Step 1 score 199 - is there a possibility to match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmle to residency

Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum. I received my score today and am absolutely devastated. I expected to do much better. I guess it was just a really bad day. My husband accepted a job in the US and I decided to leave my job (was working as a medical doctor in an emergency center setting) and join him in the US. The main goal is to get into a residency program in IM/Anesthesiology. Currently preparing for step 2 CK/CS. I am a non-us IMG currently only on a spousal visa. Any advise or information would be greatly appreciated. I feel so lost and not sure if it is worth continuing the process.

Members don't see this ad.

Pointless thread.

Please utilize the search button. This question and others have been beaten to death before. You can also check your chances using charting the outcomes; heads up they will not be encouraging.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Forget anesthesia.

You’re gonna have to target community IM programs and apply to like.... a TON of programs but even then your chances are not great. You need to throw FM into the mix too.

Reactions: 1 user
According to the NRMP match data, less than 20% non-US IMG of applicants managed to pull this off the last 5 years. This is not taking into account any other factors like Step 2CK scores, USCE, US LoRs etc. I best most if not all of those applicants in that 20% had either strong US research experience with many publications or meaningful connections in the programs they matched into.