things they don't teach you in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

killingbill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. "I'm leaving to go on vacation in an hour. I just got this medication a week ago. Can you call my insurance right now?" Yeah you and 5 other people wait until the last possible second to do this ****.

2. "15 minute wait? That long? It's just birth control." When it's done in 5 minutes, let that b*tch wait out the full 15 minutes before you tell her its ready.

3. "I need refills. I don't know the names of my medications."

4. us: "It's too soon to fill. You just got a 90 day supply 2 weeks ago from another pharmacy. " them:" oh you mean i have to wait to get it? I have a new prescription though" fu*cking *****s

5. "I'm in the system. I can't wait, I gotta go" as they through the prescription at us and run out the door. of course they've never been here before. they come back an hour later, them: "what do you mean it's not ready?" us: "you've never been here before." them: "this isn't rite aid?" us: "no it's cvs"

6. them: "this is my insurance " (handing a united health care card to us) us: "this has no RX benefits" them: "it's the only card that they gave me, i may have medco can you call them"....i call medco, after name and DOB search patient cannot be found, i call united healthcare and and they tell me that they have caremark...i call caremark get card info...us: "you have caremark for RX benefits." them: "oh yeah i remember now"

7. us: "your medication is not covered by your insurance" them: "but i have a prescription, i don't understand" us:"no it's not that, just the medication your doctor wrote for is not covered, them: "why would the doctor write for something that's not covered, what an idiot"...do they have insurance 101 for these as*holes?

8. us: "you're medication is not in stock, we can order it for tomorrow" them: "but i need it right now." us: "i can't to locate it at another store, i'm sorry, it's not a common medication." them: "i can't stand this place, well what do i do i need it now!" (the prescription was dated 2 months ago)

9."hello, can i speak to the pharmacist." tech: "he's on the phone right now, he may be a little while". them: "i'll wait"..10 min later... tech: "sorry he's taking awhile with the insurance,would you like him to call you back?" them: "no i''ll wait"... i get on the phone 10 minutes later...them: "i've been holding for so long!!!" me: "i apologize, how can i help you?" them: "i need a refill"

10. No we do not handle prescriptions for x-rays, ct-scans, bone density scans, etc. etc....

AND WHAT'S THE #1 QUESTION THEY NEVER TAUGHT YOU THAT YOU WOULD BE ASKED AS A PHARMACIST IN PHARMACY SCHOOL: CAN I PAY FOR THIS HERE?

Members don't see this ad.

Ah the joy of retail pharmacy.

Hospital isn't as much fun.

Nurse: I'm missing a dose of xyz. Us: the technician sent it up over an hour ago. Did you check the fridge?. Nurse: yeah! I looked every where! Us: send a tech up with another dose. Technician comes back with the "missing" dose: it was in the fridge.

Reactions: 1 user
don't forget the people who have gotten 4 different hydrocodone scripts from 4 different doctors in the last two weeks...

me: I'm sorry, I can't fill this for you for 2 more days.
patient: What do you mean! I was in the ER for 3 hours today!

Members don't see this ad :)
I beg to differ. The #1 question they never taught you in pharmacy school should be when someone jump out of nowhere and asks, "Do you have the key to the restroom?", right when you are in the middle of counselling a pt on medication use. And some even keeping calling you when you try to ignore them.

I beg to differ. The #1 question they never taught you in pharmacy school should be when someone jump out of nowhere and asks, "Do you have the key to the restroom?", right when you are in the middle of counselling a pt on medication use. And some even keeping calling you when you try to ignore them.

while this does happen to me at least a dozen times per shift, I'd still say l "can i pay for this here?" wins out. luckily for me at Wags, our corporate (our maybe regional) policy is now no calling to get insurance info if they don't have it. i can call for fixes etc but if you're too irresponsible to have it, we ain't doing it for ya.

Common Sense.

End of the thread.

It is always front and center in the refrigerator. I also like when nurses can't find something and it's in their nurse server drawer. "Oh, I didn't think it'd be there."

Nurse: I'm missing a dose of xyz. Us: the technician sent it up over an hour ago. Did you check the fridge?. Nurse: yeah! I looked every where! Us: send a tech up with another dose. Technician comes back with the "missing" dose: it was in the fridge.

"Sorry sir, I can't fill this oxycodone script because you already picked up 200 tablets from Walmart yesterday." , "that script was for my neck pain, this one is for my back pain. YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS! ARE YOU A STUPID PHARMACIST? YOU ARE AN IDIOT! GIVE ME MY OXYCODONE", "not today, sir"

1. "I'm leaving to go on vacation in an hour. I just got this medication a week ago. Can you call my insurance right now?" Yeah you and 5 other people wait until the last possible second to do this ****.

2. "15 minute wait? That long? It's just birth control." When it's done in 5 minutes, let that b*tch wait out the full 15 minutes before you tell her its ready.

3. "I need refills. I don't know the names of my medications."

4. us: "It's too soon to fill. You just got a 90 day supply 2 weeks ago from another pharmacy. " them:" oh you mean i have to wait to get it? I have a new prescription though" fu*cking *****s

5. "I'm in the system. I can't wait, I gotta go" as they through the prescription at us and run out the door. of course they've never been here before. they come back an hour later, them: "what do you mean it's not ready?" us: "you've never been here before." them: "this isn't rite aid?" us: "no it's cvs"

6. them: "this is my insurance " (handing a united health care card to us) us: "this has no RX benefits" them: "it's the only card that they gave me, i may have medco can you call them"....i call medco, after name and DOB search patient cannot be found, i call united healthcare and and they tell me that they have caremark...i call caremark get card info...us: "you have caremark for RX benefits." them: "oh yeah i remember now"

7. us: "your medication is not covered by your insurance" them: "but i have a prescription, i don't understand" us:"no it's not that, just the medication your doctor wrote for is not covered, them: "why would the doctor write for something that's not covered, what an idiot"...do they have insurance 101 for these as*holes?

8. us: "you're medication is not in stock, we can order it for tomorrow" them: "but i need it right now." us: "i can't to locate it at another store, i'm sorry, it's not a common medication." them: "i can't stand this place, well what do i do i need it now!" (the prescription was dated 2 months ago)

9."hello, can i speak to the pharmacist." tech: "he's on the phone right now, he may be a little while". them: "i'll wait"..10 min later... tech: "sorry he's taking awhile with the insurance,would you like him to call you back?" them: "no i''ll wait"... i get on the phone 10 minutes later...them: "i've been holding for so long!!!" me: "i apologize, how can i help you?" them: "i need a refill"

10. No we do not handle prescriptions for x-rays, ct-scans, bone density scans, etc. etc....

AND WHAT'S THE #1 QUESTION THEY NEVER TAUGHT YOU THAT YOU WOULD BE ASKED AS A PHARMACIST IN PHARMACY SCHOOL: CAN I PAY FOR THIS HERE?

You don't have to call your patients names....

You don't have to call your patients names....

This.

Also, I have been working community pharmacy full time for a year and don't really have too many problems with most of the stuff on this list. I find most of our patients to be very pleasant.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This.

Also, I have been working community pharmacy full time for a year and don't really have too many problems with most of the stuff on this list. I find most of our patients to be very pleasant.

Likewise, the things I've heard on this crap come up maybe 1 in every 500 patients or so?

What if they call you names?

It doesn't phase me. Lots of patients are sick, in pain, or otherwise feel bad. I'm not going to spend the energy to figure out who is having a hard time and who is really a tool. I'd rather let it roll off my back, get the job done, and go on with life.

I wish schools could teach empathy. Being a patient is hard work too...all those doc appointments, remembering meds, etc.

Does it really bother you that much? Honest question.

You're there to do a job. You're going to encounter all types of personalities no matter where you are...and the attitudes/moods of your colleagues aren't always ponies and rainbows, either.

Likewise, the things I've heard on this crap come up maybe 1 in every 500 patients or so?

Yeah, no kidding! Most patients are ok. And they can tell if you're in a bad mood too. They'll most likely respond negatively if they sense that you don't want to be bothered. Kill them with kindness! A good reflective response usually does the trick. I think the only times it hasn't worked was when someone was literally high on drugs or SMI.

I know it's preaching to the choir, but so many of the bad attitudes and much of the stress-induced nastiness you see in a retail pharmacy would be lowered if we had better staffing, maybe mandated by law?

CVS runs a barebones skeleton crew at their stores locally, and it's no wonder both the staff and patients are always raging.

I know it's preaching to the choir, but so many of the bad attitudes and much of the stress-induced nastiness you see in a retail pharmacy would be lowered if we had better staffing, maybe mandated by law?

CVS runs a barebones skeleton crew at their stores locally, and it's no wonder both the staff and patients are always raging.

I agree. It makes it difficult and could potentially lead to more errors if there are multiple distractions. I hated working drive thru some days because of the ridiculous requests and subsequent complaining ("can you put a jug of milk through [pneumatic tube]?", "I'll take a pack of virginia slims.", "Can you get me a pack of pampers? I can't come in.") That little bell would ring in my dreams after a bad day :p

I don't think a patient has ever called me a name. LOL. But one did ask me out on Tuesday. It was kind of cute.

Something they didn't teach us: how to say "no" to unstable psych patients that want to get dinner with you. :laugh:

Edit: One even offered me tickets to a football game and got offended when I still said no.

When you're a male pharmacist.

Getting a comment about an attractive female co-worker from a male patient. - My hands form a fist and my eyes go into a glare mode that shouts out, she's mine.

Getting a comment about an attractive female patient from a male patient. - Awkward laughing and internal thought about if only the guy knew that she just picked up a script for gonorrhea treatment.

When you're a male pharmacist.

Getting a comment about an attractive female co-worker from a male patient. - My hands form a fist and my eyes go into a glare mode that shouts out, she's mine.

Getting a comment about an attractive female patient from a male patient. - Awkward laughing and internal thought about if only the guy knew that she just picked up a script for gonorrhea treatment.

You must really hate your job. Never dip your pen in the company ink if you enjoy your job.

The title of this thread should be changed to "things you would have learned working as an intern pharmacist"

Common Sense.

End of the thread.
Not many people have it:scared:
When I use to work in retail, one of the techs insisted on telling every patient " your prescription will be ready in 15 min" knowing that there is no way in hell it'll be ready by then. I asked her why did she do it and she said the DM instructed everyone to say that. The pharmacist didn't care to correct her and the rest of the techs had to apologize to the waiting patients because their meds weren't ready. Most patients were slightly upset but the gift card took care of the loudest ones.Every once in a while we get the full blown " I WANT ALL MY PRESCRIPTIONS TRANSFERRED NOW"

You must really hate your job. Never dip your pen in the company ink if you enjoy your job.

Does that rule still apply even though you knew said attractive co-worker from junior high school and had a crush on her since then and still somehow you guys still managed to work at the same store in the same chain?

:laugh::laugh:

What I meant was pharmacists should not have to take that abuse from patients. People can have bad days but to take it out on someone else... that's no fun.

You dont learn how angry, jaded and bitter the typical Phamacist is.

You also don't learn how someone can perform so poorly at thei job duties yet be retained by the company. This goes for all levels of pharmacy. Unless you steal, you won't be fired

You dont learn how angry, jaded and bitter the typical Phamacist is.

You also don't learn how someone can perform so poorly at thei job duties yet be retained by the company. This goes for all levels of pharmacy. Unless you steal, you won't be fired

You sound jaded bro. ;)

well, I did say most pharmacists.

Another jaded thing:

How to develop the problem solving skills to clean-up all your coworkers mess when all you have is an angry patient and their convoluted story about what is wrong.

"I need my atenol, Zorcor, isorbride, and Norvasec."

Yes, we know what you mean. :D

"I need my atenol, Zorcor, isorbride, and Norvasec."

Yes, we know what you mean. :D

:laugh: Yep, yep, yep. And somehow simvastatin gains like... 12 consanants... "Gimme some uh my uh simvasststssssin"

Does that rule still apply even though you knew said attractive co-worker from junior high school and had a crush on her since then and still somehow you guys still managed to work at the same store in the same chain?

Your damn straight that rule still applies. You're opening yourself to a possible, repeat possible, sexual harrassment issue if it turns out she'd rather lick a bathroom floor than date you. Even if you guys dated but you broke up, thats gonna be a huge PITA if things really go south. Doesn't matter if you knew her since junior high and her parents are your best friends and they think of you as a son etc...if it can go wrong, it probably will go wrong.

Sorry. Just the way I feel. Dating co-workers is dangerous.

Your damn straight that rule still applies. You're opening yourself to a possible, repeat possible, sexual harrassment issue if it turns out she'd rather lick a bathroom floor than date you. Even if you guys dated but you broke up, thats gonna be a huge PITA if things really go south. Doesn't matter if you knew her since junior high and her parents are your best friends and they think of you as a son etc...if it can go wrong, it probably will go wrong.

Simply asking a coworker on a date =/= sexual harassment, even if she declines.

Simply asking a coworker on a date =/= sexual harassment, even if she declines.

Sure but that opens the door to claims of sexual harrassment. Language, the wrong look, tone, etc. All of that can and will be misconstrued as something it is not.

It's like a city storm drain, if you will. You may not be jumping in but you are certainly walking around it while it is open. Same with above. He may not be flat out sexually harrassing her but he's opening the door to the possibility of being accused.

You're female so complaints of SA aren't taken as serious as they are for us, generally speaking. We get screwed whether or not we're guilty of it.

Sure but that opens the door to claims of sexual harrassment. Language, the wrong look, tone, etc. All of that can and will be misconstrued as something it is not.

It's like a city storm drain, if you will. You may not be jumping in but you are certainly walking around it while it is open. Same with above. He may not be flat out sexually harrassing her but he's opening the door to the possibility of being accused.

You're female so complaints of SA aren't taken as serious as they are for us, generally speaking. We get screwed whether or not we're guilty of it.

I agree that he shouldn't do it, mostly because I doubt he can pull it off without being lascivious and/or creepy, but just asking someone out doesn't meet the legal standard. The other things you mentioned... language, wrong look, tone of voice... I guess those could be considered sexual harassment under the "hostile" environment definition. But usually it requires something a little more pervasive than just "he looked at me wrong."

Ben Jammin is right on with this point. You gotta CYA at work as a male when it comes to this b/c it can get outta hand and/or go south fast. Our bull**** courts got out of control with the sexual harassment business in the last decades. I'd recommend keeping it relatively asexual at work to protect yourself...

At my hospital, they love to lose things like Ambisome, and I'm not making another dose of that, so I make the nurse go check the fridge one more time while I'm on the line. Usually the nurse goes: "Oh! It is there! The tech must've just delivered it." Me: "No, I'm the tech, and I delivered it two hours ago."