The waiting game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPharaohX

Free...your...mind...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, senior here, August MCATer, 3.84 GPA and 28 on MCAT (31 combined, my physical dropped second time around)

I'm a FL resident and UF student and would like to attend UF Medical except I still have NOT heard from them. My application was complete with them on November 4th.

I was anticipating a reply in January and now that it IS January I'm getting worried as I've heard NOTHING, not even an e-mail.

Anybody in a similar situation? From experience, when would you say I would hear a reply from them, given my application completion date?

:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I sympathize with your situation. 3.6 GPA, 28 MCAT - I've been ignored by half the schools in OH, and interviewed and waitlisted by the other half. I didn't even get accepted at the osteopathic school, but ended up on the waitlist there as well. Now, I'm applying to outta-state osteopaths, which is making me extremely nervous, because I cannot afford to go to an out-of-state school. In my opinion, a 28 MCAT is a very tricky place to be, because you're not good enough for the allopathic programs, but you might be just a little too good for the osteopathic programs, so they aren't likely to accept you either. All I can do is pray that some school will have mercy on me, and pluck me off the waitlist at the very end of the cycle.

In my opinion, a 28 MCAT is a very tricky place to be, because you're not good enough for the allopathic programs, but you might be just a little too good for the osteopathic programs, so they aren't likely to accept you either.

That can't be true, is it? A 28 should get you into allopathic schools. Especially those state schools that love a student with a 3.8 27-28 mcat over a 3.4 33+ mcat. Since it's early, maybe they are wooing students who will most definitely not go there (especially the allopathic schools). Some state med schools get >90% waitlist movement it seems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would a state school prefer lower numbers? Anyway...

To the OP: call the school's admissions office and make sure they aren't missing anything; most likely your file is still "under review" The good news is that you haven't gotten a rejection letter from them yet! My advice is to call, and maybe mail them updated grades or something to entice them.

EDIT: sorry i misread the post as "love a 3.4 GPA 28 MCAT over 3.8 GPA 33 MCAT" lol...

Similar situation, similar stats. I was placed on pre-interview hold.

3.76 overall GPA, 3.69 science GPA, 27 MCAT... accepted at a NY state allopathic school. I had tons of EC's and most of the people who did my LOR's told me that they would like to write me one before I asked, BUT I still had a 27. So don't listen to ANYONE that thinks they know what they're talking about when they say that a low MCAT score is death to any application. Good luck to ya!

P.S. I'm not a URM

Me again. I became complete on December 3, just twenty-four hours after I mailed my secondary. How is this possible? Then on December 15, I was notified by e-mail that I was placed on hold. I am still trying to figure out how all this happened so fast.

hmno82, where did you go to undergrad?

State schools all the way (another thing people will say hurts your chances). I went to SUNY Fredonia for my first 2 years and then transfered to the University at Buffalo for my junior and now senior year.

29Q MCAt, 3.92 post-bac G.P.A (community college) while working as a middle school science teacher full time. Have a masters in teaching and a bachelors in theatre.

Applications were complete by mid-November.

rejections from University of Rochester and Vanderbilt.

Haven't heard anything from Tulane, Dartmouth, MCW, OHSU, University of Vermont, Drexel, Finch, NYMC, Creighton, Loyola, Saint Louis.

it is January.

No news is good news, right?

RIGHT? :(