Things you hate about Hospital Pharmacy

Started by Sparda29
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hate how some people in the department think the refrigerator is a ****ing community share.

I brought in a huge jar of peanut butter since I like dipping apples in there and putting it on Asian pears and mixing it into my oatmeal. I put a huge sign on the peanut butter, "NOT FOR SHARING, BELONGS TO SPARDA". I never opened the jar since I forgot I put it there. 3 weeks later, I find the jar and it's like half empty already. What the flying **** is wrong with people.
 
I hate how some people in the department think the refrigerator is a ****ing community share.

I brought in a huge jar of peanut butter since I like dipping apples in there and putting it on Asian pears and mixing it into my oatmeal. I put a huge sign on the peanut butter, "NOT FOR SHARING, BELONGS TO SPARDA". I never opened the jar since I forgot I put it there. 3 weeks later, I find the jar and it's like half empty already. What the flying **** is wrong with people.

This thread should be titled "what you hate about your work place" because this happens everywhere. Lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hate how some people in the department think the refrigerator is a ****ing community share.

I brought in a huge jar of peanut butter since I like dipping apples in there and putting it on Asian pears and mixing it into my oatmeal. I put a huge sign on the peanut butter, "NOT FOR SHARING, BELONGS TO SPARDA". I never opened the jar since I forgot I put it there. 3 weeks later, I find the jar and it's like half empty already. What the flying **** is wrong with people.

because everything is more delish when it's free. :laugh:
 
I don't think having your food stolen is exclusive to hospital pharmacy, because I work as a tech for a large pbm, and I have gotten my food stolen 3 times! First time, it was Mexican food, then Chinese food, and the third time was a freaken Izzi drink! 😡 I think some people just can't control themselves... :laugh:
 
I wonder if people would still steal if they knew I double dip the **** out of that peanut butter and nutella.

Put that under your name on the label next time. " I double dipped the **** out of this PB"
 
I wonder if people would still steal if they knew I double dip the **** out of that peanut butter and nutella.

Yes, they would... My Chinese food was half eaten with a fork in it!! Unbelievable! 😱

Best bet is to drizzle some organophosphates in the food and see who comes down with neurological symptoms. :meanie:
 
You wouldn't know when they're sitting on the john, and I wouldn't want to follow them either 😆

All kidding aside, people will always be like that. I now bring my food in an ice pack and keep it on my desk where I can see it at all times. Much harder to steal. 🙂
 
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1380846605.604246.jpg

This was a big problem at my work for awhile.

Someone straight up ate my leftovers.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At my last job the fridge was always overcrowded so I would constantly chuck things in the garbage and people always complained someone was eating their food... And I would ALWAYS chuck chinese food leftovers, that stuff smells disgusting even when it's fresh.
 
Someone stole my half eaten pork chop out of the fridge at work. I would have thought it got tossed, but my plastic Tupperware container with biscuit was left behind. I figured they probably needed it more than I did.....


I wonder if people would still steal if they knew I double dip the **** out of that peanut butter and nutella.
 
Another thing I can't stand. Our EMR system is designed for the entire health system. The approved drugs that are on it, are not necessarily what are on formulary at our hospital. Another hospital in the system may have it, but we don't.

Doc comes in and enters the drug without the system stopping him. Then I call him to let him know we don't carry that drug at this hospital, and of course I get the angry "why the hell is it on the computer then?"
 
Someone stole my half eaten pork chop out of the fridge at work. I would have thought it got tossed, but my plastic Tupperware container with biscuit was left behind. I figured they probably needed it more than I did.....

My thoughts exactly! I found my empty Panda Express styrofoam container in the nearby trashbin complete with the plastic fork. It's pretty obvious someone was craving for some Panda. :laugh: Oh well... At least it didn't go to waste.
 
Another thing I can't stand. Our EMR system is designed for the entire health system. The approved drugs that are on it, are not necessarily what are on formulary at our hospital. Another hospital in the system may have it, but we don't.

Doc comes in and enters the drug without the system stopping him. Then I call him to let him know we don't carry that drug at this hospital, and of course I get the angry "why the hell is it on the computer then?"

Again, your institution could greatly benefit from quality improvement and process management.
 
I hate how some directors are very touchy about the way things are done, or are jealous of other directors. Every time I bring up something to the director of the hospital where I work full-time that I saw being done at the hospital where I work per-diem, which I saw was being done in a more efficient/better way, he throws a hissy fit.

Me - "You know at the other hospital they open up all the premixed IV bags out of the wrapper and give them expiration dates?"
Him - "That's not how we're gonna do it here."

Me - "Did you know I can order labs at that hospital without any oversight or doctor's approval?"
Him - "That's not how we're gonna do it here and that's dangerous, blah, blah, blah."

Me - "They allow me to work outside the pharmacy over there and verify orders from the floors and talk to patients, etc, etc."
Him - "Yeah so no one is watching you and you guys can go on Facebook on your phone and play video games on your phone and flirt with nurses, etc, etc. I went to school with that director, she's an idiot, etc, etc."
 
Looool


QUOTE=Sparda29;14523430]Nah, I love that I never have to deal with insurance. The only time I handle money is when we pool together for the Powerball/Megamillions lottery or the football pool. Don't have to ring up anything.[/QUOTE]
 
Looool


QUOTE=Sparda29;14523430]Nah, I love that I never have to deal with insurance. The only time I handle money is when we pool together for the Powerball/Megamillions lottery or the football pool. Don't have to ring up anything.
[/QUOTE]

just out of curiosity, how is burger king pharmacy? dats kind of thing ive never heard of... but not too bad idea.
 

just out of curiosity, how is burger king pharmacy? dats kind of thing ive never heard of... but not too bad idea.[/QUOTE]

Hahah retail equals burger king.... Drive thru, ready when u want it, rxs ur way,.... Tryin to get in hosp
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Something I found out today. If you're working as a full-time pharmacist at one hospital within a health system, it is very unlikely that you will be hired to another hospital within the health system since the directors feel that they'd be stealing you from the other director and pretty much screwing the other director over.
 
How do you go from being a new staff pharmacist to the director of pharmacy at a hospital?

Experience and credentials.

Typically at least 5-7 years experience and learning management on the job. And/or additional credentials such as residency, MPH, MBA.
 
Experience and credentials.

Typically at least 5-7 years experience and learning management on the job. And/or additional credentials such as residency, MPH, MBA.

It seems like it's just not possible at my hospital. The hierarchy is Director --> Clinical Pharmacist --> Staff Pharmacists. There are people here who have been working at this hospital as staff pharmacists since the early 1980s without any promotions.

Only likely scenario to get to director from a new staff pharmacist would be working for 3-5 years as a staff pharmacist, getting a MBA, and finding an assistant director position somewhere and from there going for DOP.

I interned at this short-term rehab/long-term nursing home place and the DOP apparently quit shortly after I graduated. The pharmacists there were telling me to apply for the DOP job, lmao. I guess they wanted me since I'd be the chillest boss ever.

I did apply and the funny thing was that I actually got an interview for it. A 25 year old DOP with no experience as a pharmacist, lmao that would have been awesome.
 
It seems like it's just not possible at my hospital. The hierarchy is Director --> Clinical Pharmacist --> Staff Pharmacists. There are people here who have been working at this hospital as staff pharmacists since the early 1980s without any promotions.

Only likely scenario to get to director from a new staff pharmacist would be working for 3-5 years as a staff pharmacist, getting a MBA, and finding an assistant director position somewhere and from there going for DOP.

I interned at this short-term rehab/long-term nursing home place and the DOP apparently quit shortly after I graduated. The pharmacists there were telling me to apply for the DOP job, lmao. I guess they wanted me since I'd be the chillest boss ever.

I did apply and the funny thing was that I actually got an interview for it. A 25 year old DOP with no experience as a pharmacist, lmao that would have been awesome.

You never fail to amaze
 
Worse thing about hospitals is the gossipy politicking. So much gossip and back-stabbing. Worse at some hospitals and in some departments, than others, but I haven't seen a hospital yet that was full of gossip. There is some at retail....retail is generally busier, with few if any breaks, and not as many employees to be gossiping & taking sides with and against.
 
Seriously, why is that in hospital? Is it the stress, the egos, people worried about the weakest link and attacking others to get heat off of them? You'd think a handful of people would learn to cooperate.
 
Worse thing about hospitals is the gossipy politicking. So much gossip and back-stabbing. Worse at some hospitals and in some departments, than others, but I haven't seen a hospital yet that was full of gossip. There is some at retail....retail is generally busier, with few if any breaks, and not as many employees to be gossiping & taking sides with and against.

That's one major reason I never want a hospital job. I rather deal with crazy customers and cooperate BS than deal with hospital gossip, back-stabbing, and politics. Saw it first hand during rotations and it wasn't pretty.
 
Seriously, why is that in hospital? Is it the stress, the egos, people worried about the weakest link and attacking others to get heat off of them? You'd think a handful of people would learn to cooperate.

Part of it is the time thing, like Bidingmytime mentioned above. More extra free time than in retail = more time for gossip and drama. Plus there are a lot of women working in hospitals.