WinneDaFoo

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
hey guys, first i just wanna say hello to my new classmates!

so the first batch has been sent out, and im sure there are plenty more coming, so i thought it was about time to start this thread, for questions about the school/acceptance/housing/financial aid/etc etc etc

i sent in my acceptance letter, and now don't know what happens next...can anybody fill me in? i guess i could call em, but i figure somebody knows the process already.

hope to see you guys soon.:laugh:

samwise2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i am sooooooooooooooo happy! :)

just got it in nyc. with the scholarship. how exciting. never ever thought i would have a chance!:D :D :D :D :D

About the Ads

photo_girl07

Western Blot Queen
10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
CALIFORNIA BABY!
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Congrats to you all! How exciting :) Go Bruins!

I also made a UCLA C/0 2011 in the allopathic forum.

Does anyone know when 2nd look is? :D

WinneDaFoo

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
i was wondering where u guys were! hahaha. no responses for so long...
anyways....

so i sent in my acceptance letter last week...has anybody talked to the admis office about when they will send us our official packet?

just curious...

i hope to see u guys at 2nd look!

soooo excited,

and yes i think everybody got money this batch.

RyanBruin05

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Accepted here, too... With scholarship... Can't wait to meet my new classmates... you BETTER be cool...

lin1984

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
also accepted! i also didn't think I'd have a chance because I really felt like I screwed up my interview, and I've been getting nothing but rejections/waitlists from a bunch of schools recently. UCLA is definitely my top choice, though (either DG or Drew...we'll see if I have a choice) so it couldn't have worked out any better. i'm really excited to meet you all!!

Mortal_Lessons

H.Perowne
Aug 15, 2006
New England
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey, how much does the scholarship cover? Full ride, half ride, quarter ride? Also, do you think you can receive the scholarship if you're out-of-state? Thanks and congrats to all of you.

kelvin81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Accepted here, too... With scholarship... Can't wait to meet my new classmates... you BETTER be cool...

hahaha, Ryan, are you cool enough to make that statement? LOL jk. I am VERY excited and can't wait to meet you guys all on the second look weekend.

wannabedoc85

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
anyone fill out the FAFSA? I cant find a UCLA SOM code. Do I just submit it to UCLA? Is this the case with most med schools?

About the Ads

kelvin81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
anyone fill out the FAFSA? I cant find a UCLA SOM code. Do I just submit it to UCLA? Is this the case with most med schools?
I remember there was a UCLA MED on the list. It starts with "E" then the number. Deadline for early rewards at all CA schools is 03/02/07. Hope this helps.

Smarty686

lurker
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Congrats to all who were accepted! Since the other forum has gone to sh$t, would you accepted thread people mind letting me know the date of action on your admission status page? Thanx :D

lin1984

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey, how much does the scholarship cover? Full ride, half ride, quarter ride? Also, do you think you can receive the scholarship if you're out-of-state? Thanks and congrats to all of you.

A lot of us got some one-time 5K scholarship, but heard rumors of people getting more. A few were out of state, too, but I could be very wrong. Thanks! Good luck!

lin1984

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Congrats to all who were accepted! Since the other forum has gone to sh$t, would you accepted thread people mind letting me know the date of action on your admission status page? Thanx :D

My status page changed to "Letter Sent 2/23/07" on that day.

WinneDaFoo

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
yea, 23rd it was sent, and 5k.

again...

does anybody know when ucla will send the acutal acceptance packet???

cabound

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If you guys don't mind.... what were some of your stats?

(from a hopeful applicant for next yr :oops: )

About the Ads
C

cowme

For my fellow Out of Staters (or even any outside of LA), when are you all planning on making the move to Westwood?

lin1984

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
For my fellow Out of Staters (or even any outside of LA), when are you all planning on making the move to Westwood?

on a related note, does anyone have any details about the cost of student housing and/or have any recommendations about relatively inexpensive places to live close to campus?

OneDayDoc

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I got in with the 5K scholarship. Letter came here (NYC) sometime this weekend (not sure when as I was coincidentally in LA since Friday).
Congrats to you all, can't wait to meet you guys.

FujiApple

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
The code is E00374.

Oh no! I turned in my fafsa a couple of weeks ago, but I just searched for UCLA, and I didn't see a separate entry for UCLA SOM. I just changed it, but I guess I'm late now. Oh well, no reason to worry about financial aid if I don't even have that coveted acceptance letter. sigh...

OneDayDoc

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
on a related note, does anyone have any details about the cost of student housing and/or have any recommendations about relatively inexpensive places to live close to campus?

I think the UCLA website is a pretty good place to start (note there are more links on the right hand side)

https://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/accepted/housing/?pgID=126

I'm pretty sure there are also University owned apt buildings, but, if I remember correctly from my interview day, few med students used them.

F

flamestodust

Our Jan 15th thread is dead.

Anyone post-interview waiting for a status change still?

photo_girl07

Western Blot Queen
10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
CALIFORNIA BABY!
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

I would probably live in Weyburn Terrace (your gauranteed housing for 2 years :)

About the Ads

kelvin81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I would probably live in Weyburn Terrace (your gauranteed housing for 2 years :)

I'll be your neighbor photogirl:p . My cousin said Weyburn is a very good place to live (only 1 or 2 year-old) even though it's a little pricey.

lin1984

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'll be your neighbor photogirl:p . My cousin said Weyburn is a very good place to live (only 1 or 2 year-old) even though it's a little pricey.

do you know how pricey? haha..i realize that a lot of this info will probably be sent out to us sometime relatively soon, but it's hard not to think about a lot of this stuff.

who's bringing a car w/them? any idea about parking?

I know i should have said this earlier, but congrats to everyone who is gonna be (or thinking about being) a bruin next year!!!

JennyB

10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2006
NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
do you know how pricey? haha..i realize that a lot of this info will probably be sent out to us sometime relatively soon, but it's hard not to think about a lot of this stuff.

I know i should have said this earlier, but congrats to everyone who is gonna be (or thinking about being) a bruin next year!!!

A car is essential in LA. And parking's a b*tch. The parking office hates students, and parking in the apartment area is crap. Parking tickets are handed out like candy, even if you didn't do anything wrong. Parking and traffic are the worst (and only bad) parts about UCLA. Hopefully where ever you live will have parking. :oops:

Apartments here are really expensive. Westwood landlords are really shady, but it's not too bad in places like Brentwood, Palms, Santa Monica, etc. My one bedroom in Brentwood is $1350 per month, which is about average when you're that close to UCLA (about 2 miles). :eek: For more info on unviersity housing, you can go to housing.ucla.edu and click on graduate students. Weyburn's really nice!

I've been around UCLA for awhile, so if you have any questions, you can pm me. I'm not a med student (yet!) though so I don't know any geffen-specific housing info.

kelvin81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Lin, I think we're looking at about $1,100 for a one bedroom apartment. I dont know about other options though. I will bring a car with me since my family lives in Anaheim and I will go back home on the weekend.

WinneDaFoo

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
yea this is your best bet, no wurries for 2 years. 900 for ure own room, including all utilities, cable, dsl, a/c. cant beat that price in los angeles.

so ill be ure neighbors as well. haah.

they said they would send out complete info packets in the next two wks. so look our for that one.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Most students live in Weyburn. I recommend it! The apartments are new and I like living so close to UCLA.

RyanBruin05

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

A bunch of UCLA students live in an area of LA called Palms... it's about 10 minutes from campus... housing is really cheap (compared to other areas) and it's relatively safe. Parking over there SUCKS, though...

Some good housing in Culver City as well.

When I was an undergrad, I had a great place in West Hollywood that was only about 15 minutes away.

Craigslist.org is probably the BEST resource for finding roommates in Los Angeles. I used it 4 times and I always had very good luck.

Hope that helps... any other questions, you can PM me...

pennybridge

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
if you want to live in westwood, you're looking at 1000/mo at least for a STUDIO. One bedrooms start around 1200/mo.

the 900/mo university housing at weyburn terrace is great if you like living in a walk-in closet with adjoining bathroom. I mean, I wouldn't mind it, but it is TINY in there. Just fair warning. Housing prices seem absurd at first but after a while it just becomes normal, then you hear about your friends paying 400/mo for a townhouse in Ohio...... but then you just drive down wilshire to the beach and its all worth it.

go bruins.

OneDayDoc

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
the 21/22 are sat/sunday? are you sure its during the week?

Hah. You are right. I was told the 21-22nd, and looked at my calendar to find the days. Unfortunately, my computer's calendar is on March (when the 21-22nd are during the week), not April. So yes, it looks like a Saturday and Sunday. But those dates should be correct.

My bad. See you all there.

Sekiray

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2005
Status (Visible)
does anyone know if having a motorcycle around campus would be a dumb idea? What about a bicycle?

The only thing im definitely set on not bringing is a car.
Any thoughts?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.