All Branch Topic (ABT) Things I learn from Marines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought we needed some teaching pearls to break up all the threads about joining or quitting the military. I'll start:

Today I learned that washing your eyes with hand sanitizer is not an effective treatment for viral conjunctivitis.

Members don't see this ad.

Love it!

Also - an aggressive hand sanitizer regimen to the groin will not work for an STD exposure, nor will hand sanitizer uretheral enema, and for that matter gasoline and ether also will not work.

Haven't seen/heard too much hand sanitizer craziness; in my time amongst the joes it was undiluted bleach and green scrub pads for generic "crotch rot" and other assorted skin conditions.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're SF, you won't go to sick call when you fracture your mandible during CQC. You don't go to sick call when your fracture keeps you from eating. You won't go to sick call when you can't open your mouth due to the pain. You won't go to sick call after you've dropped 20 lbs because all you can eat are protein shakes and Monster. You WILL go to sick call when your CO tells you that you can't deploy with your unit until you get that jaw fracture (now with non-union) repaired.

Reactions: 1 user
Soldier in the ER, drunk, with an avulsed ear. Post motorcycle versus pavement. Swears up and down that his ear wasn't injured in the crash, it was injured when a deer came out of the woods and bit it off. Take home: F&%$ Deer.

Reactions: 1 users
I also learned once that if you try to save a young family member from a burning building, you are heroic, but you should make sure that you've opened the second story window (and perhaps checked the situation outside the window) before you toss said family member through the window.

A Marine Lieutenant Colonel taught me that if some Army fobbit puts a padlock on the showers because they're "Army Only" on Tuesdays, the solution is to use a fire axe to chop the handle off the door.

I learned a lot from that man. He's going to be a general some day.

Reactions: 2 users
I learned that sometimes a soldier's greatest fear post vasectomy is that it will affect the distance at which he is able to ejaculate. That was an interesting conversation.

Sorry, this was army specific. (Or, who knows, maybe it's a more widely held belief.)

1) Using Nair as a substitute for shaving cream does not get you a closer shave.

2) An emergency physical exam is a real thing.

3) It is concerning that a guy can no longer maintain an erection after ejaculation

When your buddy is bitten by a rattlesnake, you think doc needs the snake. Chase and kill snake, bring snake to BAS. Get treated for your snakebite first since you were bitten trying to help. Be shocked that doc thinks you are a dip****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
1. While sitting in the back of a moving 7-ton, using your Ka-Bar knife to tickle your friend's leg is all fun and games, until the 7-ton runs over a big bump and someone gets stabbed.

2. As a battalion surgeon, I discovered that my pharmacological knowledge is woefully inadequate, when I was asked by a Marine if there are any supplements on the market which can increase the volume of a man's ejaculate. To clarify, this was not for infertility reasons, it was more for, let's say. . . . artistic/decorative intentions.

3. Shaving one's genitals with the intent to impress women can backfire in numerous ways. Shockingly, few women become aroused when seeing that your junk is afflicted with folliculitis, abscesses, and/or the widespread autoinoculation of genital warts throughout your the nether-regions that was spread from your filthy HPV-laden shaver.

4. Ditto from above post: "When your buddy is bitten by a rattlesnake, you think doc needs the snake. Chase and kill snake, bring snake to BAS. Get treated for your snakebite first since you were bitten trying to help. Be shocked that doc thinks you are a dip****."

5. Marine: "Doc, when I'm doing like 300 lbs on the overhead press, my shoulder pops."
Me: "Ok, stop doing it then."
Marine: "Wait. . . . what?"

6. When you're in Iraq and super bored, the spectacle of tossing a live camel spider and live scorpion into a cage together can draw a surprisingly large crowd.

7. When you live with a roommate in close quarters and you wake up with a morning erection and you're embarrassed for your roommate to see it, there are better alternatives than bending your penis to try to force the blood out and make the erection go away. . . . if you bend it far enough, it can fracture. The resulting surgical repair is not pretty.

8. Pilonidal cysts and Marines seem to go together like peas and carrots.

9. Despite all their crazy antics, we're incredibly luck to have the Marines out there kickin' serious tail.

Reactions: 2 users
Haven't seen/heard too much hand sanitizer craziness; in my time amongst the joes it was undiluted bleach and green scrub pads for generic "crotch rot" and other assorted skin conditions.

Like most good military stories: "This one time in Germany..."

Ronsonol lighter fluid does not work on crabs!

Oh, and one must explain in detail RICE instructions for injury. Actual bags of long grain rice on injuries are not effective.

The existential intricacies of de la Chapelle Syndrome are not something that a Marine ponders while lying in his rack at night. Also, usage of phrases like "the ontology of gender" and the drawing of Venn Diagrams are counterproductive with regard to helping a Marine understand his diagnosis.

Also, if you present to the emergency department of a Navy hospital and tell them that you're pretty sure that you fractured your 4th metacarpal during the intramural softball game that just ended, the nurse will still exclaim "when will you Marines learn that you can't punch something everytime you're angry" and proceed to ask your wife (who is reading in the reception area) whether the fracture was sustained while punching her.

When your rectum stretches to 17cm in diameter due to distal obstruction, please, feel free to ignore surgical consult appointments for evaluation and treatment. Continuing training is far more important. Instead, free to check into the ER once a month for a "belly pain" checkup

Today my sailors once again taught me that there is no part of a ship that is not a perfectly good name for your first born son.

6. When you're in Iraq and super bored, the spectacle of tossing a live camel spider and live scorpion into a cage together can draw a surprisingly large crowd.

I'd watch that. I wonder who would win?

When you're informed that the portajohn is infested with black widows and can not be used, don't go take a **** in one. 2 bites on the jimmy.

Breath of life:

Again not a Marine, but no point in starting another topic:

Guy comes in with multiple facial fractures, eyes swollen shut, nose swollen shut. He tells me he was the victim of the "knock out game." Now I admit I have never witnessed the knock out game, but I read my fair share of news. My understanding is that the victim is walking down the street when someone runs up behind them and hits them as hard as they can, and then keeps running.

This was a unique version of the knock out game in which this guy and his friend were out getting hammered at a nearby college bar when three guys beat the ever-loving crap out of them.

Now, again, I'm no expert, but I think that's just called a "bar fight" rather than "knockout game." Merely a case of "keep your ******* opinions to yourself."

Today I learned that, when all else fails, you can celebrate Christmas by doing an unscheduled 3 mile run, in the dark, with a full ruck.

Saw it on Christmas night.

I'd watch that. I wonder who would win?

Camel Spider. Those things are made by Satan himself!

I just want to say thanks to everyone! It's been a rough day at work and I read these while taking a coffee break and laughed my %^& off reading them!

The things you stumble upon when someone bumps an old thread ...

A Marine Lieutenant Colonel taught me that if some Army fobbit puts a padlock on the showers because they're "Army Only" on Tuesdays, the solution is to use a fire axe to chop the handle off the door.

I learned a lot from that man. He's going to be a general some day.

As it turns out, that Marine is a general now.

Reactions: 5 users
So apparently if you see a wrinkle on your spiffy dress uni pants...it’s not wise to iron your pants while they are on you (x3).

I also learned that documented proof of an STD proves that you are sexually active and therefore cool (x >10).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users