The "What if" thread,,,,, come in to face realistic possibilities....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happens if you don't get the score you want on the real deal? I'm talking about WAYYYY below the score that you were aiming for.

What then? "Changing career paths"???? <---- wtf is that, really? I'm sure none of us want to change any paths, after putting in so much time, tears, effort, and money.

I can't beleive this one [unfair and unnecessarily tough (little details, etc.)] is basically going to determine our futures.

Members don't see this ad.

This test is not the boss of me and it will not make or break my life. It is just a stepping stone to test my medical knowledge, no more, no less. We are all capable and intelligent people and we should not let this test decide our future. We decide that, not a stupid test.

This test is not the boss of me and it will not make or break my life. It is just a stepping stone to test my medical knowledge, no more, no less. We are all capable and intelligent people and we should not let this test decide our future. We decide that, not a stupid test.
As true and inspiring as that may be, the [realistic] fact still remains that a particular person's exam/exam day may be unusually harder than the next person's. Or something else might happen that day that might just throw you off. We may be intelligent people, but this test still [more than likely] will "determine our futures".

bah! I dunno,,,, just stressing out too much over this thing! :oops: especially when I think about the loan debt I've accumulated! :( How in the world am I gonna pay back that stuff?!

First, it seems that from the posters on here, people end up getting similar scores on the real thing to how they have been doing on practice exams. So while you may be worried about getting questions you cant answer, it seems like the NBME has designed it to be a relatively representative exam (or at least in the scoring).

If you are shooting for Plastics, then yes your goals may have to be re-routed but otherwise with a decent score most doors will be open to you.

You have put in as good an effort as you could have. There are 2 things with this exam that are w/in your control: studying hard and remaining relaxed during the real deal. You cant control anything else so why worry about it (easier said than done, i know)? You have done everything you could have.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, it seems that from the posters on here, people end up getting similar scores on the real thing to how they have been doing on practice exams. So while you may be worried about getting questions you cant answer, it seems like the NBME has designed it to be a relatively representative exam (or at least in the scoring).

If you are shooting for Plastics, then yes your goals may have to be re-routed but otherwise with a decent score most doors will be open to you.

You have put in as good an effort as you could have. There are 2 things with this exam that are w/in your control: studying hard and remaining relaxed during the real deal. You cant control anything else so why worry about it (easier said than done, i know)? You have done everything you could have.

Good luck.

you are wise beyond your years my friend.

If you don't do as well as you wanted to on Step I, then you study harder for Step II and just freekin' stomp it. I hear a good step II score can make up for a shaky step I score.

then again, I could be hearing wrong. :(

If you don't do as well as you wanted to on Step I, then you study harder for Step II and just freekin' stomp it. I hear a good step II score can make up for a shaky step I score.

then again, I could be hearing wrong. :(

Somewhat true, depending on the specialty. The more competitive the field, the more weight is placed on Step 1. So a 200 Step 1 with a 250 Step 2 is still not going to land you many Derm/Plastics interviews. There are just too many superstars to justify taking someone with a mediocre Step 1 score.

But all is not lost my friends! Do NOT discount the effect of slamming your 3rd yr rotations, your elective rotations within your field of choice (you MUST honor these), a strong Step 2, glowing letters (phone calls?) and research.

Trust me, if you have your eyes on the prize and be STRATEGIC -- i.e pick a program or two where you have a REALISTIC shot of matching and stick to them like peanut butter on jelly -- you can still land a competitive residency. Go to all their conferences and try to befriend the "key players" -- the attendings/residents who have a say in who gets in (don't always focus on the PD!).

Also, do not discount the input of the residents in the selection process. At some programs they have a huge say in who gets ranked. Try to pick a program where you click with them. If the residents are into fashion, etc then it behooves you to dress nice. Read about fashion if you have to. Don't show up everyday looking like a wreck and then wonder why you didn't match there. If they're very academic then hopefully you can show them that side of you (if you have it). Clearly, you have to be yourself. Just play-up the side that is similar to the residents.

Be professional, courteous to the ancillary staff. Believe it or not some PDs ask them for input as well. If they say anything negative about you you're toast. On the last day of my out-patient rotations, I used to buy DD coffee and donuts for the ancillary staff. They were floored! Rememeber, they're often under-appreciated. Obviously be ON-TIME and have a "can-do" attitude. Don't settle for meeting expectations. That's for losers. It will get you nowhere. RAISE THE BAR. Go above and beyond. I promise you someone will take notice of your hardwork/talent. And that someone may very well go to bat for you when ROLs are being created by PDs!

Step 1 means a lot but it's only one part of your application.

G'luck guys!