TheraDoc vs Cerner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What pharmacy software/system are you currently using at your hospital? What do you like and dislike the most about it? Would you rather have something else?

For people using TheraDoc or Cerner, do you like it? Why?

Members don't see this ad.

Cerner is actually pretty good. Windows based, not very buggy, pretty quick turnaround time for order entry.

Cerner's knock off Pyxis cabinets on the other hand...I don't like them. Tons of plastic and when they broke, they broke. With Pyxis, I could usually go up and fix the things with a screwdriver, a hammer, and some determination. When the Cerner med cabinets broke, some dork from 2 hours away had to drive in and fix it.

Just my opinion. Used it for about 2 years.

We currently use Eclipsys and Theradoc, but will be switching to Epic/Theradoc shortly.

I love Eclipsys - it's very easily adapted to our needs, order entry is straightforward, everything is intuitive. Epic looks as if it has a steep learning curve and isn't nearly as malleable to institutional needs.

Theradoc is alright if used appropriately, but I think it ends up being used as a crutch in too many places. The alerts are way too sensitive for people reviewing a large number of patients. If you're only carrying a light patient load, say one service, then it's manageable and is actually pretty useful for picking up new and abnormal labs or weird med orders. But when you're using Theradoc to review 50+ med profiles, labs, etc., it eats away most of your day and the alerts just make you want to rip your hair out.