These are a few of my favorite things...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoffeeCat

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
List your fav aspect of the med schools you've seen/interviewed at/heard about!

Members don't see this ad.

I was more impressed with UAB than I thought I would be. The hospital was huge, and everyone was very friendly, going out of their way to help you out.

Ohio State - the 3 different choices for curriculum, the city of Columubus

Cincinnati - all the new technology they've just put in (particularly the Center for Clinical Competence or whatever its called where they do the standardized patients and their procedure lab)

Both schools, and the state of Ohio in general: Cheap rent (but then again, I'm from CA so everything is cheap elsewhere).

Members don't see this ad :)
VCU/MCV: Very cheap cost of living and surprisingly decent city life. Weather is not as bad as the more Northeastern cities (I'm from L.A.).In addition, it's in close proximity to D.C. and Virginia Beach.

Monkeyrunner,
I'm glad you like Ohio so much. We'd be happy to have you! :)
Ohio State: I loved my interviewer and how nicely I have been treated by everyone connected with OSU MED.- The opportunity to get an MPH or study anything else you feel like studying. (There is a guy there getting an MD/PhD (in Philosophy!!)
The three curriculum choices
Low cost! Nice students.
Cincinatti- Everyone there is very friendly, warm and genuine (students, faculty, office people)- Very smooth and well-organized power point presentation about the curriculum-
I also liked the clinical skills room and the nice lady in charge of that and the "patient rooms" with cameras. ---Totally systems based learning-I also liked the compact and attractive medical campus and the rolling hills of Cincinnati. Also low cost for us Ohioans.
Also, I the fellow interviewees at both schools were down to earth and friendly and very impressive human beings.
These are some lovely choices to have! I'm very lucky. Class acts all the way.

do you mean UMAB or U Alabama-Birmingham? both great schools..
Anyway, as a current M'05 (who finished my first semester today!!) I'll add on a few from my interview days:

Tufts (current school): great city, sociable students, H/P/F grading system, interviwers were very honest and friendly, impressive hospital, good reputation, combined degree programs. Downside: ridiculously expensive.

Maryland: in-state tuition, cool areas in Baltimore to hang out in, GREAT library, nice electronic resources, block curriculum, wonderful hospital. Downside: traditional letter grade system.

Penn State: beautiful rural area, friendly and warm faculty, great hospital. Disadvantage: a bit too rural, not much social life for the single students.

Saint Louis U: friendly students and interviewers, student hosts are accomodating and will give you an honest view of the school, very well-regarded hospital, laid-back atmosphere. Disadvantages: cost, nice city but not as cool as Boston.

Originally posted by Coalboy:
•I was more impressed with UAB than I thought I would be. The hospital was huge, and everyone was very friendly, going out of their way to help you out.•••

do you mean UMAB or U Alabama-Birmingham? both great schools..
Anyway, as a current M'05 (who finished my first semester today!!) I'll add on a few from my interview days••

UAB, as in Alabama. I haven't heard back from UMAB yet, but I didn't get my application in until 11/26. For the record, I'd really like to go to UMAB, but we'll see what happens.

Albert Einstein: Big apartments for cheap. And good pizza in the area.

Cincinnati - all the new technology they've just put in, cheap rent, totally systems based learning, low cost for ohioans

Maryland: in-state tuition, cool areas in Baltimore to hang out in, GREAT library, nice electronicresources, block curriculum, wonderful hospital. Downside: traditional letter grade system.

Ohio State - the 3 different choices for curriculum, the city of Columubus, cheap rent, the opportunity to get an MPH or study anything else you feel like studying, The three curriculum choices, low cost, nice students

Penn State: beautiful rural area, friendly and warm faculty, great hospital. Disadvantage: a bit too rural,not much social life for the single students.

Saint Louis U: friendly students and interviewers, student hosts are accomodating and will give you an honest view of the school, very well-regarded hospital, laid-back atmosphere. Disadvantages: cost, nice city

Tufts: great city, sociable students, H/P/F grading system, interviwers were very honestand friendly, impressive hospital, good reputation, combined degree programs. Downside: ridiculously expensive.

UAB: hospital was huge,very friendly

VCU/MCV: Very cheap cost of living and surprisingly decent city life.

Columbia - Surfing in the East River. Gnarly!!

Univ. Connecticut: Happy, Healthy Students! Very close relationship between faculty/students, you qualify for in-state tuition after the first year, the students all had time to do things other then school, Plus I liked the integration of PBL and systems based curriculum. negatives: ehh, hartford is kinda boring but, it's also a couple hours away from cool cities. . .

Univ. Arizona: All around strong program, great price if you're in state, the weather is great 8 months out of the year, I really like the learning resource center, they seem very concerned for the welfare of their students. Also, you can take your clinical rotations in Phoenix, and need only really live in Tucson for two years.
negatives: the md/mph program is 5 years not 4. . . 120 degrees isn't unheard of in the summer, I just spent 8 years in AZ; I want to live somewhere new.

Spicoli
regarding Columbia....that would be the Hudson River..however, if you do prefer the East River, that would entail attaching your board (or "stick" as real surfers seem to refer to it) to the top of a taxi..most cabbies would probably object to this...or taking the subway (#1 or #9) down to 42nd Street, catching the cross town shuttle, and walking east toward the river....good luck!