The Under 3.0 Club part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
had a 2.9 gpa last year and joined this inspirational forum. bought that up to a cum gpa of 3.05 now and a science gpa of 3.1. need to take my DAT this summer and hopefully ace it. hopefully bring my science gpa even higher this semester. so anything is possible guys! :)

Members don't see this ad.

had a 2.9 gpa last year and joined this inspirational forum. bought that up to a cum gpa of 3.05 now and a science gpa of 3.1. need to take my DAT this summer and hopefully ace it. hopefully bring my science gpa even higher this semester. so anything is possible guys! :)

Great job B!! keep up the good work!

Marion

For those that are sub-3 and still worried, don't fret.

Undergrad: Swarthmore GPA: 2.64
Did a semester at Pomona College: 3.50
Took a couple post-bac classes at UMBC: 3.50
Went to grad school: 3.06

Cumulative: 2.85 GPA
Dat: 18

Worked 5 years as lab tech. Did some volunteer work... maybe 50 hours.

Applied to ~5 schools. Accepted at Maryland. Work hard, get good recs, be solid in your interview, and very importantly if you have a lower GPA write a good essay. Stand out. What separates you from other 3.8gpa/27DAT 22 year old applicants? GPA isn't everything. Life experience, maturity, and reasons why dental school are all important!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Applied to ~5 schools. Accepted at Maryland. Work hard, get good recs, be solid in your interview, and very importantly if you have a lower GPA write a good essay. Stand out. What separates you from other 3.8gpa/27DAT 22 year old applicants? GPA isn't everything. Life experience, maturity, and reasons why dental school are all important!

I am so glad that you posted that. I feel you 100%. GPA is not everything people! Set yourself apart from the thousands of applicants out there. Really put a lot of thought into your personal statement cause it has to really set you apart. If at all possible, get to know some of the people on the admissions committees at the schools you will be applying to, cause it is always a plus to have someone from the inside to already know about you and can vouch for you in a meeting.

Are you a MD resident? I know MD gives preference to residents. I grew up in MD but now live in a different state. I'm still going to apply to MD. I hear their new building is sweet. Great job! Thanks for the inspiring story.

Are you a MD resident? I know MD gives preference to residents. I grew up in MD but now live in a different state. I'm still going to apply to MD. I hear their new building is sweet. Great job! Thanks for the inspiring story.

I am an MD resident. Maybe there is a preference, but it's not as pronounced as other state schools. The building is quite advanced, and if you do get an interview, they'll take you through. It's quite impressive. Very "wired".

I just wanted everyone to know that not all schools are about numbers. The interview at MD is definitely a "get to know you" session. They really want to hear things from your mouth, things that you can't fit on the one page essay. As a matter of fact, we barely touched on my essay. We more talked about life experiences, differences from when I was an undergrad to where I am now in life... what MY concerns were about dental school, being a student again. how I studied for the DATs, was I satisfied with my score... all questions that require a little bit of thought. But it's imperative that you be honest. Was I satisfied with my score? sure. Do i think I could've done better? Yes. And I told them that. I told them that an 18 AA was ok, but I know I could do better. But I was nervous during the exam, and that I actually threw up that day before the exam. And i also said that i could do better, but it wasn't worth taking again b/c i wasn't going to get a 27+.

Complete honesty, held nothing back. I could go on. My "interview" was supposed to be 30 minutes, but it ended up being 50 because it was so much more of a conversation than anything else.

My only advice is to stand out in your essay. If your scores are a bit on the low side, your essay is really your chance to stand out. Why are you different from the other standout GPA/DAT students? Why are you going to contribute to the community.

Oh, and another thing about honesty. The hardest question they asked me was something along the lines of "what role do you see yourself playing as a dental student at UMD?" and i told them, that i basically see myself as another student. i've never been a rah-rah type of guy, student government type student. I told them that i would just be another student, successful in some classes, struggling in others. That I would spend the first few months just 'learning' to be a student again (i've been out of school for about 5 years now). Again, i wasn't there to make stuff up because it sounds good. I was just honest with who i am and what i am.

ok, this is long enough.

best of luck to you. it CAN happen!

What did you get your masters in?

Hey guys! I just found this site today!!

I just graduated from UCLA with nasty GPAs. Still, I'm trying my best to

crack down dental schools!!! Your stories inspired me a lot, so thank you,

everyone. I have lots of questions to ask, but, let me start with GPA.

Currently, I'm taking JC class, anatomy, to make up my GPA. However, I

heard that d schools prefer to see good 4-years college GPA than 2-years.

Is that true? If it is, should I take summer and extension at UCLA or should I take Post Bacc?

**I, also, have questions about post bacc, however, i'll ask it later since, i wrote a lot today~:smuggrin: **

The general consensus is that taking classes at a CC is not preferable, but not the end of the world. Theres 2 or 3 dental schools that dont accept those credits, most allow them. Those that allow them may or may not look at them skeptically. If you do take the classes at a CC, its a really good idea to follow up success at CC level by successful upper level classes at a competitive 4 year university.

Hey,

Have a look at my stats, and please give me your opinions. BTW, Im from Canada, so most likely, I will be applying to NYU.

1ST SEM- math 1/bio1- C psyc-B- chem1(W)
2nd sem- Math2-D bio2-B Chem 1 -B+ eng1 (W)

I do realize these are very, very bad stats. I took calc in h.school, and ended up with 92%, but that was h.school...basically i thought college was going to be very easy, at least for the first year, because I had taken mostly evrything in highschool that I needed to take in college, therfore I didnt attend class regularly, and when test time came, I completely forgot what to do :( So yeah, it is my fault, and a big one, but its my first year. Im willling to put in the time and effort, in my remaining classes, and my BSc, but what are my chances even if I do avg, a 3.6/sem by taking 3 classes/sem...or 4classes/sem ?. And plus, its going to be so much harder to get A's b/c I have no confidence at all. And I have not shadowed yet either. Keep in mind that Im from Canada:)

thanks

nothing dentistry related. it was in plant biology!

Wow, when I read Domonas post above I thought I was reading my biography! I am also attending UMD this upcoming year, and like Domonas I'm an MD resident and had not soo good (~3.0 cum gpa, slightly less sci gpa) from undergrad.

I'm finishing my M.S. in a week and I'm pretty sure that helped me get in. I think it shows initiative to go onto graduate level work, and do well. I worked really hard in all my classes and did well, and I am very thankful that UMD was willing to see that and accepted me.

Don't give up everyone, here are just two cases of individuals getting in!

See you at UMD this fall Domonas!!

Wow domonas gives me hope. I really have to work on my letter this cycle, because I reused my old letter last cycle from 2 cycles ago :eek: . But yes I believe graduate work is a MUST for low GPA applicants. That along with a good DAT that is....

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow domonas gives me hope. I really have to work on my letter this cycle, because I reused my old letter last cycle from 2 cycles ago :eek: . But yes I believe graduate work is a MUST for low GPA applicants. That along with a good DAT that is....

Grad school is a must for low gpa's. I had a 2.78 gpa in undergrad. Went into my MBA program and got a 3.8 gpa. School's do take that into consideration.

Marion

Grad school is a must for low gpa's. I had a 2.78 gpa in undergrad. Went into my MBA program and got a 3.8 gpa. School's do take that into consideration.

Marion

My science GPA is low, so adcom told me to get a SCIENCE masters. Which makes it easier being a science major :)

I'm sure a science master's looks really good, which is what i'm doing, but I could see the benefit to a MBA too. There is a A LOT of business in dentistry, so much so that my uncle (a dentist) thinks i should take an accounting class or two. So I think a little bit of everything is always a good way to go.
All of you on here are great, i'm in the same boat and it is a struggle! I'm just really glad to know that there are so many other motivated people out there like myself that may have just had a different situation than the norm. Good luck to all of you.

Might as well join the club. I have a 3.2 overall but a 2.8 science. I'll be starting some post bacc work soon and possibly an SMP if that doesn't do the trick. If I got 30 credits of straight A's my science would jump to a 3.2 or 3.3. Do you guys think that would be sufficient or do you think that is still too low and I need to head to grad school (this is assuming I get 20's on the DAT this summer).

Hello. I have some questions about my situation on applying to dental schools . I graduated in 05 from with a degree in Marketing and minors in Health and Science. I think I could've done a better job but during my first year, i lost my family member and it was so tough for me. I dont want to use this as an excuse but i just want to say that situation contributed a lot to my low GPA...
Anyhow, I, middle of my 20s realized that I want to pursue my dream career, dentistry. I have always been interested in dentistry so I took some pre-req science courses in my undergrad years such as Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and one semester of physics. I still need to take Organic Chemistry lab and the second part of Physics. My overall GPA was 2.9 which is not great. Above is my situation and here are a few detailed questions.1. Since my overall GPA is not outstanding, what are my options about raising my GPA?Some schools offer post-baccalaureate programs for individuals who want to go back to take prerequisite coursework for medical or dental school. I am not sure if this suits me since I already have some credits from science classes. If I can do this program, will it replace the courses I took before?
2. If I didn't do well in those science courses I took, will retaking those prereqs replace my grade to raise science GPA? I would apply as a non-degree seeking students and take some of the prereq courses I need, is this correct? If I get a good grade by retaking courses, I believe it would show a dedication to imrove my application; I am not sure if it will actually help my GPA.

some say that I have no hope in getting into any dental schools.. what do you guys think? Although my GPA is low, I want to work hard and get into dental school!!!!! Does anyone feel me??

I would really appreciate it if someone can advice me on my situation. Thank you very much.

Hello. I have some questions about my situation on applying to dental schools . I graduated in 05 from with a degree in Marketing and minors in Health and Science. I think I could've done a better job but during my first year, i lost my family member and it was so tough for me. I dont want to use this as an excuse but i just want to say that situation contributed a lot to my low GPA...
Anyhow, I, middle of my 20s realized that I want to pursue my dream career, dentistry. I have always been interested in dentistry so I took some pre-req science courses in my undergrad years such as Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and one semester of physics. I still need to take Organic Chemistry lab and the second part of Physics. My overall GPA was 2.9 which is not great. Above is my situation and here are a few detailed questions.1. Since my overall GPA is not outstanding, what are my options about raising my GPA?Some schools offer post-baccalaureate programs for individuals who want to go back to take prerequisite coursework for medical or dental school. I am not sure if this suits me since I already have some credits from science classes. If I can do this program, will it replace the courses I took before?
2. If I didn't do well in those science courses I took, will retaking those prereqs replace my grade to raise science GPA? I would apply as a non-degree seeking students and take some of the prereq courses I need, is this correct? If I get a good grade by retaking courses, I believe it would show a dedication to imrove my application; I am not sure if it will actually help my GPA.

some say that I have no hope in getting into any dental schools.. what do you guys think? Although my GPA is low, I want to work hard and get into dental school!!!!! Does anyone feel me??

I would really appreciate it if someone can advice me on my situation. Thank you very much.

I'm in the exact situation as you. A close relative died several years and I didn't know how to handle the emotional stress it placed on me. I was too young to really fully get a grip of myself and move on. I did poorly in my first degree, but I decided to pursue another degree full time and reapply in two years. I had a brutal 4 years with 2 F's, lots of D's and C's. Now, I get B+ to A marks because I have the confidence, maturity, and strength to keep going and I learned from my mistakes in the past. I now mentor first year students to focus, set a goal and attain it. I tell them all my mistakes so that they can avoid them. I have 2 more years to go, and I don't dread school anymore because I study with real organization and preparation. K, enough of me.

In terms of you, retaking classes might help, but do ace them if you do. Schools say they like to see trends in your grades where you are progressing and doing better each year. Do you want to go and do another few years like me? That's up to you. Choose a program that you know that you will do well in if you do. Don't blindly take classes and realize you hate it (like essay classes). Let us know what your decision is. PM me if you want to hear more options.

Yah-E..Hopefully you're still reading this. I have a quick question for you. I've read in the first part of this thread (wayyyy in the beginning) that for you to be accepted into the midwestern program you had to call the director and she helped you get in. Could you tell us a little bit more about the details about that? I was looking at the website and was discouraged when i saw it's almost as competitive as dental school itself! When you called or emailed the director what did you tell him? Thanks!!!

Also is there anything wrong with applying to the post baccs in january, hopefully getting in and then applying to dental school? Basically i haven't applied to dental schools yet but doubt my chances in getting in so i kinda want to have a back up so i don't waste another year. I'm not getting any younger!!! =)

fight the good fight kids.

This might sound like a stupid question but are there any masters program that do not require a thesis and research?

This might sound like a stupid question but are there any masters program that do not require a thesis and research?

That's not a stupid question. I was wondering the very same thing in the fall. I checked out all the graduate programs at my, and other local, universities - at first, I could only find one program in a field I wasn't at all interested in. Fortunately, I was able to attend a grad school fair back in November, and discovered a new program that fits my schedule perfectly (12 months), doesn't require a thesis or research, plus it contributes to my career goals. So, to answer your question, these programs DO exist, but they may not exist in every field. I'm doing a Masters in Management (not an MBA) that is geared towards individuals with a science or tech background.

Hey, does it matter whether you go to a CSU(CSUN) or a UC(UCI) school for undergrad in order to get into dental school?? Because I just transfered to UCI and I am almost done with my 3rd quarter here... it's kind of hard for me to adjust to the giant 600 person classes and my grades are suffering, I pretty much have straight C's (for Ochem's and the bio's like genetics and biochem.) .. now I'm thinking if I should just go to a local CSU like CSUN and retake the classes, where I kno I can do much better in. What do you guys think??? PLEASE any suggestions would help.

after talking to many dental schools, ive been told that if you have under a 3.0, you should not take a non-dental related masters.

graduate couses DO NOT raise your gpa at most dental schools, they take it into consideration that you have a 3.8 gpa, but still look at your undergraduate overall, science BCP and SCIENCE GPA.

therefore, i believe it is more of a risk to take a masters that you know you will not use in the future. I suggest getting a 2nd bachelors, doing a formal postback, or at the least doing a informal post back.

As for me, im doing a formal postbac and retaking my DATs (22+ hopefully) in order to become more compeitive.

however for those of you that have 2.8+, if you score well on the DAT (20s) and have alot of good extracurricular, apply early and you should be fine and recieve a few interviews.

good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, does it matter whether you go to a CSU(CSUN) or a UC(UCI) school for undergrad in order to get into dental school?? Because I just transfered to UCI and I am almost done with my 3rd quarter here... it's kind of hard for me to adjust to the giant 600 person classes and my grades are suffering, I pretty much have straight C's (for Ochem's and the bio's like genetics and biochem.) .. now I'm thinking if I should just go to a local CSU like CSUN and retake the classes, where I kno I can do much better in. What do you guys think??? PLEASE any suggestions would help.

It doesn't matter where you take your classes as long as they are from a 4 year university.

after talking to many dental schools, ive been told that if you have under a 3.0, you should not take a non-dental related masters.

graduate couses DO NOT raise your gpa at most dental schools, they take it into consideration that you have a 3.8 gpa, but still look at your undergraduate overall, science BCP and SCIENCE GPA.

therefore, i believe it is more of a risk to take a masters that you know you will not use in the future. I suggest getting a 2nd bachelors, doing a formal postback, or at the least doing a informal post back.

As for me, im doing a formal postbac and retaking my DATs (22+ hopefully) in order to become more compeitive.

however for those of you that have 2.8+, if you score well on the DAT (20s) and have alot of good extracurricular, apply early and you should be fine and recieve a few interviews.

good luck

I was thinking of doing a postbac except you can't get fincial aid for it since it isn't a formal degree and I'll have to start paying back my undergrad loans if I don't continue with a degree. The other option is a 2nd bachelors. Does that mean have to complete another 4 years of undergrad?

post baccs will only be beneficial to those who have taken no science or minimal science classes but not to the people who already have a B.A or B.S in a science major plus the problem of no financial aid

post baccs will only be beneficial to those who have taken no science or minimal science classes but not to the people who already have a B.A or B.S in a science major plus the problem of no financial aid

Is this an factual information or an opinion? ie: called administion personel, information from connections, friends, etc. v.s. self deductive conclusion (would like to know since it is stating a lot)

Hi all, for those of you that have applied to masters/post-bacc/re-applicant programs, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing what type of information you stressed in your personal statement and application.

I've been rejected almost immediately by the programs I've applied to so far (Nova MBS, Creighton Post-bacc, UCLA re-applicant, Stanford MS) so I'm wondering if there's something terribly wrong with my application.

I completely understand where you are coming from. Post Baccs are not easy to get into, especially when the programs accept about 4 to 5 students and they are looking at applicant pools of 60-100 students. I have applied to a few programs and have been rejected in some cases because of lack of minority or low income status.

I have recently been considering a 1 year MBA program while applying to dent school this cycle. But I dont know if this will be benefical compared to an MS. I am not sure how the admission committee will look at the MBA.

my other concern is the lovely 37K price tag and what to do with the MBA if despite it, come next year there is no acceptance from a dental school. I will be left with a hefty increase to my debt and not much to go with it.

What are some places to look at for an MS program? I have gone through many local university websites, with little info.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Is this an factual information or an opinion? ie: called administion personel, information from connections, friends, etc. v.s. self deductive conclusion (would like to know since it is stating a lot)

fact. This is what I was told after inquiring with the dean/director of admissions for a Post bacc program.

that would depend on the program in question. some post baccs are directly linked with certain dental schools, those are for students with low gpas who show promise based on other areas ie., dat scores. as i have said in another post, these are in high demand and somewhat difficult to get into, but once you are in and can maintain your grades, you are pretty much set for an acceptance to a school next time you apply.

there are also post baccs offered by schools that do not have a dental program linked with that school - in most cases those are the post baccs for non science majors.

always good to look at each program individually and see what it has to offer.

that would depend on the program in question. some post baccs are directly linked with certain dental schools, those are for students with low gpas who show promise based on other areas ie., dat scores. as i have said in another post, these are in high demand and somewhat difficult to get into, but once you are in and can maintain your grades, you are pretty much set for an acceptance to a school next time you apply.

what are some of these post bacc programs? Maybe you could list a couple or provide website addresses? I certainly havent come across any post baccs of such nature that guarantee acceptance to dental school upon completion. Sounds more like your talking about a SMP than a post bacc program.

Hello fellow students 3.0 and under. I'm debating on what's the possibility of dental school for me. My situation:

- Graduated Spr. 06 with a cumulative 2.92 GPA in Chemical Engineering.
- Science GPA is probably around the 2.4??
- Failures I had: F in ochem 1, retook and got a C. Got a D- in ochem 2, didn't retake since my major didn't require me to. C+ in all 3 physics classes.

Still need to retake Ochem and take cell biology. So basically I failed Ochem twice. I know D schools usually do not like "retake of classes."

I got a job around 3 months ago and its a solid job BUT I still have the desire to go to D school. Do I still have a good chance on getting in? I would just hate to quit my job right now since it is very difficult to get a job in my area with my degree. Basically I'm stuck??

I was in the same boat… You have to ask yourself if dentistry is the only thing you see yourself doing. If based on your experiences: following dentists, volunteer work and etc… it is truly the only thing you want to do with your career (life), then you have some hard work ahead of you. Here is what I did when I started out:

You need to set up a spreadsheet and see how many new classes it will take to get your GPA up too being competitive. Find out what is competitive for the school you want to enter. Retake all of the pre-dental classes and ace them. It will take a long time to bring up your GPA this way, but the extra review of the science classes will help with your DAT. Then ace the DAT. I decided on another plan after looking at it this way, but it helped me set goals. So I wish you luck if you go that way.

You can look at post-bac programs, but I found even those have a GPA requirement. If you can get into a post-bac program you are almost guaranteed a spot at the school you did the post-bac program with as long as you have good DAT scores. So look there.

Here is what I finally did: The only saving grace for my dental career was living in Texas. They have a program called Academic Fresh Start that allows Texas students to restart and have a clean transcript. Here is the catch: It only removes classes ten years or older, and you have to take an additional 90hrs of coursework after claiming “Fresh Start”. That was fine for me because my science background didn’t include the majority of science classes needed. So I was taking extra course anyway. Based on AADSAS calculations I had a 2.3ish overall GPA, but by doing “Fresh Start” I now have a 3.6 GPA when I applied to the Texas d-schools this year. Fresh start only applies to Texas schools and is for Texas residents. So if you can move to Texas… well, you get the idea.

Again, good luck.

I just found out I was accepted into the Barry University 2-year MBS program. Does anyone here go/know someone who goes to Barry for the MBS? I can't tell if this program will really help me or if they're just a fraud trying to take my 50K. Something about the school/website just doesn't seem right, but maybe I'm just being too skeptical.

Also, if I do this 2-year program in FL, does that make me a legal resident of FL or will I still be a resident of TX? Thank you!!

Not true. I had a B.A. went to a post bac and got in to d-school. Liars:(

I just found out I was accepted into the Barry University 2-year MBS program. Does anyone here go/know someone who goes to Barry for the MBS? I can't tell if this program will really help me or if they're just a fraud trying to take my 50K. Something about the school/website just doesn't seem right, but maybe I'm just being too skeptical.

Also, if I do this 2-year program in FL, does that make me a legal resident of FL or will I still be a resident of TX? Thank you!!

Maybe you should consider taking a bunch of night classes in business and art at a community college to bring up the GPA. With a 22 on the DAT, you probably barely missed the cut because of the GPA. If you feel like the only way you can do this is by getting a Masters, then look at UNT Health Science Center in Fort Worth. They have a program for people who want to go to med school but don't have the GPA or whatever. They said 90% of their students went into M.D. programs last year, after only one year of courses. I don't know if this would apply to d-school, but it is at a state school with state cost. You also, keep your residency.

I have a question for all of you very smart and determined people...
I have ten hours of graduate work that I can transfer, and I am probably going to apply to a masters program for spring. The thing is that I've applied to dental school twice, so this year will be my third app. My overall application is not terrifble, but I know after a masters I could get into dental school.
So, is it true that dental schools will not accept you if they see you are in a masters program and would have to leave to attend dental school? I really don't have a problem entering a masters program because I hate having to work the crappy job I'm in and I really love school. I just would hate to have to wait another two years to be in dental school. I understand that may be the case, but it would be great if i could possibly get in next year. Has anyone left a Master's program because they were accepted to dental school?

hey guys. first off i wanted to say that i love this group, since I am a fellow member myself. i myself have a 2.96 cgpa and a 3.1 sgpa and am actually planning on retaking a couple of courses to revamp those numbers and i still have a couple of years left in undergrad. but i was wondering what type of a score should i be shooting for during the DAT to compensate for my gpa. OBVIOUSLY, im going to try my hardest and get the highest score possible, but i was just kind of curious to know.thanks. and i love these success stories!!

Reactions: 1 user
hey guys. first off i wanted to say that i love this group, since I am a fellow member myself. i myself have a 2.96 cgpa and a 3.1 sgpa and am actually planning on retaking a couple of courses to revamp those numbers and i still have a couple of years left in undergrad. but i was wondering what type of a score should i be shooting for during the DAT to compensate for my gpa. OBVIOUSLY, im going to try my hardest and get the highest score possible, but i was just kind of curious to know.thanks. and i love these success stories!!

Well, welcome to the club!! Great to have you!

Marion

Has anyone left a Master's program because they were accepted to dental school?

No, it is unacceptable to leave your masters program for dental school. Completely unacceptable, even if u did get away with it, your supervisor will put u on the 'ahem ____ list'.

No, it is unacceptable to leave your masters program for dental school. Completely unacceptable, even if u did get away with it, your supervisor will put u on the 'ahem ____ list'.

really?
not that this affects me.
but i know it is very possible to leave a master's program for work, and come back and finish up ur degree. A lot of people do this, putting school on hold and pursue something else for a while.

really?
not that this affects me.
but i know it is very possible to leave a master's program for work, and come back and finish up ur degree. A lot of people do this, putting school on hold and pursue something else for a while.

hhmm, this in regards to Canadian schools if people are trying to get into meds or dents etc. the US might be more flexible, I don't know.

you do keep your residency if u go to school in a different state..im a tx resident, did my MS at NYUCD and still a tx resident, going to BARRY for the post-bacc1 yr prog...and still am going to keep my residency in tx...just dont change your drivers license...thats when your residency changes!

I have a question for all of you very smart and determined people...
I have ten hours of graduate work that I can transfer, and I am probably going to apply to a masters program for spring. The thing is that I've applied to dental school twice, so this year will be my third app. My overall application is not terrifble, but I know after a masters I could get into dental school.
So, is it true that dental schools will not accept you if they see you are in a masters program and would have to leave to attend dental school? I really don't have a problem entering a masters program because I hate having to work the crappy job I'm in and I really love school. I just would hate to have to wait another two years to be in dental school. I understand that may be the case, but it would be great if i could possibly get in next year. Has anyone left a Master's program because they were accepted to dental school?

It depends on the school you are applying to, different schools have different policies on finishing current degrees.

For example UCLA - you do not have to finish your masters.

USC - you must finish your masters, if you are accepted, but are still in your masters or did not complete it before the start date of the USC dental cycle, your acceptance will be relinquished.

so, ask the schools you are going to apply to, in a general sense, it is not a good idea to do so.

Thank you for the input...I'll need to contact the schools and find this out. I would like to start a masters this spring, so that will mean i won't be able to attend dental school for two years. I really probably need the masters though, so I think this is my only option.

It depends on the school you are applying to, different schools have different policies on finishing current degrees.

For example UCLA - you do not have to finish your masters.

USC - you must finish your masters, if you are accepted, but are still in your masters or did not complete it before the start date of the USC dental cycle, your acceptance will be relinquished.

so, ask the schools you are going to apply to, in a general sense, it is not a good idea to do so.

I believe most schools are not going to accept anyone if it would interfere with completion of a masters at the start of dental school.

Hi guys, I was wondering whether I should submit my application now or wait for Spring grades and submit around July 4th.

BCP would go up from a 2.96 to 3.01
Total Science would go up from 3.04 to 3.12
Cumulative would go up from 3.33 to 3.36

I know it's better to apply earlier, but waiting would push my BCP just over the 3.0 mark, which I believe is the minimum required by some schools.

And I won't be retaking my DATs until mid August anyway.

Also, how does rounding for GPAs work? I've rounded to the hundreths place, but if schools round to the tenths, then I'm set and will submit my application now.

I would appreciate any thoughts!