You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Things to buy before medical school
Started by Doctor2be17
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Buy some hobby-related stuff to keep you sane. Comic books, DVDs, ping pong table (if you have room) etc.
Alcohol.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm starting medical school this Fall and was wondering if any current students had any suggestions of things to buy before college starts. Whether its useful things you found help to study or anything else of value!
Thanks!
Invest in a comfortable chair and desk if you like studying at home. Coffee maker if you like drinking coffee in the AM. Good computer/laptop to take notes and study on. Do NOT buy books, they're worthless and you can find PDF copies of em online for free.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=999252
And
"First and Second Year
1) BRS Pathology
2) BRS Physiology
3) BRS Histology
4) Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Pharmacology
5) Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry
6) Netter's Anatomy
7) Rohen's Photographic Anatomy Atlas.
8) Grant's Dissector
9) First Aid for Step 1
Third Year:
1) "Blueprints" for every rotation.
2) Medicine at a Glance
3) OB-GYN at a Glance"
Source: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=95608
And
"First and Second Year
1) BRS Pathology
2) BRS Physiology
3) BRS Histology
4) Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Pharmacology
5) Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry
6) Netter's Anatomy
7) Rohen's Photographic Anatomy Atlas.
8) Grant's Dissector
9) First Aid for Step 1
Third Year:
1) "Blueprints" for every rotation.
2) Medicine at a Glance
3) OB-GYN at a Glance"
Source: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=95608
nothing
or alcohol
or a vacation
or alcohol
or a vacation
.
Last edited:
OP asked for things they should buy, not how to be a gunner![]()
Lol. 👍 Also read all the books twice before the first day or don't show up.

OP asked for things they should buy, not how to be a gunner![]()
Haha lol. Alright, I'll take it back, then. =P
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=999252
And
"First and Second Year
1) BRS Pathology
2) BRS Physiology
3) BRS Histology
4) Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Pharmacology
5) Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry
6) Netter's Anatomy
7) Rohen's Photographic Anatomy Atlas.
8) Grant's Dissector
9) First Aid for Step 1
Third Year:
1) "Blueprints" for every rotation.
2) Medicine at a Glance
3) OB-GYN at a Glance"
Source: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=95608
Premeds telling other premeds to buy books about third year rotations before medical school starts.
Premeds telling other premeds to buy books about third year rotations before medical school starts.
![]()

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=999252
And
"First and Second Year
1) BRS Pathology
2) BRS Physiology
3) BRS Histology
4) Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Pharmacology
5) Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry
6) Netter's Anatomy
7) Rohen's Photographic Anatomy Atlas.
8) Grant's Dissector
9) First Aid for Step 1
Third Year:
1) "Blueprints" for every rotation.
2) Medicine at a Glance
3) OB-GYN at a Glance"
Source: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=95608
Do not buy those books.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alcohol √
Condoms √
👍
Condoms √
👍
workstation/desk
quality laptop/notebook
george foreman grill
a girlfriend ( this might get a bit expensive depending on the make/model)
Iserson's Guide to Residency ( might as well know what you need to do to be competitive)
quality laptop/notebook
george foreman grill
a girlfriend ( this might get a bit expensive depending on the make/model)
Iserson's Guide to Residency ( might as well know what you need to do to be competitive)
I think these items will help you out. LOL
a nice pair of sound-isolating headphones or ear buds for the endless library/cafe/bed/bar studying
a nice laptop with nice battery life like the new MBA
and an alarm clock that will punch you in the face if you don't wake up
a nice laptop with nice battery life like the new MBA
and an alarm clock that will punch you in the face if you don't wake up
a nice pair of sound-isolating headphones or ear buds for the endless library/cafe/bed/bar studying
a nice laptop with nice battery life like the new MBA
and an alarm clock that will punch you in the face if you don't wake up
there is one that shocks you everytime you try to snooze it
there is another that has a spring and jumps off your nightstand and you have to get up to find it.
finally, there is a third alarm clock that donates money ($5-10) everytime you hit the snooze from your bank account.
I read Iserson's. Everything in it is already on SDN. I didn't understand the point for putting down money for it.
guess I wasted $35 bucks on it 🙁
there is one that shocks you everytime you try to snooze it
there is another that has a spring and jumps off your nightstand and you have to get up to find it.
finally, there is a third alarm clock that donates money ($5-10) everytime you hit the snooze from your bank account.
Regarding a loud alarm clock, is it still recommended if you have roommates in med school? I used to have a crazy alarm clock but I felt so bad for my roommate every time it goes off...
Regarding a loud alarm clock, is it still recommended if you have roommates in med school? I used to have a crazy alarm clock but I felt so bad for my roommate every time it goes off...
If they are the same year as you.... then youre doing them a favor.
also, I assume you and your roommate will have separate rooms. its not like its just one big room (like the dorms)
i recommend the shocker alarm clock for you.
Except for Netters, do buy that. 😎
You right.
Netter's, subscriptions to Firecracker and Pathoma and you're set.
finally, there is a third alarm clock that donates money ($5-10) everytime you hit the snooze from your bank account.
I don't think waking up to -$30 daily would put me in a good mood haha
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A good French press. It has made things so much better.
Except for your cholesterol levels.
🙁
If you have a smartphone, just download the Alarm clock Xtreme free app. There is an option to make it so you have to solve complex math problems before you can turn the alarm off. I couple that with putting it across the room when I go to bed. I never oversleep. 👍
Except for your cholesterol levels.
🙁
:cry::cry::cry:
:cry::cry::cry:
I'd never even heard of cafestol until you mentioned it. I've been in a downward spiral ever since.
Although I've continued to french press my coffee every day. lol
I'd never even heard of cafestol until you mentioned it. I've been in a downward spiral ever since.
Although I've continued to french press my coffee every day. lol
Lol yeah me too. I think I'm just going to leave mine at home when I move so I don't have the urge.
Lol yeah me too. I think I'm just going to leave mine at home when I move so I don't have the urge.
Coffee? thats for wimps... If you want to really wake up everytime, go with cocaine.
not srs.
Coffee? thats for wimps... If you want to really wake up everytime, go with cocaine.
not srs.
Wake up? If you're doing it right you don't fall asleep in the first place.
Coffee? thats for wimps... If you want to really wake up everytime, go with cocaine.
not srs.
I lol'ed
Good mattress
Good chair/desk
Good headphones/computer
Good coffeemaker
Those are the things you'll use daily
Good chair/desk
Good headphones/computer
Good coffeemaker
Those are the things you'll use daily
Coffee? thats for wimps... If you want to really wake up everytime, go with cocaine.
not srs.
Is that the stuff they use to treat nosebleeds in the ER? Sounds like a hell of a drug.
Coffee? thats for wimps... If you want to really wake up everytime, go with cocaine.
not srs.
Hey, at least it keeps you awake AND sheds off extra pounds!
A coffee maker is a good investment, better than blowing money at Starbucks every day. Also, a crockpot.
I hear med school professors love it when you show up in their office during first week orientation asking to do research with them.
I went up and asked a professor during a second look if I could do research with him. It's summer time and I am now working in his lab lol.
Hey, at least it keeps you awake AND sheds off extra pounds!
A coffee maker is a good investment, better than blowing money at Starbucks every day. Also, a crockpot.
Lol if you think Starbucks is expensive, wait till you see what Victoria's Secret charges per cup.
Lol if you think Starbucks is expensive, wait till you see what Victoria's Secret charges per cup.
I made it through UG without becoming dependent on coffee, but I'm not so sure about med school - going to play by ear..
![]()
I made it through UG without becoming dependent on coffee, but I'm not so sure about med school - going to play by ear..
👍
I bet I pissed off all the girls on SDN who shop there...🙄
I've got dozens of VS jokes that I can tell you guys... if one of you makes a joke thread.
I didnt drink coffee until last year... honestly I dont see the hype.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You right.
Netter's, subscriptions to Firecracker and Pathoma and you're set.
did you use firecracker first year? Its expensive but if their claims of improved retention of high yield material are true I guess its worth it.
If you have a smartphone, just download the Alarm clock Xtreme free app. There is an option to make it so you have to solve complex math problems before you can turn the alarm off. I couple that with putting it across the room when I go to bed. I never oversleep. 👍
evil
love it
did you use firecracker first year? Its expensive but if their claims of improved retention of high yield material are true I guess its worth it.
I didn't, but wish I would have.
👍
I bet I pissed off all the girls on SDN who shop there...🙄
I've got dozens of VS jokes that I can tell you guys... if one of you makes a joke thread.
I didnt drink coffee until last year... honestly I dont see the hype.
Eh I don't shop there but I know their prices and your comment pretty much hit the mark (I lol'd at it, actually). That said, there are plenty of pieces of expensive clothing (with far less use) that a person could mock way worse--c'mon, face value for many sports jerseys is 100+ dollars usually and you don't wear them a quarter as much nor are they as durable.
...I can't believe I'm arguing about this. I swear being one of the few token females on this board makes me feel the need to chime in whenever comments drift to gender differences/relations.
I have a keurig and I love it; I suck at making coffee but it's definitely needed to keep me going on 4-5hrs of sleep until I can nap (which happened a lot senior year). Definitely will bring my keurig with me to med school.
Also:
-highlighters (altho with my new ipad mini idk how many physical textbooks I will buy)
-white boards
-calendar/planner
-some light novels to keep me sane
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 527