Things to know when applying for EMT-B jobs

Started by ls30mv
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ls30mv

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, everyone

I am a recent college graduate with an EMT-B certificate. I am from California and job hunting right now. It seems that many EMS agencies in the area don't hire more often than twice a year. I also don't know what to put down on my application when I submit it. Most of my experience is a volunteer experience at local hospitals, ER, post-op unit and stuff. I really want to get hired, but I feel like I may not have a good chance since I have no actual work experience and I am a female. Any advise on how to approach it, or networking and knowing someone who works for the agency is pretty much the only way to get hired? appreciate any advice.
 
The Californians that I have talked to, say the EMS job market is fairly hard to break into right now, but I'm sure it varies from area to area within the state. You can always move to Texas.😛

1. Target your desired agency and ask them what they are looking for among potential employees.

2. Is it volunteer/pay?

3. While you may not have EMS experience, you do have health-care experience and you need to present it as such, even though it is as a volunteer.

4. Agencies know that everyone has to start from somewhere, and some will even prefer to hire new EMTs, so they can train you according to "their" standards.

5. Try the agency that you did your ride-outs with. You already have some familiarity with the system and hopefully a good rapport with the staff.

6. Oh and being female may actually help especially for the fire based ems services.