Things we do when we're nervous.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolferman

Member?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if people could share interesting/embarrassing things they do when they are nervous. Personally, I start yawning like crazy. At first, it allows me the ability to seem calm and at worse, bored. But after the 10th time I yawn, I start looking a little silly. I was just wondering if any of you had some strange nervous behaviors as well.

Members don't see this ad.

haha..reading the above post made ME yawn!

hahaha-I thought I was the only one.
Wolfer, I also tend to Yawn a lot when I'm nervous--try some chewing gum next time, that always does the trick for me.

biffer

Members don't see this ad :)
nerves aren't really a big issue for me, but if I do become nervous sometimes I become incoherent and can't enunciate properly :) . I make weird connections as it is, I sometimes make completely random connections that make perfect sense to me but no one else. fortunately, most people tend to think it's rather funny. The not-being able to speak properly is the annoying one though. I also tend to lose my train of thought really easily (like some kinda verbal ADD), which makes me ramble because I'm trying to complete a thought that's already passed. Also very annoying :)

Yawning? That's a good one. I turn bright red. Very embarrassing. :mad: :D

I just talk to much..and ramble on...

I've been known to crack my knuckles when I'm antsy. Bugs the daylights out of some people.

Another babbler here. I'm obviously not nervous right now though. :)

When I'm nervous, I master....uh, bite my fingernails. Yeah, that's it.

During my one and only interview, I didn't feel nervous, but when I started talking, my mouth got really dry and I lost my train of thought.

I bite my lip. If I'm supernervous you can tell because when I start talking, my voice is so obviously shaking. I HATE THAT!!! (it usually only happens though when I'm talking in front of a class) :rolleyes:

My nerves don't really get to me, but if it's something important (seminar, quals, interview, etc) my mouth dries up and I start talking reeeeally fast.

With respect to one on one interviews, I'm usually pretty cool. But with a panal of three or four.....forget about it!! I first start having difficulty figuring out who to look at. Then it progresses to overfocusing on how I'm sounding while I'm speaking, and as a final blow, I lose my entire train of thought. Not a pretty sight.

I strap myself into a straight jacket and go into my room with padded walls and jump around for a while.