Things my patients learn from me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovePharmD2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems like we have heard so many stories about funny/foolish things our patient do. How about times when we've made mistakes ourselves and acted or done foolish things. Share your stories about things you have done that you later look back and wonder how you ended up doing them. Enjoy!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I'll start it off. We were really busy one day and it was only me and the pharmacist. One of the managers came to the back to help us with drive through and the pick up. Shes kind of old and hard of hearing, but her voice rings like a megaphone.

So I'm helping some patients and drop off and all of a sudden I hear coming from drive thru "DO WE CARRY ANY PLAN B!!!!" I turn around shocked, the pharmacist's had her jaw wide open, and we looked at each other in a "what the hell" glance. The manager then yells it a second time even louder. The pharmacist is now giving her the "shhhh" sign. I tell the people at drop off it'll be half an hour, then I run to drive thru, tell the manager to go work pick up and start apologizing to the drive thru customer.

My favorite part though is, I scan the box, and tell the customer its $49 and change. She gives me a look then yells "What?! I get this s*** at Walmart for 36 bucks" then drives off.

My favorite part though is, I scan the box, and tell the customer its $49 and change. She gives me a look then yells "What?! I get this s*** at Walmart for 36 bucks" then drives off.

I get to have the 'why the hell does Plan B cost so much?!' conversation at least once a week. :smack: Well, it's because they have you by the... ovaries, I suppose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Q - "Why is plan B so expensive?"

A - "Plan B is always more expensive than Plan A... if plan B were cheaper than plan A... then it would BE plan A while demoting plan A to plan B. As it turns out rubbers are significantly less expensive than these pills to produce so plan A continues to be plan A and plan B keeps on being the backup plan."

Q - "Why is plan B so expensive?"

A - "Plan B is always more expensive than Plan A... if plan B were cheaper than plan A... then it would BE plan A while demoting plan A to plan B. As it turns out rubbers are significantly less expensive than these pills to produce so plan A continues to be plan A and plan B keeps on being the backup plan."

haha, i love this. next time someone asks me why it's so expensive, i'm going to use this response.

I do typically say something to the effect that "they're the only game in town, and they know if you're buying their product then you are AT the plan B stage..."

Politely, of course.

Wow, 49 bucks. We charge 26 and change (in Canada).

But I totally agree that if you want to bitch about the cost, then you probably should have thought of that before. I've never had anyone complain about the cost, though.

Wow, 49 bucks. We charge 26 and change (in Canada).

But I totally agree that if you want to bitch about the cost, then you probably should have thought of that before. I've never had anyone complain about the cost, though.

Word on the street at USC is that Kaiser charges $15 and they'll even sell it to non-Kaiser members at that price. (Shhh, it's a secret.:rolleyes:)

I worked 8 years doing customer service over the phone. I could put customers on mute and say my peace, roll eyes when I felt appropriate. Needless to say, face-to-face contact has taken some retraining. I had a customer come in through pick-up window at CVS with miscellaneous household items. He wrote a check for everything, but I had forgotten to ring up one item. So I let him know I forgot and he bristles and say matter-of-factly, "I'm not writing another check." So I sit there with a confused look on my face wondering what the reply to that should be. I could have said, would you like me to put it back, or how would you like to pay for it. While I was deciding which option was best he says, "Don't look at me like that." I'm not sure if it was a puzzling look, or a look of "dude this isn't that serious, it's just a check." Either way, I'm still working on facial expressions and quicker responses that are civil rather than sarcastic.

Word on the street at USC is that Kaiser charges $15 and they'll even sell it to non-Kaiser members at that price. (Shhh, it's a secret.:rolleyes:)

I worked 8 years doing customer service over the phone. I could put customers on mute and say my peace, roll eyes when I felt appropriate. Needless to say, face-to-face contact has taken some retraining. I had a customer come in through pick-up window at CVS with miscellaneous household items. He wrote a check for everything, but I had forgotten to ring up one item. So I let him know I forgot and he bristles and say matter-of-factly, "I'm not writing another check." So I sit there with a confused look on my face wondering what the reply to that should be. I could have said, would you like me to put it back, or how would you like to pay for it. While I was deciding which option was best he says, "Don't look at me like that." I'm not sure if it was a puzzling look, or a look of "dude this isn't that serious, it's just a check." Either way, I'm still working on facial expressions and quicker responses that are civil rather than sarcastic.

***** srly?

Word on the street at USC is that Kaiser charges $15 and they'll even sell it to non-Kaiser members at that price. (Shhh, it's a secret.:rolleyes:).

Wow, that's really inexpensive, almost too cheap, in my opinion. From my point of view the cost should be prohibitive so that it is not used as a primary form of birth control (ie in the long term more expensive that monthly BC)...but I digress (don't get me wrong, though, I think EC should be readily available)

I teach my patients about hydrocodone and the law at least once a shift.

I once had a customer ask if he could buy hydrocodone OTC, I told him no, but you can get codeine OTC (Tylenol 1/AC&C in Canada). Then he said "what about Valium?" umm, no.

He said he "wasn't from here", so I assume he was American. We sell a ton of OTC codeine to Americans.

If you want to buy Rx drugs without a prescription, go to the streets, not the pharmacy!!

I once had a customer ask if he could buy hydrocodone OTC, I told him no, but you can get codeine OTC (Tylenol 1/AC&C in Canada). Then he said "what about Valium?" umm, no.

He said he "wasn't from here", so I assume he was American. We sell a ton of OTC codeine to Americans.

If you want to buy Rx drugs without a prescription, go to the streets, not the pharmacy!!

My understanding is the FDA/DEA doesn't take to kindly to importing controlleds across borders. Even if it is from our friends to the north.:rolleyes: Streets in LA are closer than Canada and safer than TJ.

I guess I'll start it off. We were really busy one day and it was only me and the pharmacist. One of the managers came to the back to help us with drive through and the pick up. Shes kind of old and hard of hearing, but her voice rings like a megaphone.

So I'm helping some patients and drop off and all of a sudden I hear coming from drive thru "DO WE CARRY ANY PLAN B!!!!" I turn around shocked, the pharmacist's had her jaw wide open, and we looked at each other in a "what the hell" glance. The manager then yells it a second time even louder. The pharmacist is now giving her the "shhhh" sign. I tell the people at drop off it'll be half an hour, then I run to drive thru, tell the manager to go work pick up and start apologizing to the drive thru customer.

It's sad how so many patients use Plan B as their only source of "protection"

all i can say about this thread is FAIL ha

Wow, that's really inexpensive, almost too cheap, in my opinion. From my point of view the cost should be prohibitive so that it is not used as a primary form of birth control (ie in the long term more expensive that monthly BC)...but I digress (don't get me wrong, though, I think EC should be readily available)

yea i work at kaiser.. and i was super surprised at how cheap it was. i believe now the price is closer to $17, but compared to target, walgreens, or any other pharmacy... hella cheaper. and if you get a rx for it, you get it for free.

I am a pharm tech at a hospital and one day I was delivering a STAT to the ER. The pts name was (Something) Eastwood, and I guess I wasn't looking or thinking, but I run to the ER, enter the nurse's station and blurt out "I have a STAT for Clint Eastwood!!!" Everyone just looked at me, and then they burst into laughter. It was pretty embarassing at the time....