Things not to say during a dental school interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ISU_Steve

Cranky old man
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Things not to say during a dental school interview:

-SHOW ME THE MONEY!
-Why do I want to be a dentist? Two words: tooth fetish.
-Why *insert name of school*? Because you are interviewing me.
-Why am I so interested in orthodontics? It's tooth bondage and I'm all about BDSM action.
-You don't run criminal history checks on applicants do you?

Anyone else have any to add?

Members don't see this ad.

My happiest memory is getting together with my friends and smashing pumpkins on Halloween-- I actually did that twice: at schools I didn't want to attend and for shock value.

Because Med, optometry, podiatry, pharmacy, vet, law, and grad school didnt accept me. Naturally, I thought I would try out dental school!

Members don't see this ad :)
"It was less than an ounce and I was more than a hundred yards from the school."

"People respect doctors, they fear dentists. Is it better to be feared or respected? I'd rather be feared. It lasts longer."

"I flunked out of medical school....I thought that this is the natural path..."

"I'm only here because my parents made me go...."

me like teeth, me like $$, me go to dental school...

- Sorry what school is this again?

- Dude. Nice job, u ve got hot secretary.

Why do I want to be a dentist? Two words: Nitrous oxide

"When I was observing, I had a lot of fun with Nitrous oxide and checking out assistants' ass"

"That's where money at and it is faster then med school"

"eh....did you just fart?" (actually happened to me but i didnt dare to ask the interviewer)

"I like to put stuffs into people's mouth"

How about, "I hate your school and hope you die...along with your entire family...now am I in?"
hehe

Members don't see this ad :)
Why Dentistry?

- because I love the sound of a drill (ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz :D )

- its easier than med school, I wanna be able to chill out and have a beer every night, know what I mean ;) ?

- because I couldnt get into med school, and dentistry makes more money anywas

"How much money you want to give you for admission? 50 G's"
Someone actually asked an interviewer that and he advised to leave.

"you mind if I smoke in here?"

When I interviewed at one school that I had no intentions on going to, they asked me, "what was the biggest challenge in your life and how did you overcome it":

and I honestly responded, "It was last summer when my buddy and I were stranded in Mexico with only $50 to our name and we hitchiked all the way from Mexico to Canada in 4.5 days"

That was such an experience!!! Talk about shock value, eh! ;)

Dr.BadVibes said:
When I interviewed at one school that I had no intentions on going to, they asked me, "what was the biggest challenge in your life and how did you overcome it":

and I honestly responded, "It was last summer when my buddy and I were stranded in Mexico with only $50 to our name and we hitchiked all the way from Mexico to Canada in 4.5 days"

That was such an experience!!! Talk about shock value, eh! ;)

Now that's a cool story--now why wouldn't you have shared that with the interviewer at your preferred school? ;) Just kidding. But really, in one of my favorite interviews we started talking about some of our "other" interests and the interviewer told me about his backpacking trips through Israel, camping on top of houses, his sculpting hobbies and how he lives in Jimi Hendrix's old apt in Greenwich village. It was cool. In fact, that interview was the emotional impetus that finally sold me on the school. :rolleyes:

Gulch said:
Now that's a cool story--now why wouldn't you have shared that with the interviewer at your preferred school? ;) Just kidding. But really, in one of my favorite interviews we started talking about some of our "other" interests and the interviewer told me about his backpacking trips through Israel, camping on top of houses, his sculpting hobbies and how he lives in Jimi Hendrix's old apt in Greenwich village. It was cool. In fact, that interview was the emotional impetus that finally sold me on the school. :rolleyes:

The interviewer you had seemed to mention about his Jimi Hendrix's apartment a lot. I also heard about that from this other person. Makes me wonder why he talks so much about his Jimin Hendrix apartment. Mmmmph. Something to wonder about.

I like to add one more of the things not to say during an interview...

"Is it true that your school is really merging with the nursing school?"
"Is it true that there is a high attrition rate for your first class?"
"Is Amy Knowles a robot?"

Hint. Hint. These are for NYU.

jk5177 said:
The interviewer you had seemed to mention about his Jimi Hendrix's apartment a lot. I also heard about that from this other person. Makes me wonder why he talks so much about his Jimin Hendrix apartment. Mmmmph. Something to wonder about.

First of all, congrats on getting into UCLA.

Second, I appreciate your reply, but hey, if I lived in that apt I would tell everyone too. It's like, when I'm asked to introduce myself to a group of people and say something special about myself I sometimes say "... and I love Led Zeppelin..." and everytime- not kidding- at least one person will come up after introductions and say, "me too man. I totally love Zeppelin!" Maybe the jimi thing is how he breaks the ice or something. I don't know. Just thought it was cool. Don't worry- it wasn't the deal breaker. But thanks for the heads up. :rolleyes:

Why do you want to pursue dentistry?

I flunked out of construction mgt when I couldn't get the gist of the grinder, drill or jack hammer...(I actually used an adaptation of this in my PC essay, except it was positive)

(I have post this before)

My Top 10 Reasons to Become a Dentist:

10. I like teeth.
9. Dental assistants; shall i say more??
8. Its the only healthcare profession in which you can get the patient to shut up while in your office.
7. Good $/easy life.
6. I can finally feed my 7 wives and 26 kids that i already have.
5. I look good in white.
4. I like to see blood all day long.
3. No HMO's
2. No beepers required.
1. I like to stick my tools in other people's mouths!

toofache32 said:
"So...how old is your daughter?"
:laugh: I almost asked this one at one school. The guy was talking about fishing and was really impressed that I was able to quote the next line when he quoted a line from the movie "a river runs through it" - he told me that's what won him over. Anyway, then he talks about his daughter and how she can fly fish and play the violin and everything - he's talking about her for maybe five minutes in our interview and I figured that was probably a good sign ;) I really wanted to ask if he had a picture of her.

Things not to say to the question - why our school?

"wo, wo wo wo! Dental school? I think there's been a misunderstanding"
"meh, nothin else goin on in my life right now"
Every time he asks the question try to change the subject by saying things like, "I really like that tie, where did you get it?" or "Ow! Cramp" and grab your leg while whincing in pain" or "excuse me, that's my cell phone vibrating" and fake an important conversation. Just see if you can get through the whole thing avoiding the question.

"I plan on getting pregnant right out of school and taking 4-6 years off to raise the children"

- you're guaranteed to get in if you say that.

Interviewer: "Do you have any questions?"

Interviewee: "Do you stock oxycotin in the pharmacy?"

“I don’t care for the money. All I wanted to do is to help people” :D

USUaggie said:
Every time he asks the question try to change the subject by saying things like, "I really like that tie, where did you get it?" or "Ow! Cramp" and grab your leg while whincing in pain" or "excuse me, that's my cell phone vibrating" and fake an important conversation. Just see if you can get through the whole thing avoiding the question.

You've been watching too much " Harold & Kumar go to White Castle " lately

HuyetKiem said:

For those of you who've seen Super Troopers, you and a friend could see who can say "meow" more during the interview:

you: "Well, lemme tell you meow, the reason I wanna be a dentist..."
interviewer: "Did you just say meow?"
"Do I look like a cat to you meow?"

just watch the opening scene in harold and kumar when kumar was in his med skewl interview...priceless

The Godfather said:
Interviewer: "Do you have any questions?"

Interviewee: "Do you stock oxycotin in the pharmacy?"
Along the same lines:
-"When do I get my key to the narcotics cabinet?"
-"You don't drug test students do you?"

One of my friends interviewed at a medical school that he wasn't impressed with and he decided to have some fun with the interview.
Interviewer: Any other questions about the school?
My Friend: Is it true that Jack Kevorkian got his MD here?

That stopped the interview dead in its tracks.

"So when I graduate I will be able to prescribe medicinal marijuana right."

HuyetKiem said:
I've actually never seen that - I thought the previews looked pretty dumb. Do you recommend it?

"So, can i hook my friends up with free cleaning and stuff??"

"do I have to work with my hands"
"I just want to become a dentist so i can create my own business so that other dentists can work for me, such as as yourself" Wink wink
"Can i take some novacaine and blue moose to my dads dental practice he told me to get some since i'm interviewing here"
"are all the faculty members as good looking as you"

USUaggie said:
I've actually never seen that - I thought the previews looked pretty dumb. Do you recommend it?

My friend you are missing out on one of the best movies ever made. Those two guys are my idols. That move is a must see.

Hope they come out with a sequel like "Harold & Kumar Go to Chuck E. Cheese" or something.

cowsgomoo said:
My friend you are missing out on one of the best movies ever made. Those two guys are my idols. That move is a must see.

Hope they come out with a sequel like "Harold & Kumar Go to Chuck E. Cheese" or something.

I think there is a sequel in the works, I thinks its going to be Harold & Kumar go to Amsterdam.

HD

Interviewer: Why do you want to be a dentist?

Interviewee: I sure do like to tell people they have a pretty mouth.
I like to have women open up and say "ah"
Hey, I got to do something. Why not this?

Is this the line for Metallica?

"Why don't you just reject me man?! See if I care!"

"Why are you asking me all these questions? I'm just here for a cleaning..."

"You're my safety school."

"Let's just skip all the chit-chat and put my acceptance letter in the mail, eh?"

"This is definitely my top choice school for med school"

The imaginary word "tooths"

jiffbedgerson said:
The imaginary word "tooths"
That makes me think of the movie "My Cousin Vinnie"

Joe Pesci: "These two y'ut's..."
JUDGE: "Excuse me, did you say "yoots"?"

I was talking about this thread with my friend Aaron and what we came up with were:
-Any use of the word "y'all" (unless you're interviewing at Univ. of Alabama-Birmingham; and remember it's not "Birm-ing-ham", it's "Burm-ing-um"- my fiancee is originally from Alabama and I was lectured at length by her dad about my apparent mispronunciation of the state capitol.)
-The word "Toof" or "Teef" (if you can pronounce the word 'teeth' and want to be a dentist, it's like wanting to be an optometrist and not being able to say the word "eye" correctly.)
-"I am a published author. If you count Penthouse Letters as a scholarly journal."

When I get nervous, the absolute.......raw......uninhibited........most inappropriate things start to fly out of my mouth!!!!

Last edited: