The Waiting Game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KimR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How late is it in the app cycle? I got all of my application files complete in September/October. MCAT of 27, GPA of 3.4 and lots of health care experience. I have had one interview, a few rejections, and I haven't heard from 5 schools. When do I really start worrying? If I haven't heard from a med school after 4 months does that mean that I won't be interviewed? I'm so discouraged. Please let me know what you think.

------------------
"Every individual matters.
Every individual has a role to play.
Every individual makes a difference."
-Jane Goodall

Members don't see this ad.

There's no need to worry just yet.

While I don't think it's early in the cycle, it's certainly not as late as you probably think. It's approaching the late part of the cycle, but there's still a lot of schools out there who don't fill up quite so quickly. There are also plenty of schools who get face tremendous turnover come May 15th (the AAMC deadline for deciding where you're going).

Where was your one interview? What are the five you haven't heard from?

Tim of New York City.

Well, I haven't heard from MCP Hahnemann, NYMC, PIMS or Emory. My interview was at USF. It was last month, went well! I just wish I could take my mind off of this app cycle - I will be so glad when all of this is over. The not knowing anything is the worst. Will I get interviewed, will I get rejected, will I never hear anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
KimR,

I AM FEELING YOUR PAIN!!! The waiting for responses is AWFUL even when you hold an acceptance. I'm still quite faithful to my mailman and wait patiently everyday until he comes before starting on my day's errands or going to work
wink.gif

Ahh what a pathetic and neurotic med student I will soon become!!! haha

Don't worry, you are NOT alone!! Good luck and I hope you hear soon
smile.gif

Poet

KimR,

If you're still in school, make sure you don't flub up this semester because of all this application business. According to friends of mine at NYMC they interview into early April, and there's quite a turnover on May 15th for them.

Good luck.

Tim of New York City.

No, I'm not in school this term. I'm working full time, and, like Poet, I'm quite faithful to the mailman AND my voice mail! I'm working full-time for a science education program, which is quite a change from my hospital experience and bio degree, but I'm learning a lot about marketing and computers. I've also realized that I don't want to be anything but a doctor - I miss the patient contact and the flow of hospitals and doctor's offices.

Thanks Tim for the info on NYMC.

[This message has been edited by KimR (edited 01-26-2000).]

KimR-

Have you heard from Emory yet? I sent them my secondary in August and I still haven't heard anything besides application received.

I am in a similar boat -- I am still waiting to hear from 6 schools and I am wondering if it is too late. Some of the schools (I think Emory is one of them) end their interviews in February. This is not good news to me.

GCC -

No word from Emory, I don't know when their interviews end. Anyone know when NYMC or MCPH end their interview seasons?

Kimr

Mind if I ask why you waited this late? Did you take the August MCAT? Just wondering.

Spang, I actually had all of my applications complete on Sept./Oct. I took the April '99 MCAT and had my AMCAS stuff done in June. All this waiting is making me tired.

Poet,

I thought you decided to go to NYCOM. it seems like you're undecided for now :) keep me update on your application process.

Hi Nontrad!!!

I do have an acceptance to NYCOM, which I'm holding onto with two hands, tightly grasped and thanking God for everyday.. however, there is ONE school that can compete with my matriculation to NYCOM: My state school.

I didn't think I would get an interview there, and I did, and the tuition is REALLY looking GOOD, we're talking a difference of 28,000/yr (factoring in tuition and living expenses) So, being the frugal miser that I am, I think I would be foolish not to consider my state school as an option.

I didn't realize what a difference there was until I actually went to the interview! One can even pay back the majority of it by working in state upon graduation. Not too shabby.

So, its not that I have any doubts or discontentions with NYCOM, I just have to consider the financial aspect which unfortunately is a big deal in my case. Let me know if you have any questions my email is
[email protected]

smile.gif

KimR-

Thanks for the response. The waiting is making me tired as well. I cannot understand. My secondaries were sent in by the end of August(and I took the April '99 MCAT) and I am still waiting. Its funny how everyone says to send the applications in early, but when you do, you still have to wait for so many months.

Sorry, I don't know anything about NYMC or MCPH. You might want to check their website or call them (if they'll allow you to call).

I was thinking about that too - how I got all my apps in so soon and it doesn't seem to have mattered. Maybe your numbers determine where you fall in the interview cycle, and getting secondaries in doesn't matter as much as thought!

Don't give up hope KimR!

Did you get any news from USF?

Have you sent out follow up letters or called? I've heard that is sometimes helpful. If you have done this what did they say?

------------------
-Tanya
Class of '05 at ????
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise" -Maya Angelou "Still I Rise"

Yep, I have followed up. I sent them my most recent grades as well as thank you notes, but no word yet. I will let you know!