Things to buy before medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor2be17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting medical school this Fall and was wondering if any current students had any suggestions of things to buy before college starts. Whether its useful things you found help to study or anything else of value!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Buy some hobby-related stuff to keep you sane. Comic books, DVDs, ping pong table (if you have room) etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting medical school this Fall and was wondering if any current students had any suggestions of things to buy before college starts. Whether its useful things you found help to study or anything else of value!
Thanks!

Invest in a comfortable chair and desk if you like studying at home. Coffee maker if you like drinking coffee in the AM. Good computer/laptop to take notes and study on. Do NOT buy books, they're worthless and you can find PDF copies of em online for free.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't started either, but I hear it's good to prepare multiple ways to study. Examples: Chalk board, note cards, white board, laptop, printer. You get burnt out studying the same way all day, every day.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=999252

And

"First and Second Year

1) BRS Pathology
2) BRS Physiology
3) BRS Histology
4) Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Pharmacology
5) Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry
6) Netter's Anatomy
7) Rohen's Photographic Anatomy Atlas.
8) Grant's Dissector
9) First Aid for Step 1

Third Year:

1) "Blueprints" for every rotation.
2) Medicine at a Glance
3) OB-GYN at a Glance"

Source: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=95608

Reactions: 1 user
Research and find out professors who have publications every year and encourage med students to be published.

Start your clinical research before medical school.

And

"First and Second Year

1) BRS Pathology
2) BRS Physiology
3) BRS Histology
6) Netter's Anatomy
8) Grant's Dissector
9) First Aid for Step 1

Third Year:

2) Medicine at a Glance
3) OB-GYN at a Glance"

Premeds telling other premeds to buy books about third year rotations before medical school starts.

tumblr_m7oq5k17pY1r3084q.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear med school professors love it when you show up in their office during first week orientation asking to do research with them.

And

"First and Second Year

1) BRS Pathology
2) BRS Physiology
3) BRS Histology
6) Netter's Anatomy
8) Grant's Dissector
9) First Aid for Step 1

Third Year:

2) Medicine at a Glance
3) OB-GYN at a Glance"

Do not buy those books.

Lube. Med school will raw dog you regardless.

workstation/desk
quality laptop/notebook
george foreman grill
a girlfriend ( this might get a bit expensive depending on the make/model)
Iserson's Guide to Residency ( might as well know what you need to do to be competitive)

I think these items will help you out. LOL

08520.jpg

31yJZRTzyKL.jpg

a nice pair of sound-isolating headphones or ear buds for the endless library/cafe/bed/bar studying

a nice laptop with nice battery life like the new MBA

and an alarm clock that will punch you in the face if you don't wake up

Reactions: 2 users
a nice pair of sound-isolating headphones or ear buds for the endless library/cafe/bed/bar studying

a nice laptop with nice battery life like the new MBA

and an alarm clock that will punch you in the face if you don't wake up

there is one that shocks you everytime you try to snooze it

there is another that has a spring and jumps off your nightstand and you have to get up to find it.

finally, there is a third alarm clock that donates money ($5-10) everytime you hit the snooze from your bank account.

Reactions: 3 users
I read Iserson's. Everything in it is already on SDN. I didn't understand the point for putting down money for it.

there is one that shocks you everytime you try to snooze it

there is another that has a spring and jumps off your nightstand and you have to get up to find it.

finally, there is a third alarm clock that donates money ($5-10) everytime you hit the snooze from your bank account.

Regarding a loud alarm clock, is it still recommended if you have roommates in med school? I used to have a crazy alarm clock but I felt so bad for my roommate every time it goes off...

Regarding a loud alarm clock, is it still recommended if you have roommates in med school? I used to have a crazy alarm clock but I felt so bad for my roommate every time it goes off...

If they are the same year as you.... then youre doing them a favor.
also, I assume you and your roommate will have separate rooms. its not like its just one big room (like the dorms)

i recommend the shocker alarm clock for you. :smuggrin:

A good French press. It has made things so much better.

A quality iron and ironing board

If you have a smartphone, just download the Alarm clock Xtreme free app. There is an option to make it so you have to solve complex math problems before you can turn the alarm off. I couple that with putting it across the room when I go to bed. I never oversleep. :thumbup:

I'd never even heard of cafestol until you mentioned it. I've been in a downward spiral ever since.

Although I've continued to french press my coffee every day. lol

Lol yeah me too. I think I'm just going to leave mine at home when I move so I don't have the urge.

Good mattress
Good chair/desk
Good headphones/computer
Good coffeemaker

Those are the things you'll use daily

Coffee? thats for wimps... If you want to really wake up everytime, go with cocaine.

not srs.

Hey, at least it keeps you awake AND sheds off extra pounds!

A coffee maker is a good investment, better than blowing money at Starbucks every day. Also, a crockpot.

I hear med school professors love it when you show up in their office during first week orientation asking to do research with them.

I went up and asked a professor during a second look if I could do research with him. It's summer time and I am now working in his lab lol.

Hey, at least it keeps you awake AND sheds off extra pounds!

A coffee maker is a good investment, better than blowing money at Starbucks every day. Also, a crockpot.

Lol if you think Starbucks is expensive, wait till you see what Victoria's Secret charges per cup.

yFtfY.gif

I made it through UG without becoming dependent on coffee, but I'm not so sure about med school - going to play by ear..

:thumbup:

I bet I pissed off all the girls on SDN who shop there...:rolleyes:

I've got dozens of VS jokes that I can tell you guys... if one of you makes a joke thread.

I didnt drink coffee until last year... honestly I dont see the hype.

You right.

Netter's, subscriptions to Firecracker and Pathoma and you're set.

did you use firecracker first year? Its expensive but if their claims of improved retention of high yield material are true I guess its worth it.

If you have a smartphone, just download the Alarm clock Xtreme free app. There is an option to make it so you have to solve complex math problems before you can turn the alarm off. I couple that with putting it across the room when I go to bed. I never oversleep. :thumbup:

evil

love it

:thumbup:

I bet I pissed off all the girls on SDN who shop there...:rolleyes:

I've got dozens of VS jokes that I can tell you guys... if one of you makes a joke thread.

I didnt drink coffee until last year... honestly I dont see the hype.

Eh I don't shop there but I know their prices and your comment pretty much hit the mark (I lol'd at it, actually). That said, there are plenty of pieces of expensive clothing (with far less use) that a person could mock way worse--c'mon, face value for many sports jerseys is 100+ dollars usually and you don't wear them a quarter as much nor are they as durable.

...I can't believe I'm arguing about this. I swear being one of the few token females on this board makes me feel the need to chime in whenever comments drift to gender differences/relations.

I have a keurig and I love it; I suck at making coffee but it's definitely needed to keep me going on 4-5hrs of sleep until I can nap (which happened a lot senior year). Definitely will bring my keurig with me to med school.

Also:
-highlighters (altho with my new ipad mini idk how many physical textbooks I will buy)
-white boards
-calendar/planner
-some light novels to keep me sane