1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Thin Letter from Stanford Alert!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Pinki, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Pinki

Pinki Sassy Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just got a skinny little scare...

Turns out its just the snail mail twin of the email "Invitation to submit secondary".

Deep breaths...deep breaths...eat ice cream.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

;) I know I just got home and got one too - I was having palpitations for a second there

4. DoubleDoctor

DoubleDoctor Ceder Dog's Daddy
    7+ Year Member

D*mn that thin letter myth!!!!!!!!! Glad it was just a scare...........

:D :D

5. Pinki

Pinki Sassy Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was thinking "Darned them! The ink isn't even dry on the "For Deposit Only" Stamp on the back of my check. Doubtful LORs are even out of the envelope and in a folder! Jerx!"

Glad my cynicism was not confirmed. Resume ice cream eating.

6. BananaSplit

BananaSplit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I got mine Sat in the mail. I was pretty sure it wasn't a rejection because I just got the email on Tueday, but there was still this fear lingering in the back of my mind. Glad to hear we're all in the same boat. Pinki and wonder boy, be sure to post when you hear more news from Stanfurd (sorry, I couldn't resist), it seems like we're in the same group of august mcaters getting late secondaries.

One question, on the status check, do you guys see anything updated? My fields are all still blank, but I just submitted secondary on Thursday and letters of rec arrived thursday too (hopefully<-- I wasn't willing to shell out $15 more for express, so my letter service sent it snail mail, no confirmation with snail mail, so I'm waiting to see when they will update status check with new info). Whoa, that was a lot of babble on my part. Good luck, guys!

BananaSplit

7. blackbird03

blackbird03 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Interesting fact: in 2001, Stanford mailed out 3208 secondaries, and gave out only 670 invitations for interviews. (From the Stanford Med Annual Report)

Now, I guess I have to wish for killers letters of rec, otherwise I don't think I'm gonna make this 5% cut.

8. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector
    7+ Year Member

cal only charges $15? stupid UCLA...$20...what a rip.

anyhow...5% of secondaries are interviewed?.....great. :rolleyes:

9. blackbird03

blackbird03 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

sorry my mistake

i think it is more like 20 % hehe my bad

670/3208

but in the end only 5% get accepted (186/3208)

it's based on last year's numbers

10. BananaSplit

BananaSplit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh sorry, it's $20 here too, I miss-posted. I don't understand why, express mail is only $13. They have to charge us 7 bucks for printing out some friggin letters? Although, I think express mail is a waste of money because even snail mail in Cali gets there in one day anyway.

Interesting game this past Sat. I'm not saying it was a good game, because our offense sucked, and you guys were at a huge disadvantage without Paus and Olson. Hope your quarterbacks get better soon. So, is Toledo going to be the coach next year?

BananaSplit

11. choker

choker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

just a heads up...
    last year the stanford interview invitation came via thin envelope_ NO EMAIL! you guys think you were nervous when you got that secondary letter!?!?!

i flew across the country and back on a red eye to interview at this amazing school only to be waitlisted (btw- stanford didn't even rank their waitlist last year, let alone take anyone off it). what a tease. ah damn i loved that school!