Theme/Narrative?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med12443i

Reaction score
I am a junior who is planning on taking a gap year and applying next cycle. I am taking some time to reflect on my activities and think of a theme or narrative that brings everything together. One thing I have noticed is that my activities revolve around making close human connections and relationships on both a short and long timescale. I've realized this is what I really enjoy about the things I do and it is what is driving me to become a physician. For example, as an EMT I often transport elderly people who love to talk about their lives. In that 20-30 minute ride, I get to learn a lot about them. Even more than treating these patients, what I enjoy is taking this time to talk to them. I am also a hospice volunteer, and a Big Brother Big Sisters volunteer. In both cases, I am matched with someone who I meet with every/every other week and have formed strong relationships. My questions is this a cohesive/strong enough theme or narrative?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Read

I am a junior who is planning on taking a gap year and applying next cycle. I am taking some time to reflect on my activities and think of a theme or narrative that brings everything together. One thing I have noticed is that my activities revolve around making close human connections and relationships on both a short and long timescale. I've realized this is what I really enjoy about the things I do and it is what is driving me to become a physician. For example, as an EMT I often transport elderly people who love to talk about their lives. In that 20-30 minute ride, I get to learn a lot about them. Even more than treating these patients, what I enjoy is taking this time to talk to them. I am also a hospice volunteer, and a Big Brother Big Sisters volunteer. In both cases, I am matched with someone who I meet with every/every other week and have formed strong relationships. My questions is this a cohesive/strong enough theme or narrative?
Having a theme for an essay is really important -- in my view mandatory. What you discussed above could easily be the theme of your PS. Obviously your MME's or activities would support it. However, you app doesn't need to have only one theme in all activities and written material. If you have an commitment, like running, that you do on your own and that is important to you, don't feel like you have to leave it off because it doesn't fit your theme.

Human beings aren't themes. Most of us have multiple themes in our lives, and it's OK if your application shows a few themes. It makes people more interesting. And that multi-dimensionality is something most adcom value.

Reactions: 1 user