~~The UCLA -- Ive been accepted thread !!!~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know if having a motorcycle around campus would be a dumb idea? What about a bicycle?

The only thing im definitely set on not bringing is a car.
Any thoughts?

There are a lot of people on campus with motorcycles and mopeds, and the parking is pretty convenient and I think it's free! If you have a motorcycle, I'd bring it...the hills in the Westwood apartment area are killer!

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of people on campus with motorcycles and mopeds, and the parking is pretty convenient and I think it's free! If you have a motorcycle, I'd bring it...the hills in the Westwood apartment area are killer!

Thanks for your thoughts. What about the safety aspect?
I know riding a motorcycle is obviously not the safest thing in the world, but in my area (nor cal), it is pretty easy since traffic is nonexistent. I know traffic sucks in LA, but does that also increase the fatality rate of motorcyclists?

I know riding a motorcycle is obviously not the safest thing in the world, but in my area (nor cal), it is pretty easy since traffic is nonexistent. I know traffic sucks in LA, but does that also increase the fatality rate of motorcyclists?

I don't know what the fatality rate of motorcyclists in LA is, but from what I've seen, it's safer to be in a motorcylce than it is to be a pedestrian or a bicyclist. I've seen and known people who've gotten hit by cars in Westwood while walking around. I think bicyclists are in even more danger, just because they can come out of no where and are usually not going with the traffic. For motorcycles, I think as long as you're not trying to weave through traffic at crazy speeds, you'll be fine. When I'm sitting in traffic on Wilshire or on the 405, I definitely feel a bit jealous for the motorcyclists who can pass right through it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Not that it's relevant to UCLA acceptance or I am trying to scare you, but I've known two motorcyclists both from UCLA School of medicine (the only ones I knew though), one of them got severely injured and spent six months in the hospital, and another one got killled. Bith were on the freeway at the moment. From my personal observation, you're Ok on the motorcycle if you are going around Westwood, but try not to get out on that thing to the big city streets or freeways.

Not that it's relevant to UCLA acceptance or I am trying to scare you, but I've known two motorcyclists both from UCLA School of medicine (the only ones I knew though), one of them got severely injured and spent six months in the hospital, and another one got killled. Bith were on the freeway at the moment. From my personal observation, you're Ok on the motorcycle if you are going around Westwood, but try not to get out on that thing to the big city streets or freeways.

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest driving on the freeways in a motorcycle either.

motorcycle = donorcycle

there's a reason UCLA's transplant program is badass

call the office and ask when we will hear anything about second look day/housing from their end?

just curious.

call the office and ask when we will hear anything about second look day/housing from their end?

just curious.

i keep seeing 4/21-22 on the UCLA class of 2011 allo thread so I'm assuming that's correct.

just curious.

They told me in the next few weeks we should hear something about it. I called bec I am OOS and want to book an economical flight :)

Did any of you get any sort of confirmation that your letter of intent to register was received?
It feels strange not to be 100% sure that they received it. :oops:

I'm kinda paranoid sometimes, and I called the office to verify that they received it. They'll check for you.

I'm kinda paranoid sometimes, and I called the office to verify that they received it. They'll check for you.

yeah, I called the office to confirm that they received the letter and they checked :) Also, they mentioned that we'll get stuff in the mail regarding Second Look (no date mentioned)....:cool:

i called to check as well...its kinda nice to hear them say "congratulations"..
haha :)

they didnt give me a date as to when to expect anything either...but im guessing it shud be soon if 2nd look is 21st.

ucla is my first choice...but im goin to 2nd look for the free food...anybody with me???

haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I m right behind you Winny:p

Hi, congratulations for those of you who got into UCLA med school. I'm applying in June and I've had UCLA as my #1 for a long time.

Can you guys post your stats and extracurrics and misc. things?

Also, can you guys say what it is you like about UCLA? like the program, the area, etc.

Thanks!

so yea...i didnt do that mdapps thing, and ppl r really shy about this kinda stuff...so ill spell my life out for ya:

the std dev on avg stats for schools is pretty darn large in my opinion-so dont be too discouraged to begin with.

i had a 3.8/3.8science 31q mcat from ucsd-bio major (dont double major or do minors unless you want em --makes no diff on ure app).
took 25% of my classes p/np (DO IT-no adcom looks at ure p/np classes as anything less-and it saves u a lot of stress)
volunteered for a year.
research for 6 months (no pubs)
shadowed for 6 months.
various clubs (nothing significant)
TA for two classes
took two years off to take my mcats/apply properly/relax-was a sub teacher/took comm college business classes in the meanwhile

TAKING THE TIME TO DO URE APP PROPERLY/EARLY IS THE KEY

pretty much ucla is the sexiest school on earth for me because they baby you thru med school-very student oriented atmosphere (low class time-profs very accessable)-the area is awesome (i live 20 mi away) and its sunny (i hate the cold)-highly touted program/lots of research money-awesome sports teams-part of a university.

Hey all!

Where are you folks staying for second look? I want to stay in Westwood. Any suggestions from locals? :rolleyes:

Hi, congratulations for those of you who got into UCLA med school. I'm applying in June and I've had UCLA as my #1 for a long time.

Also, can you guys say what it is you like about UCLA? like the program, the area, etc.

Thanks!

I fell in UCLA for some of the reasons mentioned earlier....amazing school, integrated curriculm, laid-back atmosphere (P/NP grading), clinical opps, location, sunshine, proximity to an undergrad campus, research opps, in-state tuition, and the students seemed really happy :love:

Hey all!

Where are you folks staying for second look? I want to stay in Westwood. Any suggestions from locals? :rolleyes:

You can stay at the W...and drop a thousand dollars. :D But seriously, there's not really any cheap hotels in Westwood. I'd check out Santa Monica and take the Big Blue Blus to UCLA.

they offer housing for second look wknd. were supposed to hear something about that this coming wk...

i plan to just commute.

Congrats, you guys, on getting into UCLA! Have to admit I'm jealous ;) & hope to be joining this thread soon! :) Congrats again & good luck in MED SCHOOL! :luck: :D

Thanks!

Hey there,

So in terms of stats, feel free to have a look at my mdapps profile.

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=7610

Not on there in detail is that I have a ton of research experience and some publications.

Good luck with your process! I liked UCLA because it seemed like (other than the obvious weather/beautiful campus) a nice environment for med school in that the students actually seemed happy and collaborative. The P/F all 4 years would really be good for letting people enjoy the subject matter, instead of worrying all the time about getting honors. Also, their research is fantastic and that is important to me. Lastly, as an athlete, you can't beat living SoCal! Good luck!

Samwise

I plan to commute as well. Hm, I have one free room at home. Maybe I should rent it out to someone that weekend. jk :laugh: About my stats, I m a pretty average applicant. I will make a profile on mdapplicant soon.

UCLA 2007 Match List:
we get to do whatever we want, and stay in socal, life is good :)

Plastics 1
Harvard

Dermatology 11
2 ucla
ucsf
stanford
ucsd
wash u
mayo
oregon
UT houston
rush
St. lukes

Rad Onc 2
stanford
ucla

Ortho
Harvard
baylor
usc

Ent 1
columbia

Neuro surg 1
north western

Optho 6
2 ucla
columbia
univ of washington
univ chicago
miami

Uro 5
Harvard
nyu
ucla
wayne state
kaiser

Rads 6
wash u
stanford
BU
usc
harbor ucla
maine

EM 9
2 harbor ucla
2 usc
hopkins
ucla
univ chicago
ucsd
lincoln

Anesth 14
3 ucla
3 usc
2 loma linda
uc davis
Harvard
ucsf
stanford
duke
univ washington

G surg 12
3 ucla
harbor ucla
stanford
hopkins
BU
kaiser
univ washington
utah
temple
St. marys

OB/GYN 11
2 ucla
harbor ucla
Harvard
hopkins
u penn
stanford
santa clara
uc davis
St. barbaras
kaiser

IM 26
3 ucla
4 ucsf
2 cedars
2 olive view ucla
2 stanford
2 white memor
2 kaiser
2 davies
2 nyu
2 scripps
tulane
uci
hopkins

Med Peds 3
ucla
u michigan
banner AZ

Peds 15
5 ucla
2 uci
2 kaiser
ucsf
harbor ucla
oakland
uc davis
loma linda
upmc

Family 13
4 ucla
5 kaiser
white memor
swedish
o connor
something I can't read my own hand writing

Path 3
Harvard
harbor ucla
usc

PM&R 3
2 los angeles va
univ washington

Psych 10
2 stanford
2 ucsd
ucla
harvard
u michigan
cedars
harbor ucla

Neurology 3
2 ucla
hopkins

wow...you guys, thanks. all this stuff is great. I'm falling more in love with UCLA. Im also happy because it seems that my stats are qualified for that school in all areas..but like they say, its a crapshoot.

keep the stats and good stuff about UCLA coming, i'd love to hear more.

also, do you guys have more suggestions (i know winnie said apply early) regarding to applying and getting accepted to UCLA. Ill be giving them my best shot june 1st.

Winnie, Thanks for posting the matchlist. I was looking for it.

wow...you guys, thanks. all this stuff is great. I'm falling more in love with UCLA. Im also happy because it seems that my stats are qualified for that school in all areas..but like they say, its a crapshoot.

keep the stats and good stuff about UCLA coming, i'd love to hear more.

also, do you guys have more suggestions (i know winnie said apply early) regarding to applying and getting accepted to UCLA. Ill be giving them my best shot june 1st.

Have your letter of recs done early, as well.

Also, when writting your UCLA secondary take time to actively compose your answers (a few drafts and revisions really helps). And turn it in early. And use your interview day to learn from the students (attend a class..walk over to the undergrad campus..hang out with MS).

Good Luck!:)

Hey guys! I was accepted mid-February! Can't wait to meet all you guys at second look weekend.

I'm soooooooo jealous of you guys. UCLA is awesome. It's true that everyone is really laid back. And the new Ronald Reagan Medical Center is finally done! but they say its opening will be delayed again with opening day sometime early next year. I'm writing this about 100 feet from the UCLA OR as I dream about actually being a med student here haha. For now, just a lowly undergrad.

calls tmm and has an update on when we will get the official acceptance packet, lemme know.

im tired of calling the office, but am damn curious. hahaha.

g'day!

calls tmm and has an update on when we will get the official acceptance packet, lemme know.

im tired of calling the office, but am damn curious. hahaha.

g'day!

Winne, I called them earlier this week and was told that we would get all the information we need from housing to financial aid in a FEW WEEKs. I guess we just have to wait:cool:

Thanks!

As I promised, I just made a profile on mdapplicant.com.
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7679

UCLA 2007 Match List:
we get to do whatever we want, and stay in socal, life is good :)

Plastics 1
Harvard

Dermatology 11
2 ucla
ucsf
stanford
ucsd
wash u
mayo
oregon
UT houston
rush
St. lukes

Rad Onc 2
stanford
ucla

Ortho
Harvard
baylor
usc

Ent 1
columbia

Neuro surg 1
north western

Optho 6
2 ucla
columbia
univ of washington
univ chicago
miami

Uro 5
Harvard
nyu
ucla
wayne state
kaiser

Rads 6
wash u
stanford
BU
usc
harbor ucla
maine

EM 9
2 harbor ucla
2 usc
hopkins
ucla
univ chicago
ucsd
lincoln

Anesth 14
3 ucla
3 usc
2 loma linda
uc davis
Harvard
ucsf
stanford
duke
univ washington

G surg 12
3 ucla
harbor ucla
stanford
hopkins
BU
kaiser
univ washington
utah
temple
St. marys

OB/GYN 11
2 ucla
harbor ucla
Harvard
hopkins
u penn
stanford
santa clara
uc davis
St. barbaras
kaiser

IM 26
3 ucla
4 ucsf
2 cedars
2 olive view ucla
2 stanford
2 white memor
2 kaiser
2 davies
2 nyu
2 scripps
tulane
uci
hopkins

Med Peds 3
ucla
u michigan
banner AZ

Peds 15
5 ucla
2 uci
2 kaiser
ucsf
harbor ucla
oakland
uc davis
loma linda
upmc

Family 13
4 ucla
5 kaiser
white memor
swedish
o connor
something I can't read my own hand writing

Path 3
Harvard
harbor ucla
usc

PM&R 3
2 los angeles va
univ washington

Psych 10
2 stanford
2 ucsd
ucla
harvard
u michigan
cedars
harbor ucla

Neurology 3
2 ucla
hopkins

Thanks for this.
I have been told, unfortunately, that UCLA had 16 people who didn't match (had to enter the scramble) this year. This is to me, and, apparantly, to the Dean, a very high and distressing number for them. I was curious if anyone out there, ahem UCLAStudent, had any insight into why this was so high.

So what will you do for next year if you dont match? 5th year or research or something like that?

Thanks for this.
I have been told, unfortunately, that UCLA had 16 people who didn't match (had to enter the scramble) this year. This is to me, and, apparantly, to the Dean, a very high and distressing number for them. I was curious if anyone out there, ahem UCLAStudent, had any insight into why this was so high.

I haven't heard anything like that. It's likely that some of them were trying to match into super competitive specialties despite advice to the contrary. The rest of the match list is stellar, so I doubt it's a problem with UCLA.

So what will you do for next year if you dont match? 5th year or research or something like that?

Yes. I know someone from another school who didn't match (with a 260 board score) and did research in the following year while she reapplied.

that the 16 wanted a residency that they were not really qualified for to begin with,

i mean isnt that pretty much the only assumable reason when u have 11 derm match's?

Hey all!

I would highly recommend Hotel Angeleno. It's a very short distance from ucla (they have shuttle service to the medical center) and the hotel is beautiful. I stayed there when i had my interview at ucla and i loved it. Just tell them you're there for ucla med school interview or something along that line and they'll give you a student discount. I think I spent like $124 after tax and everything. Free valet parking and wireless internet too. IT's great!

that the 16 wanted a residency that they were not really qualified for to begin with,

i mean isnt that pretty much the only assumable reason when u have 11 derm match's?

Exactly.

I would highly recommend Hotel Angeleno. It's a very short distance from ucla (they have shuttle service to the medical center) and the hotel is beautiful. I stayed there when i had my interview at ucla and i loved it. Just tell them you're there for ucla med school interview or something along that line and they'll give you a student discount. I think I spent like $124 after tax and everything. Free valet parking and wireless internet too. IT's great!

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the Claremont, but I look into the Hotel Angeleno :) Very excited to see you all soon :p

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the Claremont, but I look into the Hotel Angeleno :) Very excited to see you all soon :p

the Claremont was a fleabag, but it was also dirtcheap...parking was the only issue for me (but not difficult if you're willing to pay $10/day)

Motorcycles are perfect for Westwood!
-UCLA Alumna

be more ppl posting here in a couple days. letters were sent out again. if u had friends to tell or something. just fyi.

I stayed at Claremont when I was there for my interview. The room was not dirty, but everything was so old that it made me feel icky. My room was on the first floor, and had a huge window that extended from the ceiling to the floor. Unfortunately the lock on the window was broken, so someone from the outside could easily open my window and step into my room. I could not sleep the entire night bc I was afraid that someone would break into my room and do something bad.

It was cheap for a reason. I know I was being paranoid, but just know what you're paying for.

I'm thinking about going to the 2nd look weekend too. Looking forward to meet you guys :)

does anyone know anything about the second look weekend?
WHy is it two days? Do we have to go both days?
They said that the saturday one was more important. Im asking this because I want to book my flight but I cnat do that without knowing their schedule. Anyone help?