that some schools are much harder to get into than others. An intelligent, hard-working student will do well anywhere. The difference between schools is found in the lowest common denominator. I believe this to be one of the professions biggest problems. A quick example of what I believe happens yearly:

An unqualified student with a GPA 1.0, MCAT 3 (a gross exaggeration but you get the point) applies to school "1" and is not even granted an interview. They turn around and apply to school "2" which welcomes them with open arms. They squeek through (paying 25k a year in tuition mind you) and either can't pass boards or can't get a residency because they are whack jobs and can barely write their own name. And yes, I have seen this happen. Both parties share the blame but then podiatry wonders why their are people out there that despise to profession???

Hey Jon,

I agree with what you wrote, in reference to the bolded part. I recently attended the Pre-Professional Internship in Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine and was able to follow 4th year students around during their shift in the VA hospital, Huron Hospital as well as in the Foot and Ankle Institute in Cleveland---part of the impressive Cleveland Clinic System. One of the residents that I talked to was finishing her last year and told me that she was given multiple offers for a position in the Cleveland Hospital systems and most of the starting salaries they offered were around ~160k on average.
 
Why not? I've got a little time 🙂

History: In the late 80's and into the 90's, pod schools were accepting more students than there were residency programs. This meant that pods were graduating and not getting any secondary training. Although secondary training wasn't a must back then and some still did very well practicing general podiatry, a fair amount of docs were screwed. They had paid tons of money for a degree that wasn't making any money. Needless to say, there are some older pods out there that are quite bitter at the profession.

Older pods: this is a tough one because there are a lot of phenominal older docs out there, many of which train at residency programs. Although I'm not sure who has given you the advice to "run from podiatry", I'm willing to bet that it is a pod that has a small private practice, that has little or no surgical training, and knows little about the advancement of the profession.

This goes along with the salary question. In the past, you were hired on out of school (no residency) by a pod and in a sense, continued to train under that pod. You weren't paid anything at first but as you progressed, so did your $$$. That is why you will hear old school pods talk about "paying your dues". No thanks, I'm paying my dues now with an intense three year surgical residency! And that's the difference, TRAINING. Twenty years ago, a new pod freshly out of school wouldn't produce much cash without further training so of course they're not going to pay you much in the beginning. Contrast that with someone graduating today from a 3 year surgical residency who has the ability to earn a group hundreds of thousands of dollars the first year out. I recently heard a pod say "If you sign for less than 6 figures out of residency, you're a sucker." Considering one gets good training (the majority of which do), I completely agree with that statement. And as I traveled the country last year, every senior resident I met had signed for over 100k except for the guys that wanted to start a practice from scratch. But if you're willing to produce hundreds of thousands of dollars for a group and only work for 50k, I'm sure a lot of people will be happy to sign you :laugh:


APMA is fine. I don't agree with everything they (or anybody for that matter) do but overall, they do a good job.

School quality: touchy subject but I think everyone will admit that some schools are much harder to get into than others. An intelligent, hard-working student will do well anywhere. The difference between schools is found in the lowest common denominator. I believe this to be one of the professions biggest problems. A quick example of what I believe happens yearly:

An unqualified student with a GPA 1.0, MCAT 3 (a gross exaggeration but you get the point) applies to school "1" and is not even granted an interview. They turn around and apply to school "2" which welcomes them with open arms. They squeek through (paying 25k a year in tuition mind you) and either can't pass boards or can't get a residency because they are whack jobs and can barely write their own name. And yes, I have seen this happen. Both parties share the blame but then podiatry wonders why their are people out there that despise to profession???

I think that this is extremely well stated. One must remember that when you evaluate your future earning potential, podiatrist earn one of the nations top salaries. Now, I'm sure many of us considered MD or DO route, you can thank you stars that you didn't get in or turned it down. Why??? Because if we are talking strictly earning potential, primary care physicians average about 120-140 and top out at 180 (depends on what survey you look at). This is generally the majority of physicians, and they don't have surgical privileges. I know some FP docs that hate it b/c they make about 80 a year.

So what we don't can't go above the lower extremity. When you average about 140-160, and the higher end is 200-250, who cares?
 
I think that this is extremely well stated. One must remember that when you evaluate your future earning potential, podiatrist earn one of the nations top salaries. Now, I'm sure many of us considered MD or DO route, you can thank you stars that you didn't get in or turned it down. Why??? Because if we are talking strictly earning potential, primary care physicians average about 120-140 and top out at 180 (depends on what survey you look at). This is generally the majority of physicians, and they don't have surgical privileges. I know some FP docs that hate it b/c they make about 80 a year.

So what we don't can't go above the lower extremity. When you average about 140-160, and the higher end is 200-250, who cares?

But if you did "get in" and landed a ortho spot you could make 600 and operate on everything.
 
But if you did "get in" and landed a ortho spot you could make 600 and operate on everything.
True, true.^ But, you'd also have to ace the USMLE, get a high gpa and clinical honors, impress the right people, lada dada dada. I'm smart, but I'm not that smart... I don't know about you. Also, for even gen ortho, you do a longer residency than DPM, and you'd need to learn to really love your beeper and gen ortho calls at 3am (even after residency).

...So what we don't can't go above the lower extremity. When you average about 140-160, and the higher end is 200-250, who cares?
I agree with Feelgood.^

This thread has some good discussion on the advantages of knowing your specialty from the start:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=410205
 
But if you did "get in" and landed a ortho spot you could make 600 and operate on everything.

True but why be a jack of all trades (or joints) and a master of none? 😱

I have nothing but respect for all physicians, but I have heard from my DO counterparts why podiatry? I usually tell them that I'm a first generation doctor, so the road to a doctorate was very mysterious to me. When I realized what I wanted, the MD door had closed. Class sizes where larger and I screwed around with the app the first time.

So I was left with DO or DPM. I wanted to be a surgeon and as a DO, the odds are against you at getting into the OR. I got a guarantee from the beginning with DPM. I'm very happy with my choice. What I think will be interesting, is to see what road my kids take. Maybe they will be MDs maybe they will be ditch diggers? Who knows, but by that time we'll all probably just get a DC.:laugh:
 
With the work and skill it requires to get a spot, its very possible you could be a master of all trades too. Only the best of the best get through. The key is that you are happy no matter where you are. I have never turned down a challenge, so I would settle for nothing less and so far it was the right decision for me.
 
With the work and skill it requires to get a spot, its very possible you could be a master of all trades too. Only the best of the best get through. The key is that you are happy no matter where you are. I have never turned down a challenge, so I would settle for nothing less and so far it was the right decision for me.

🙄
why do you keep coming back?
 
A few of years ago if you got a 2 yr residency you were almost on top of the pod feeding chain, no respect, but those folks are on the bottom of the present podaitry feeding chain from what I can see. They are going to be the minority of pods in a short period of time and probably will be considered old school pods, who aren't nearly well trained, who didn't do well enough in their classes as a new generation of hopeful pod defend the honor of the profession.

If the pods are ever allowed to do more than the ankle down, where shall the 3yr residency folks today stand?
 
dawg is like the McRibb everyone loves when he comes back but everyone cries b/c we know he is just "for a limited time."

:laugh::laugh::laugh: So true my friend...so true.

Welcome back dawg. In light of this I think I am going to state the 1st official pod forum disclaimer...

"Please note that when it comes to salary and cool surgical case discussions, Dawg will always take the cake even when not stated. He is an exception to any discussion when pods are put above any other medical professional. This should and will be always assumed with every post." 😀

Keep posting. We always welcome your comments, even when they are stating the obvious. 🙂
 
...Please note that when it comes to salary and cool surgical case discussions, Dawg will always take the cake even when not stated...
Seems that way... is he a former DMU pod student who transferred to DO and matched ortho or what?

It seems that his posts hint at that, but it's hard to tell for sure 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seems that way... is he a former DMU pod student who transferred to DO and matched ortho or what?

It seems that his posts hint at that, but it's hard to tell for sure 😕

Judging by his previous posts, he could be an orthopedic foot and ankle fellow, so the guy is speaking from experience (or so I think).

P.S. ONE MORE DAY TILL BOARDS!!!! 😀
 
Judging by his previous posts, he could be an orthopedic foot and ankle fellow, so the guy is speaking from experience (or so I think).

P.S. ONE MORE DAY TILL BOARDS!!!! 😀

Yep he is an Orthopod doing F & A fellowship.
 
Seems that way... is he a former DMU pod student who transferred to DO and matched ortho or what?

It seems that his posts hint at that, but it's hard to tell for sure 😕

Im sure he can answer your question himself, but I believe he is an orthopod who finished his Foot and Ankle fellowship and is now working with an ortho group in Philly. He has been surfing our fourm for a while now and has contributed a lot to discussions. Its good to have an ortho point of view to the things we talk about. Whenever he talks highly of himself, hes just playing. He likes to stir the spot sometimes when it gets boring around here.
 
Thanks Rob and Feelgood. I wasnt at DMU and I don't practice in Philly, but the details of my life are quite inconsequential.... Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize; he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament... My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon... luge lessons... In the spring, we'd make meat helmets... When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds — pretty standard, really. At the age of 12, I received my first scribe. At the age of 14, a Zoroastrian named Wilma ritualistically shaved my testicles — there really is nothing like a shorn scrotum — it's quite breathtaking... I suggest you try it, but I digress. Yes I am an orthopod. Yes I did a foot and ankle fellowship and am now in practice which cuts into my posting. And yes I am cocky, er confident, as one of my best trainers told me the OR in no place for the timid.
 
Thanks Rob and Feelgood. I wasnt at DMU and I don't practice in Philly, but the details of my life are quite inconsequential.... Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize; he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament... My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon... luge lessons... In the spring, we'd make meat helmets... When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds — pretty standard, really. At the age of 12, I received my first scribe. At the age of 14, a Zoroastrian named Wilma ritualistically shaved my testicles — there really is nothing like a shorn scrotum — it's quite breathtaking... I suggest you try it, but I digress. Yes I am an orthopod. Yes I did a foot and ankle fellowship and am now in practice which cuts into my posting. And yes I am cocky, er confident, as one of my best trainers told me the OR in no place for the timid.

No, he was talking about Tim Ide; that short internal medicine doctor who always drops things and spits when he talks.:barf:
 
...but I digress. Yes I am an orthopod. Yes I did a foot and ankle fellowship and am now in practice which cuts into my posting. And yes I am cocky, er confident, as one of my best trainers told me the OR in no place for the timid.
Ok, I get it now...

pretension.jpg


😀
 
Thanks Rob and Feelgood. I wasnt at DMU and I don't practice in Philly, but the details of my life are quite inconsequential.... Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize; he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament... My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon... luge lessons... In the spring, we'd make meat helmets... When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds — pretty standard, really. At the age of 12, I received my first scribe. At the age of 14, a Zoroastrian named Wilma ritualistically shaved my testicles — there really is nothing like a shorn scrotum — it's quite breathtaking... I suggest you try it, but I digress. Yes I am an orthopod. Yes I did a foot and ankle fellowship and am now in practice which cuts into my posting. And yes I am cocky, er confident, as one of my best trainers told me the OR in no place for the timid.

Do they call you Dr. Evil in the OR?
 
At the program I am currently at the attending podiatrists love the local foot and ankle orthopod. Nobody likes to clean up someone elses messes, but he serves as an excellent referral base of even if he doesn't mean to.
 
So I was left with DO or DPM. I wanted to be a surgeon and as a DO, the odds are against you at getting into the OR. I got a guarantee from the beginning with DPM. I'm very happy with my choice. What I think will be interesting, is to see what road my kids take. Maybe they will be MDs maybe they will be ditch diggers? Who knows, but by that time we'll all probably just get a DC.:laugh:

That is a very valid point. My dad is an MD. I am pretty set on medical school, but still checking out my options. I am still intrigued by podiatry and want a chance to check it out in person. I mentioned this to my dad and he said something along the lines of "I know you can be more than JUST a podiatrist". I know he didn't mean it to sound offensive..this is a guy that has the upmost respect for everyone...but he is rather old school (graduated medschool in 64) and sees it as an easy way out. So in a way, being a child of a doctor does change one's decision a bit. I'm not banking on that and if I get the chance to shadow a podiatrist and love it then I'll do it...that simple.
 
That is a very valid point. My dad is an MD. I am pretty set on medical school, but still checking out my options. I am still intrigued by podiatry and want a chance to check it out in person. I mentioned this to my dad and he said something along the lines of "I know you can be more than JUST a podiatrist". I know he didn't mean it to sound offensive..this is a guy that has the upmost respect for everyone...but he is rather old school (graduated medschool in 64) and sees it as an easy way out. So in a way, being a child of a doctor does change one's decision a bit. I'm not banking on that and if I get the chance to shadow a podiatrist and love it then I'll do it...that simple.

This has nothing to do with your dad but is more general. I find it interesting how some old school MDs will look down on non-MD health professionals when back when they went to med school it wasnt even that competitive to get into. I know an MD who got in with a 2.6 GPA back 25 years ago. Just interesting to think about.
 
This has nothing to do with your dad but is more general. I find it interesting how some old school MDs will look down on non-MD health professionals when back when they went to med school it wasnt even that competitive to get into. I know an MD who got in with a 2.6 GPA back 25 years ago. Just interesting to think about.
I agree totally.^

Not too long ago, most people/families - talent or not - didn't even have enough money for the tuition needed to go to college and get a bachelor's degree (even though college cost much less back then). Taking expensive admissions tests, jet-setting around for interviews, and financing a med/grad education, etc probably wasn't going to happen for your average Joe with a middle class or poor family - even if he was darn bright. Most of the grad students 50 years ago were people whose family was well off financially and/or ultra-bright students who had enough scholarships to make it work. I'm sure there also used to be even more nepotism going on in medical programs than there is today.

My dad and his siblings went to undergrad, got a bachelors degree, and then probably heard, "congrats, but that's all the education we can afford... good luck with your career," from their parents. They went out, got pretty good jobs, and were grateful. Some of them went to grad school years later when they had saved up the money for it or found an employer willing to help finance that MBA/MA/MS, but it certainly wasn't the way it is today where you just fill out a FAFSA and the checks start rolling in. A lot of their peers from high school had even less opportunity and had to enter the work force with just a HS diploma or maybe a tech school associate degree.

Now, post-Bill Clinton and with student loans as available as they are, pretty much anyone who wants to can afford to go to college - and grad school after that if they have decent grades. I think that's fantastic and really promotes students to work hard, but at the same time, we're really beginning to see the negative results with grad health programs getting insanely competitive. I think the competition level might also part of the reason for all of the ego issues we see among pre-meds and med students today: many of them are first generation doctors with a chip on their shoulder who think they've earned and deserve everything.

A couple of the doctors I worked with during my ER job in undergrad told me that, "there's so much more to medicine than just the foot," in a similar sentiment to what MossPoh stated, but I think that if they saw the residency training that DPMs graduating today get, they'd probably change their tune fairly quickly.
 
A couple of the doctors I worked with during my ER job in undergrad told me that, "there's so much more to medicine than just the foot," in a similar sentiment to what MossPoh stated, but I think that if they saw the residency training that DPMs graduating today get, they'd probably change their tune fairly quickly.

Tell the dermatologist that there is so much more to medicine than just the skin. See what he says in response. Thats the difference. People are unaware that although we specialize early, we are still taught full body phys and path and we still rotate through the various specialties. All we have to do is educate. It will come. 👍
 
It is so funny that the old school doctors didn't even take an MCAT or barely passed their classes and they think so highly of themselves. Oh well
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
True but why be a jack of all trades (or joints) and a master of none? 😱

I have nothing but respect for all physicians, but I have heard from my DO counterparts why podiatry? I usually tell them that I'm a first generation doctor, so the road to a doctorate was very mysterious to me. When I realized what I wanted, the MD door had closed. Class sizes where larger and I screwed around with the app the first time.

So I was left with DO or DPM. I wanted to be a surgeon and as a DO, the odds are against you at getting into the OR. I got a guarantee from the beginning with DPM. I'm very happy with my choice. What I think will be interesting, is to see what road my kids take. Maybe they will be MDs maybe they will be ditch diggers? Who knows, but by that time we'll all probably just get a DC.:laugh:

This post describes exactly my situation. I tried to do dental school (as a first generation doctor) and b/c of not having many advantages I applied late, to the wront schools and just didnt do things the right way. I am a pretty solid in school (not a 4.0) but I work very hard and do pretty well. Honestly, I did not even know about podiatry until about 2 years before applying. I love sports, I love medicine and I want to be a specialist when I graduate. Boom! I found podiatry and now I know it is my calling (I will begin school next month). Forget all those stats about acceptances, money etc... Do your work, be honest about it and all the good things will come right to you!