The Writing Section?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seanparsel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone actually "studies" for the WS portion of the MCAT. By studying, I guess I just mean looking over writing sample prompts and then writing things? I know EK doesn't stress this section at all, but TPR has a section devoted to writing. Is it worth it to spend any time practicing for this section? I am a fairly decent writer I believe, I sort of pride myself in my writing skills, but I am worried I won't be able to think about ideas for the section the MCAT. Should I just wing it or maybe take a day or two to work on writing skills? I am leaning towards just winging it....

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if this applies to you, but for me the hardest part about the writing section was just coming up with examples and counterexamples for the prompts. Once I knew "what" I was writing about, the actual writing came easily. What really helped me was to go through prompts, and spend 5 minutes (the time I allocated during tests for pre-writing) to outline the 3 sections of the essay. Some people like to also spend time coming up with topics that can apply to many different possible prompts - I didn't do this, but it's not a bad idea.

I'd definitely go through at least a few prompts, just to make sure you'd know what to write. Do the entire essay under timed conditions to see if anything gives you trouble, and go from there.

I hardly spend anytime on writing section - I ended up getting a P which I am satisfied with. Just know how to approach it and how to finish it as soon as possible so that you can relax for a little while before you start your biological sciences cause remember biological sciences is very important!! i hope that helps :)

I was just wondering if anyone actually "studies" for the WS portion of the MCAT. By studying, I guess I just mean looking over writing sample prompts and then writing things? I know EK doesn't stress this section at all, but TPR has a section devoted to writing. Is it worth it to spend any time practicing for this section? I am a fairly decent writer I believe, I sort of pride myself in my writing skills, but I am worried I won't be able to think about ideas for the section the MCAT. Should I just wing it or maybe take a day or two to work on writing skills? I am leaning towards just winging it....

I will probably go over some prompts and maybe formulate an outline. I think my hardest part will be coming up with examples as well, or providing an intro with historical references or something. I guess I will invest some time in looking at prompts. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd suggest you to start reading newspapers and news magazines if you don't already if you really feel motivated to do well on the writing sample section.

My MCAT score was a run of the mill average but I got a T in the writing section. It has to do alot imo with reading a prompt, being able to formulate a rough outline of how your essay will be put together based off of beginning, thesis, anthesis, and conclusion. When you receive your prompt you immediately think of a side that supports and one that is not true and spend roughly 3-5 minutes thining of the best RL/historical examples that support either side. This comes alot easier and faster with practice and a more expansive knowledge of matters going on in the world.

Normally I can come up with a better sentence for the antithesis but when you're pressed for time, I just fall back on the generic "But is this always true?"

The writing section is often seen as the most "useless' section and I would agree to a large extent that it will not help or hurt you in any way if you receive a great numerical score for the other sections and you receive an O or a P but an S or a T can give your application a few more looks. T= 99.7-99.9%tile. It definitely came up in some open file interviews.

yea i definitely agree - it can help you if you get a T - but there are some schools out there who don't care about writing score and they are few schools out who actually do. so to be honest with you, writing score is the last thing you should worry about. but reading newspapers will not only help you with your writing score, but also help you with your verbal.

Does it matter if you quote someone incorrectly? Heck, what if you kind of know the quote but you don't know who said it?