Things to do before medical school starts?

Started by unsung
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm someone who was in a post-bacc programs, so I'm older and I've been working and saving money for several years. Thanks to my job, I have a ton of frequent flyer miles (about 250,000) spread between two airlines so that has made my airfares free (except for the taxes part). As for accommodations, I've done a lot of international traveling so I can scout out pretty cheap but nice accommodations. I'll primarily be staying in hostels for $10-15/night. However, in certain countries in which I have traveled before I have made good friends with locals so they are letting me stay at their house. As for food, most hostels have kitchens, so I'll go to the local markets, test my bartering skills, and buy things I can cook to save money.

There will be nights or days when I splurge and stay at a nice hotel or go to a fancy restaurant so that will add to the cost, but there will also be many nights when I am in Asia that I will sleep on the train. Choosing overnight routes that let you sleep on the train is one of the best ways to save on accommodation/food costs. Almost all Asian trains that have "soft sleeper" cabins have hot water spouts, so I can bring ramen noodles and eat those for dirt cheap when I can't buy food from street vendors. Just make sure if you buy from street vendors that you watch them cook it so you know its fresh. Overall, I've come to realize that seeing the sites, meeting unique people along the way, and interacting with the local population (even if you dont speak the language), is much more important than doing "it up in style" wherever you go. If you want any advice on doing it on a "backpackers budget", feel free to send me a pm.

Awesome I think I'm going to do some more research on that trans-siberian route. I've always wanted to have that exp. Which one do you think you'll do? Or are you planning on winging it when you get there? The trans-manchurian sounds awesome 'cuz it goes through mongolia and also through harbin, china, ending up in beijing where i've got family.
 
pssshhh...just do it. I want to, but I don't have the money right now 🙁

Oh I definitely will. And the cost is kind of prohibitive, especially considering the amount of time it takes, which reminds me...

You ever hear how skydiving is like having a prostitute?

Both cost a lot of money. Both don't take that long. And with both, if the rubber breaks, you're dead.
 
Awesome I think I'm going to do some more research on that trans-siberian route. I've always wanted to have that exp. Which one do you think you'll do? Or are you planning on winging it when you get there? The trans-manchurian sounds awesome 'cuz it goes through mongolia and also through harbin, china, ending up in beijing where i've got family.

It might be different in Asia but at least for trains in Europe most overnights actually cost more money, to account for the fact that you are sleeping on it. They are still maybe a little cheaper than a hotel, but not really. I took an overnight from Nice to Rome and it was surprisingly expensive just for a seat in a normal train car.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One thing I must recommend: Don't just "Do nothing", or "take a long vacation". It sounds silly, but your social skills always need to be in use. I had a long winter vacation where I couldn't find work, and when I went back to school I was a social idiot. I was nervous about stupid things, I was worried about negligable things, etc. So... Do something.
 
One thing I must recommend: Don't just "Do nothing", or "take a long vacation". It sounds silly, but your social skills always need to be in use. I had a long winter vacation where I couldn't find work, and when I went back to school I was a social idiot. I was nervous about stupid things, I was worried about negligable things, etc. So... Do something.

:laugh: what do you mean. you don't need to practise social skills. didn't you hang out with friends or soemthing. not working has nothing to do with social skills actually it might enhance them cos you are going out and meeting people all the time.
 
:laugh: what do you mean. you don't need to practise social skills. didn't you hang out with friends or soemthing. not working has nothing to do with social skills actually it might enhance them cos you are going out and meeting people all the time.


To answer this question: I live in Maine. My friends are of a very limited amount.
 
To answer this question: I live in Maine. My friends are of a very limited amount.

🙁 i'm sorry. but i think the people who are looking to take a long holiday at least me are planning to make friends and meet people along the way.
 
Awesome I think I'm going to do some more research on that trans-siberian route. I've always wanted to have that exp. Which one do you think you'll do? Or are you planning on winging it when you get there? The trans-manchurian sounds awesome 'cuz it goes through mongolia and also through harbin, china, ending up in beijing where i've got family.

Some of the train trips will have to be planned, especially in China since buying tickets there can be a real headache as a foreigner. The computer system isn't terribly centralized (even though they say it is), so buying tickets in some of the high density areas can be painful since you may want to jump on a train that day, but you have to wait several days because there are no open seats. For example, the Guilin train station is a nightmare, so it may take you a day or two to get tickets to where you want to go.

As of right now, I'm planning on taking the trans-Mongolian train, but that may change.
 
To answer this question: I live in Maine. My friends are of a very limited amount.

I don't think this is necessarily impacted by the place you live in. Plenty of people who live in smaller towns/cities/states have a lot of friends. The opposite is true as well. Plenty of people who live in urban metropolises (metropoli?) have a limited number of friends.

I too thought it was odd that you think people going on vacation need to practice their social skills.
 
I don't think this is necessarily impacted by the place you live in. Plenty of people who live in smaller towns/cities/states have a lot of friends. The opposite is true as well. Plenty of people who live in urban metropolises (metropoli?) have a limited number of friends.

I too thought it was odd that you think people going on vacation need to practice their social skills.

i agree
 
I don't think this is necessarily impacted by the place you live in. Plenty of people who live in smaller towns/cities/states have a lot of friends. The opposite is true as well. Plenty of people who live in urban metropolises (metropoli?) have a limited number of friends.

I too thought it was odd that you think people going on vacation need to practice their social skills.

I agree... I'm from a small town, and it seems we have more friends than people who are from big cities because it's easier to meet people... plus, everyone knows everyone, since there aren't really a lot of people...
 
I agree... I'm from a small town, and it seems we have more friends than people who are from big cities because it's easier to meet people... plus, everyone knows everyone, since there aren't really a lot of people...


Or be from Minnesota. Ever heard of Minnesota nice? We're good people. We'll even talk to you if we don't know you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I only have two goals:

1. Have sex with as many girls as possible.
2. Do not contract the herp.
I always thought you were a girl. I mean there is nothing wrong with being a lesbian but I had to do a doubletake. :laugh:

ETA: Okay so I just read your profile and you are a guy.
 
It's probably best to hang out and consider it as time to do whatever you want to do that you didn't already. For some, the first few months of med school will be tough, for other, just an extension of college. Just realize that as you progress in your career, you'll have less time to "hang out".
 
I will be social but am taking a vacation- I am going on a family cruise, then planning on hanging with friends and the kids I currently nanny for before moving across the country to start school (and visit more friends/family since I used to live where I am going)...

I considered doing a Medical Spanish Immersion program but I think getting the private loans would be difficult and most likely not worth it
 
Or be from Minnesota. Ever heard of Minnesota nice? We're good people. We'll even talk to you if we don't know you.

Lol, I've always just kind of assumed people everywhere are as nice as they are here, but all of my friends from other states comment on how nice Minnesotans are.

Are people from other states just giant a**holes or are we just excessively nice?
 
doing absolutely nothing for as long as possible

and then...if im feeling up to it, southeast asia ftw

for those looking to travel cheap (and/or alone), couch surf (couchsurfing.com) for free lodging and a great way to meet awesome people
 
Lol, I've always just kind of assumed people everywhere are as nice as they are here, but all of my friends from other states comment on how nice Minnesotans are.

Are people from other states just giant a**holes or are we just excessively nice?

I haven't been enough places to know for sure, but I feel like it's more the latter.
 
Going to costa rica for spring break and then 2 months in south america this summer. Argentina, chile, bolivia, peru, maybe pop into paraguay and/or uruguay.

Flights = Free due to frequent flyer miles

Hotels = 180 days * $20/night (more expensive cost allows for more cheap nights at hotels and some nights at nicer hotels) = $3600

Food = 6 months * $250/month (since cooking can save money, and I love going to the markets and eating from street vendors, $250 should be plenty)
= $1500

Transportation (Buses/Trains) = $1500-2000

Incidentals = $2000 (Might not necessarily spend this, buy I'm bringing it in case I find some things I want to buy to remember the trip)

Gifts = $100-150 (these are for the families that I will be staying with)

Sounds like an awesome trip, you're lucky the dollar's strengthened a bit since last year this time. 2 months in europe last summer really stretched my budget with the exchange rate and such (well, and the occasional splurge like skydiving in the alps).

I think your budget's pretty good, but I'm fairly sure you're going to use up that incidental money as well =). Best of luck on the travels and try not to get scammed too hard in Russia 😉
 
-finishing up some extra undergrad classes, i graduated in May of 08
-working full time this summer running the city's recreational youth baseball/softball program
-slow pitch softball with a cold beverage in hand every friday night
-golfing every weekend
-taking a few trips of tubing (floating w/ groups of 20+ inner tubes and cooler tubes tied together) and tanking (floating w/ a cooler, lawn chairs and friends in an empty cow tank) down local nebraska rivers with more said cold beverages
-spending as much time as possible w/ family and friends before I immerse myself in a textbook
 
but I would like to go to Israel with my friend if I can get into Birthright


LOL...I'm always amazed that any sane person can say something like "birth-right" without realizing how unbelievably ridiculous they are.

Sorry for this completely unnecessary and off-topic comment, but I couldn't help myself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I followed this thread as everyone was sharing their plans, but I hadn't gotten any acceptances yet. But now that I got one, I'm reviving the conversation.

For my final semester as an undergrad:
1.) Get decent grades. I want to graduate with at least a 3.65.
2.) Tutor pre-meds on the MCAT.
3.) Train for and complete a triathlon.
4.) Make a little bit of cash by umping intramural softball.
5.) Complete my "bucket list" with my roommate (going to all the bars on campus, doing some sight-seeing around central Illinois, visiting nearby haunted locations, and other fun stuff).

For the summer:
1.) Work at the golf course where I was last summer (it's relaxing and I get to play all the free golf I want). On a similar note, I want to bring my handicap down somewhere around 12.
2.) Volunteer at my neighborhood hospital again.
3.) Read some books that I've been putting off for the last few years.
4.) Go sky-diving.
5.) Do my best to not worry about the craziness that is medical school.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money to do the traveling I would like, but I think the things I have planned should make for a pretty good time. Also, a good amount of CMS students go on medical mission trips during their summers, so I'm counting on that for my world travel hopes.
 
Last edited:
Im a little late in joining this convo, but I figured I would throw out my plans. I'm a post-bac that has been accepted so I'm free to get a early start, so next week I leave for central america. I'll spend 5 weeks between Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica using buses as my main method of transportation. Then from Costa Rica, I will fly to Ecuador where I will begin another 1.5 months exploring Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile and a small part of Argentina. I will try to use trains for intra-country travel and buses for inter-country travel. Unfortunately, the trains in SA leave something to be desired. From there, I will be spending 2-3 months in Asia. I will be flying to Bangkok (Thailand) and I will take the train through Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam, and finally cross into China via the Hanoi/Beijing international train. I plan to stop regularly along all the rails at points of interest. Then the final doozie is the reverse trans-siberian train from Beijing through Mongolia and Siberia with a final destination of Moscow. I'll then flly back to the east coast from Moscow ending a good 5-6 months of solo-traveling, relfecting on life, making new friends along the way, and capturing a lifetime of stories and experiences to keep me happy during the next four long years of medical school. Hopefully, I meet a bunch of people along the way with whom I can share parts of the journey. If my last solo journey was any indication of how this one will be, I'll most certainly be a very different person when I return.

😱that may be the coolest thing I have ever heard, no joke.
-Roy

Edit: if you are going to be keeping a blog or something about your trip I will totally read it.
 
Last edited:
Some of the train trips will have to be planned, especially in China since buying tickets there can be a real headache as a foreigner. The computer system isn't terribly centralized (even though they say it is), so buying tickets in some of the high density areas can be painful since you may want to jump on a train that day, but you have to wait several days because there are no open seats. For example, the Guilin train station is a nightmare, so it may take you a day or two to get tickets to where you want to go.

As of right now, I'm planning on taking the trans-Mongolian train, but that may change.

Sounds sweet! I like your style. I'm also trying to go to Bolivia this summer. Have you gotten a visa yet? It's no easy task, I must say.

On a separate note, last summer I spent 3 months in China alone and learned to navigate the train stations by writing all the info for my trip down on a paper in chinese characters (ie soft/hard seat or sleeper, day, time, destination, train type), then I gave it to the ticket booth one day before desired departure and just agreed to anything they ask until they gave me a ticket. I was flexible and always almost landed something within a few hours of what I wanted. I agree though that its hectic and best avoided. But the area outside Gulilin was possibly the most beautiful landscape I've ever seen.

And the trans-siberian seems awesome. Enjoy your trip and I second the blog idea!
 
...I will fly to Ecuador where I will begin another 1.5 months exploring Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile and a small part of Argentina. I will try to use trains for intra-country travel and buses for inter-country travel. Unfortunately, the trains in SA leave something to be desired. ...

PS- With the exception of the tourist trains like the ones going to/from Machu Picchu or Salar de Uyuni, I would advise against using most trains in South America. The better options are bus/cama or bus/semi-cama on a direct route without stops--just for more comfort make sure seats are reclinable, there are no stops to pick up passengers en route, there's heating, and you don't do trips longer than, say, 14 hours and you should be good.
 
LOL...I'm always amazed that any sane person can say something like "birth-right" without realizing how unbelievably ridiculous they are.

Sorry for this completely unnecessary and off-topic comment, but I couldn't help myself.

I wasn't aware that my referring to an organization by its name (which I didn't choose) made me sound ridiculous...
 
Or be from Minnesota. Ever heard of Minnesota nice? We're good people. We'll even talk to you if we don't know you.


Hah, ever heard of minnesota nice. I'm from Chicago, went to Penn State, where i had 4 friends and a professor from Minneapolis. Minnesotan's are the nicest people in the country that i have met. you guys are awesome, and I will forever hold that opinion of you.
 
I've been doing research in Germany and traveling around Europe for the past 1.5 years. My project will end in June and I'm thinking of going to Northern India (Delhi, Leh, Ladakh, Rajasthan) for the month of July before heading back to the US... would anyone like to join??
 
I'm also trying to go to Bolivia this summer.

Nice plan! I spent a summer in a medical volunteer program in La Paz and may be able to re-find some pretty cool contacts if you are interested in getting involved. In particular, there is a community ("Alalay") established for street children about an hour from La Paz in the mountains. Lots of travelers pass by and end up staying for a bit to get involved with the kids from everything from medical care to sewing and computers. Also, Salar de Uyuni is increeeedible! And you should definitely bike ride on the "most dangerous road" from La Paz to Coroico.

All the best!
 
Looks like there's lots of world travelers! I am currently working in Uganda, and won't quit my job til the end of July because I absolutely love it! Sometime between now and July, I'm going to use up my two weeks of saved up vacation time and do some sort East African Coast holiday (Mombasa, Zanzibar, Dar Es Salaam), although I've already been to all those places so maybe I'll decide on another African adventure (Ethiopia, perhaps?).

I'll spend the first week of August hanging out with my friends in Uganda and saying bye, then my husband and I are hitting up Dubai for 4 days on the way back, then I arrive back in the US exactly one week before orientation starts!

In the meantime, I'll be doing some **inspired reading**. I just ordered a bunch of medicine-related popular books off amazon (How Doctors Think, Complications, House of God, etc.). I'll also be sure to do some totally un-inspired reading (not medical related at all), and watch a bunch of movies and all those other little things I anticipate giving up once in med school.
 
I have a list of things that I want to do, but realistically I will only be able to do a couple of them.

* I would like to take my mom to the Philippines. She was born and raised in the Philippines, and has not been there since she left for the US when she was 21!! She has always said she wanted to take me and my sisters there... I want to make it happen.
* I would like to learn to fly. I had started taken flying lessons years ago, but I never got very far. My friend's dad is starting to teach lessons, so I might have an opportunity to have inexpensive flying time.
* I need to get into shape!
* I would like to visit Seattle.
* I would like to gain some research experience. I was a non-science major... so I don't even know where/how to start on that goal.
* I have a huge list of books that I would like to read.
* I want to learn to play a musical instrument.
* I need to make money!! I am already in credit card debt, and the things on this list are expensive.
 
LOL...I'm always amazed that any sane person can say something like "birth-right" without realizing how unbelievably ridiculous they are.

Sorry for this completely unnecessary and off-topic comment, but I couldn't help myself.

I'm always amazed when people comment on how amazed they are at something that they obviously know nothing about.

http://www.birthrightisrael.com/

Do some research next time, so you don't sound like an idiot.
 
Take a road trip!

I've never been west of St. Louis

Hitting up: Chicago, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Hoover Dam / Vegas, LA, Tucson, Austin, New Orleans

Anyone done of these? And what advice do you have...?
 
I think traveling and living somewhere completely different and strange to you opens up your personal world and horizons like nothing else. So does studying something completely foreign to you (in a non-pressure environment!). That's what I've been doing 🙂

Live4Life:
wow, your journey sounds incredible! All the best! I live in Asia right now, but probably won't be around when you make it here, or I'd love to host you in the city I live in. I think you pretty much have it all down so there is little I could offer you in tips/advice! I hope you have an amazing time.

I've been reading a tremendous amount too, a lot and lot of fiction and also some med-related books. I heartily support the Gawande recommendation. He is an amazing surgeon and writer. Read both his books and his articles. I love Mary Roach: I recommend Stiff, Bonk and Spook, they are freaking amazing and you will learn a lot too. Also, 'First Do No Harm' was good, so was How Doctors Think, and On Doctoring was pretty great too. Also, of course, anything by Oliver Sacks.

I think everyone should read this book: The Brain that Changes Itself, by Norman Doidge. Regardless of if you're interested in neurology/neuroscience/psych, it is an amazing book and will blow your mind. It presents information that completely reshapes the way we view human ability and human brains, and it demonstrates the strength of positive thinking and positive reinforcement. You will find yourself just awed by how we have advanced we have gotten in our knowledge about ourselves, and just the amazing new scientists/doctors/therapies out there. Must read.
 
Things to do before going to school:

1. Play as much music as possible, work as little as possible.
2. Record my first album
3. Play my first real gig
4. Improve my voice/playing
5. Watch music documentaries and read books about my favorite artists.

About a week ago I moved to this lake house in upstate NY and turned it into a studio. I have the whole place to myself to record. 😀

You can check out the first recording here:

http://www.myspace.com/thomascharles
 
Last edited:
I have to have health insurance for my school. What are some affordable insurance for the Kentucky area, more speciically Pikeville.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm out of school so I'm just working. I plan to quit late May/early June and travel a bit before school starts, but that's dependent on what school I choose.

As far as books, there's one where the author reflects on anatomy lab, but I can't think of the name right now - I'll get back to you 🙂

I believe you're talking about Christine Montross's Body of Work.

As far as what I'm going to do:

Forget about trying to get ahead before starting med school...from what I read it doesn't work.

Forget about trying to lower my golf handicap....in the unlikely event that this happens, I will inevitably not be able to keep up w/ it during med school.

Travel at will, eat as I please, sleep as often as I'd like, and totally escape real life until MS1 starts (June 1 for us FSU folks).
 
When I started to read this thread, I thought med students were talking. Nice job updating your status, 5 months before you become a med student 🙂
 
traveling in asia for 2 months 🙂

Lol - Are you me?

I'm traveling around Asia, reading a lot, watching Futurama, and thinking of taking voice lessons because I want to sing in my future med-school's a cappella group.... and taking biochem 😛
 
Sleep.

Then more sleep.

Then hanging out with friends.

Then sleep again.

😛

In all seriousness, I probably will read, hang out with friends, and take a mini-road trip.