There's got to be something wrong with my Verbal approach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futbol99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know why I cannot do just a little DECENT on this part!
I speak and comprehend English fluently, I was just never the one to read books as a kid.
It seems like there's no hope to bring my VR score up to the average score! I have been studying the MCAT (sometimes passively) since October, but the VR wasnt consistent, however I tried to get many practice passages in. I always seem to get around 3-4 out of 7 almost all the time, except for a few rare moments that I get 5 6 or 7 out of 7 which eventually leads to a score of 5,6 or 7. I use TPRH online passages, TPRH book, EK 101, and I have Kaplan that I never used yet. I took the TPR class, although I didnt pay attention in VR classes, as I dont like their strategy.

I really just want a 9 on this section, Im not aiming for 11+. Why is it like impossible to reach a 9 for me? What am I doing wrong? It seems that many people don't have troubles getting 8+, especially 8 is like a diagnostic score for many. Im getting really angry about this and dont know how to approach any passages anymore, and lost my confidence. I have read the EK tips, but it doesnt seem to be working.

What are some general things you do that you suggest I should just to improve my score by just a bit? I'm trying to read external article frequently, so I will see how that plays out, but what about mcat VR? I seem to have trouble reading fast and comprehending simultaneously. Am I supposed to keep alert on some parts of the passage and zoom through others? I just want to be able to read through it, understand it, and pick out important information. Do you sound out your words? How fast do you read?

Any help is VERY much appreciated!!! I honestly believe I can reach that 9, I just dont know how to approach it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No but between the AAMC exams, the AAMC Self-Assessment and the AAMC's Official Guide to the MCAT.. there are a substantial amount of actual MCAT passages that you can work into your prep.

On a side note, @Jepstein30 do you recommend doing Self-Assessment + reviewing it thoroughly before starting AAMC FLs?

No but between the AAMC exams, the AAMC Self-Assessment and the AAMC's Official Guide to the MCAT.. there are a substantial amount of actual MCAT passages that you can work into your prep.

I just checked out the Self-Assessment. For the price, do you think it's worth buying?

On a side note, @Jepstein30 do you recommend doing Self-Assessment + reviewing it thoroughly before starting AAMC FLs?

Yea, I like having the SA + review after content review but before FLs.

Not sure if you've read my thread about identifying weaknesses but think of all the practice you do as various size nets. Your goal is to catch as many weaknesses as you can.

Practice passages are fairly small nets but you do so many of them that you get pretty good coverage.
FLs are fairly small nets as well.. there's also not that great of a coverage so they aren't the best tool to use to catch weaknesses. You're going to miss many.

The SA is the biggest net you can cast though. By far.

I just checked out the Self-Assessment. For the price, do you think it's worth buying?

IMO, the best study resource out there after the AAMC exams. I'd even recommend buying it if you could only afford 3-4 AAMC exams along with it.

I think there's a bundle that makes it slightly cheaper with some exams. Also, if you have a prep course.. it's included already.