things to think about/ask on interviews for jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamesearlejones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I'm at the point where I'm going to be applying for jobs in the near future, when I complete my Adult residency. For those of you at the attending level or in a similar position to me, what are important things to find out when you're on an interview? Specifically I'll probably be interviewing for some academic type positions--anything in particular I should be inquiring about? This is so different from med school and residency interviews because SDN helped me prepare for those, whereas now I feel a bit on my own. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

As an attending, you're in a much better position. Think of it as one end of the spectrum, a the high school all-star that the colleges want to recruit, minus the aspect of women, drugs, SUVs, and luxury apartments under the table (before any of you get upset, yeah like this doesn't happen in college sports, don't kid yourselves) vs. where you were when you were trying to get into medschool, and having an interviewer knowing you'd do anything to get and and tweaking his ego by throwing in some conndescending comments at you while you had to sit there and take it.

As an attending, you're much closer to the high school star athlete, but don't ever let it get to your head, even if the place would bend over backwards for you. Just how much closer, I can't tell you because it'll depend on the institution, the local demand for a psychiatrist, and your own ability as a medical doctor.

Several places, I've noticed, may try to exploit that you are a new attending who is still green in terms of job offers. For that reason, compare call schedules, pay, loan repayment, no-compete clauses, among several other things well.

Some things I've seen places do to the new attending is putting them on the worst unit in the hospital because the doctors who been there know it's the worst, but you don't. Other things: worse call schedules, somewhat lower pay, the worst patients that the other doctors don't want, etc.

Some of it is just traditional hazing, and in fairness to employers, both you and them need time to figure out how you will stand in their establishment. As for having a few of the tougher things, IMHO, that's just part of the training, but once you get what you need out of it, and figure the place out, get out of a position that is not favorable.

Do good work, and don't slack off. Not just because of your employment prospects but because it's the right thing to do for your patients. Doing so will set a good local rep for you. Once the word spreads (and help it spread by actively networking and checking up all the job opportunities in the area), and you've established yourself as a good doctor, now you got him/her by the balls. Now you know all the opportunities, know you can leave for better prospects, and let the employer know this.

I've had a conversation or two with all of my employers, letting them know I can leave at any moment but then tempering the comment with something to keep things friendly and diplomatic such as "but for now I do like working here." I've occasionally had an employer look at me with some fear in their eyes, but a smile on their face when this happens, letting me know that I got some cred when it'll come to bargaining for pay and hospital rights (e.g. the better units, the better team members to ask to work with me, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your thoughtful reply, Whopper. It gave me some good things to consider as I start going on interviews.