Thin letter myth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoubleDoctor

Ceder Dog's Daddy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard people say that rejections are thin letters and thick ones are acceptances. When I was accepted to Cincy it was a thin letter (2 pages to be exact). The first page was the congrats and the second page was a form to sign and return to confirm acceptance. They send out everything else throughout the year. I knew I was accepted because of the website and my boss confirmed that he had known for a few days but then I got a thin letter and I must say I was a little worried. I could just see,
"Sorry, we made an error"

Members don't see this ad.

I got a "thin letter" today, and it sure as hell wasn't an acceptance. +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

Just the opposite happened to me when I applied to grad school I got a thick package from columbia and was all excited. Inside were medical forms, housing info, class schedules, my advisor assignment . . . and a rejection letter. They explained over the phone it was a "bad mistake" and they don't know why they sent me all that stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
ouch abw!!! that's cruel and unusual punishment!! what a tease.

i've gotten 5 thin envelopes so far (and one short email), and they weren't exactly good news. but here's hoping for tomorrow's mail... :D

My Case acceptance was a thin envelope... when I got it I was really sad because my Stanford and JHU rejections both came in thin envelopes. At best I thought it was an interview evaluation form or something. I was so happy when it wasn't!

Also... get this, my Univ. of Wash rejection came in a relatively thick envelope. They sent be a bunch of stuff on applying MD/PhD since that program was nicer to out of staters.

THe moral of the story.... you never know until you open it!! :)

Originally posted by abw
Just the opposite happened to me when I applied to grad school I got a thick package from columbia and was all excited. Inside were medical forms, housing info, class schedules, my advisor assignment . . . and a rejection letter. They explained over the phone it was a "bad mistake" and they don't know why they sent me all that stuff.

ouch! some of these mistakes border on cruelty.... well, as dar williams would say, i'm sure better things are on their way!

To see a Dar quote really brightened me :)

Man, that must have sucked ABW:eek::eek: ! I know cruel and unusual punishment when I see it, and that's definitely it!! :eek:

Originally posted by DoubleDoctor
I have heard people say that rejections are thin letters and thick ones are acceptances. When I was accepted to Cincy it was a thin letter (2 pages to be exact).

They don't like to waste trees there. :)

Tulane gave me a one page acceptance.

geeeez! this thread had scared the crap out of me since my first letter came a couple days ago and my mom said it was a "thin" envelope. I had already told her not to open it until i got home this weeknd, but i had pretty much resigned myself to a rejection. Turns out it was an acceptance!! and it was only one page, so dont be scared by thin envelopes, it could be good!!