things they don't teach you in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish schools could teach empathy. Being a patient is hard work too...all those doc appointments, remembering meds, etc.

:thumbup:

Even if they aren't sick or having to keep track of a lot of different appointments, you have no idea what is going on in their life to put them in a bad mood. It's not our job to **** on them more.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that he shouldn't do it, mostly because I doubt he can pull it off without being lascivious and/or creepy, but just asking someone out doesn't meet the legal standard. The other things you mentioned... language, wrong look, tone of voice... I guess those could be considered sexual harassment under the "hostile" environment definition. But usually it requires something a little more pervasive than just "he looked at me wrong."

It may not meet the legal standard but it can lead to being accused of doing it which is just as bad as actually doing it. Let me throw this at you: if you had two kids who drove then which one would you be worried about getting a speeding ticket, the kid who has never been pulled over or the kid who was given a warning by a cop? Obviously the latter. Your whole perspective changes once the circumstances become more real. If he asks her out on a date and she is disgusted by it then those normal everyday looks he gives her might feel different than if she had never been asked that.

I understand your perspective but this is a case where being proactive is better than reactive. But if he's willing to risk his job for a date with her then whatareyagonnado lol

Members don't see this ad :)
That would not be possible at LIU. There are just too many beautiful women there.

We have a lot of good people failing the p3 program right now... I never saw much of the pre pharm girls. Pharm program probably isn't that different, but shoot, exams are kicking your butt you dont even have time to look at someone lol. I think the girls in the music or art department or cute in LIU :3. And you are right :(

We have a lot of good people failing the p3 program right now... I never saw much of the pre pharm girls. Pharm program probably isn't that different, but shoot, exams are kicking your butt you dont even have time to look at someone lol. I think the girls in the music or art department or cute in LIU :3. And you are right :(

That's why you go study in the cafeteria, main library, or Avena lounge. I always noticed that when I was doing pre-pharm at LIU, the pharmacy kids would always stay around the health science or pharmacy building and would only venture over to the main building for food.

That's why you go study in the cafeteria, main library, or Avena lounge. I always noticed that when I was doing pre-pharm at LIU, the pharmacy kids would always stay around the health science or pharmacy building and would only venture over to the main building for food.

I wouldn't be able to focus much in the cafeteria.

Unless I had noise cancelling headphones and I was listening to podcasts about my textbook or something.

I wouldn't be able to focus much in the cafeteria.

Unless I had noise cancelling headphones and I was listening to podcasts about my textbook or something.

Ah, you're one of the people who needs quiet to study. I need noise. When you're in the cafeteria and all 500 people in there are talking, it's all a bunch of white noise.

In all seriousness, one thing they dont teach you is about OTC medications. We had an optional class, but very few people took it. I cant suggest highly enough to become educated in interactions with OTC meds. It will become very helpful in your retail career.

In all seriousness, one thing they dont teach you is about OTC medications. We had an optional class, but very few people took it. I cant suggest highly enough to become educated in interactions with OTC meds. It will become very helpful in your retail career.

Which school doesn't teach that? We had a year's worth.

They joys of retail.....its not for everybody.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which school doesn't teach that? We had a year's worth.

It was required at our school and the professor who taught it wrote one of the only two textbooks on the market that talks about OTC therapeutics.

If only learning OTC products was fun.

It feels too much like rote memorization and then you regurgitate. Then most people forget unless they see it at work everyday.

If only learning OTC products was fun.

It feels too much like rote memorization and then you regurgitate. Then most people forget unless they see it at work everyday.

or at home.

USC has a 1 semester course during P2 and mandatory OTC presentation during the P4 community pharmacy rotation.

It's required at both schools I've been affiliated with. As a resident, I was one of the instructors for the course.

That said, a lot of OTC therapeutics should be covered during regular therapeutics: PPIs during GI, APAP/IBU/ASA during pain management, antihistamines during allergies/anaphylaxis. People shouldn't be TOTALLY unfamiliar with it.

It's required at both schools I've been affiliated with. As a resident, I was one of the instructors for the course.

That said, a lot of OTC therapeutics should be covered during regular therapeutics: PPIs during GI, APAP/IBU/ASA during pain management, antihistamines during allergies/anaphylaxis. People shouldn't be TOTALLY unfamiliar with it.

This. They incorporate it into our therapeutics courses as well. We do patient cases and most patients show up on some kind of OTC or herbal product.

We have a "self care" course that features OTCs, and thankfully most of our therapeutics classes have covered the OTC components of disease care.

At UIC, OTC and herbals is a required one semester course during your P-3 year. Some of the information is covered in our regular pharmacotherapy courses. OTCs are extremely important for retail. Sometimes, though, they don't like your answer. If pressed, I'll tell them, none of the OTC cough medication work well. Mucinex is just as effective as drinking lots of water to help thin out mucus.

At UIC, OTC and herbals is a required one semester course during your P-3 year. Some of the information is covered in our regular pharmacotherapy courses. OTCs are extremely important for retail. Sometimes, though, they don't like your answer. If pressed, I'll tell them, none of the OTC cough medication work well. Mucinex is just as effective as drinking lots of water to help thin out mucus.

Be a dick and sell them the homeopathic product if they question you -- "Hey, look at the box -- it says it will cure your earache and make everything peachy and copasetic!"

Most things you need to actually do the work they don't teach you in school. But if you work while you are in school, you learn everything you need to know.

This applies to virtually every field, not just pharmacy, BTW.

My biggest lesson since getting out of school has been: "Thou shalt not provide any more explanation than absolutely necessary. Any extra information leads to confusion and/or misunderstanding, which leads to problems and/or time wasted." I got that down pat in the pharmacy, though I do occasionally forget this golden rule when working with highly educated professionals in corporate America. Unfortunately, the rule applies to them as much if not more, than to semi-literate patients. Especially if they are lawyers.

Most things you need to actually do the work they don't teach you in school. But if you work while you are in school, you learn everything you need to know.

This applies to virtually every field, not just pharmacy, BTW.

My biggest lesson since getting out of school has been: "Thou shalt not provide any more explanation than absolutely necessary. Any extra information leads to confusion and/or misunderstanding, which leads to problems and/or time wasted." I got that down pat in the pharmacy, though I do occasionally forget this golden rule when working with highly educated professionals in corporate America. Unfortunately, the rule applies to them as much if not more, than to semi-literate patients. Especially if they are lawyers.

Your explanation skills suck yo....:smuggrin: