They don't tell you about the purgatory between post-doc and licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreudianSlippers

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find myself in somewhat of an awkward position. I am FINALLY finished with everything (graduate school, internship, post-doc, EPPP, Law and Ethics Exam), and am just waiting for my licensure paperwork to be processed (which could take up to a month). It's such a weird feeling applying for jobs for the first time in 6 years. I find myself feeling somewhat lost too...do I join up with a counseling center or group practice, or do I spend time thinking about how to build up a private practice of my own (which I don't even know where to begin with). It also feels weird emailing random clinics about jobs. I always imagined a pretty linear path from graduate school to a professional job, but things feel a little murky at the moment. Anybody successfully navigate a similar experience? Is this a common experience for people?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to real life. Be thankful it is only a month. It took the state board more than 6 months to sort out my provisional license and 3 for the real one. Personally, I enjoyed the freedom to explore my options for the first time in years. Trying things and gaining new experiences is a good thing. There is no failing grade in life if you don't follow the rules.

Reactions: 1 user