Things to Buy Before Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurghMed

Shaka Bra!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm trying to compile a legit list of stuff that most medical students could do with or buy before school starts for themselves/their apartment. I'm hoping to get the most input from current students.

There have been a couple past threads with some good information, but some things are a bit out of date.

What I have so far:

1) Good desk, desk chair, desk lamp
2) Monitor
3) Large moleskin style calendar notebook (if school's online calendar interface isn't too difficult) to keep track of meetings, class's, quizzes, etc)
4) Google Drive/Dropbox
5) Depending on school and first year schedule, appropriate books older students recommend (if digital copy via dropbox isn't provided)
6) Spotify subscription (student price obv)
7) Solid pair of over the ear headphones
8) Reliable coffee machine
9) Enough smartphone usb/charger cords and perhaps an external battery
10) Crock pot

These are just a few things i've thought about and a current med student recommended.

Please feel free to add (or tell me to remove) any of the things on this list. Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
3) Large moleskin style calendar notebook (if school's online calendar interface isn't too difficult) to keep track of meetings, class's, quizzes, etc) -- Not sure if it's necessary. I use gmail/google.

5) Depending on school and first year schedule, appropriate books older students recommend (if digital copy via dropbox isn't provided) - don't buy any books is my rec. I never opened them. Your library should have online subscriptions. Only thing you will need at some point is first aid.

7) Solid pair of over the ear headphones - my rec get bluetooth noise cancelling

9) Enough smartphone usb/charger cords and perhaps an external battery - for 3rd year I found having external battery super useful, but not entirely necessary.

Good travel mug for coffee

Members don't see this ad :)
5) Depending on school and first year schedule, appropriate books older students recommend (if digital copy via dropbox isn't provided)

you can also find a lot of digital ebook copies of textbook on sites like libgen.io etc

also I would highly recommend a foam mattress topper. nothing is more valuable than sleep in medical school and you might as well make it a comfortable sleep too

maybe a comftorable computer mouse too instead of using the laptop trackpad

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Solid laptop and reliable car if you don't already have them.

Is a watch necessary? Not a watch-wearer but I've heard some things about its usefulness in and out of the wards.

portable 2TB hard drive

Reactions: 2 users
Is a watch necessary? Not a watch-wearer but I've heard some things about its usefulness in and out of the wards.

My school required them for our OSCEs. Our sim lab rooms don't have clocks on the wall, so you needed some way to keep time for things like respiration rate and pulse (and phones were not allowed).

Speaking of watches, I enjoy the aesthetic and have ~5. They're all Fossil, but only one of them is an automatic. I believe 3/4 watch batteries have died recently and one whose battery was replaced in the last 1-1/2 year died again.
Therefore, if buying a watch, I highly suggest buying one of automatic or digital quality.

Full box-set of Grey's Anatomy for reference and emotional support when you inevitably have sex with an attending in an elevator.

Reactions: 18 users
I just got a white board. Personal preference, but I like to write out pathways and such on white board to practice, and I prefer to study at home at night. Actually got a fairly big one, that comes on a stand, and has a light (not sure I'll need it) for like 50-60 bucks on Walmart.com

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of watches, I enjoy the aesthetic and have ~5. They're all Fossil, but only one of them is an automatic. I believe 3/4 watch batteries have died recently and one whose battery was replaced in the last 1-1/2 year died again.
Therefore, if buying a watch, I highly suggest buying one of automatic or digital quality.

Get a nice Seiko or Hamilton (if you want Swiss) automatic and you'll be set for many years.

I'm going to buy myself a cute and sleek metal lunch box. My lunch game will be on fleek.

Reactions: 13 users
Thanks all. Feel free to keep adding anything.

What I have so far:

2) Monitor
3) Large moleskin style calendar notebook (if school's online calendar interface isn't too difficult) to keep track of meetings, class's, quizzes, etc)
4) Google Drive/Dropbox (or large external portable hard drive)
10) Crock pot
11) Wireless mouse
12) a decent watch
13) Large white board/markers
14) quality, comfy mattress
15) Pleasing alarm clock (not too pleasing)

Depends diapers and gummy worms. You got a lot of studying to do my friend.

For real though, the above advice people have provided is very good and sufficient. Good luck.

1) Not necessarily in first year, but a truly comfortable pair of both dress shoes and tennis shoes/clogs/something you don't mind possibly ruining is critical. In 3rd year, you will round endlessly or be standing in the OR for 8-12 hours for some cases. Keep in mind that what is comfortable to walk in is not necessarily comfortable to stand still in for hours.
2) Highlighters galore if you like to highlight (or post-its if you like to mark pages).
3) Quick study snacks and foods really quick to make. Especially after you finish med school and start residency, you would never guess how daunting even making a sandwich or heating up a microwaveable meal is at the end of the day.
4) Really great mattress and pillows
5) Ear plugs
6) Pathoma subscription... wish I got that much earlier than midway into 2nd year.
7) Watch with an electronic face... I hate watches, but it was nice to have in OSCEs and third year, and electronic was easier to time off of for me.
8) The only truly essential books are First Aid (don't bother buying it first year unless you're a complete gunner) and some anatomy textbook (Netter's or Rohen are most popular). Pocket Medicine and Surgical recall are helpful for 3rd year. Dubin's EKG is also really helpful.

Reactions: 6 users
A garbage can for your hopes and dreams.

Reactions: 5 users

Seiko 5 comes to mind, military dial and inexpensive. Had one for years, it's indestructible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks @girlofgrace7

I'll try to stick to first year material, but thanks for the second/third year style additions like pathoma, pocket medicine, surgical. I'll leave the books out but make note that Netters, Rohen are great to have depending on one's schedule and if their school doesn't give them access to copies.

2) Monitor
4) Google Drive/Dropbox (or large external portable hard drive)
10) Crock pot
11) Wireless mouse
12) a decent watch
13) Large white board/markers
14) quality, comfy bed (mattress, pillows)
15) Pleasing alarm clock (not too pleasing)
16) Ear plugs
17) Good quick snack foods, protein bars
18) Highlighters, post it notes (if thats your thing)
19) Comfortable tennis shoes that can be destroyed

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F0W1RIW/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Anyone use this and recommend it? I have no problem sleeping a few hours and waking up at 5am, but it takes 10mins of angry grogginess to get myself out of bed

check out psycheducation.org
the sections on darkness and light is really good! explains the science, links to research, and has practical suggestion for what you could call light and chronotherapy

for some people it can change your life!!!

Tupperware to store frozen food in

Reactions: 2 users