Things you would do differently if you were to apply again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentistry's lover

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feel free to share your unique tips and experiences here..!

I think a generic answer like " I wish I had a better GPA and higher score on DAT" would be USELESS.
What I am really looking for you guys to bring to the table are specific details that you did not notice until the apps were submitted.

I remember someone had mentioned that his/ her transcript was not reflecting that his/her bachelor degree was awarded and it took a toll on the dental application process timewise. The member suggested that it is a good idea to order a copy of official transcript for yourself just to double check everything.

I believe knowing such neat details is valuable to any dental applicant.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

describe pubs/presentations independently from description of research (as a separate item). the way I did it probably made them almost imperceptible on my app.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to about 6-8 schools instead of 13. Spend wisely!
Do you suggest this to applicants who have Low stats such as: DAT/ GPA/ or ECs? Totally understand the financial part of the story and your point, but doesn't applying to more schools increase the chances for everybody and avoid reapplying during the next cycle?

Last edited:
More ECs, more volunteering/community service, revise personal statement; prepare for interviews. I only prepared for my last interview 'cause I thought "just be yourself" meant no need to prepare smh.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to about 6-8 schools instead of 13. Spend wisely!
I agree with Steve. I wish I only applied to 8 schools as well. I flew to Iowa and Minnesota, albeit it was a fun time it wasn't worth the extra $1,000 for air fare, Airbnb, food, and application fees. Choose wisely!

My stats were 3.9 GPA and 22 AA.

Reactions: 6 users
Know that your top choice will probably change at least 20 times in the process

I wish that I had known how much power I had when I was accepted.

If you are accepted on December 1, they want you, and they want you to say yes. Yield protection becomes the name of the game.

I wish I had asked for scholarships and leveraged my other offers.

Now I kinda wish I had said this earlier so people this cycle could have benefited.

Definitely apply early as previously said. However, I wish I didn't waste my time with that dang Fee Assistance Program (FAP). Apparently, even if you are independent and married under 25 they STILL include your parents income and combine it with your own. So, because they did that (even though legally I'm independent of my parents according to the IRS), I did not qualify for the FAP money. This ultimately delayed my app and greatly frustrated me. All in all, quite an annoying guideline if you ask me. I would like to write a letter to get that specific guideline removed or revised if I have the time.

The point? Make absolutely sure you qualify if you are considering applying for the FAP.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

If you are accepted on December 1, they want you, and they want you to say yes. Yield protection becomes the name of the game.

Now I kinda wish I had said this earlier so people this cycle could have benefited.
Ah, man! Same!

can you negotiate? any tips haha

Wished I: Applied to less schools. Applied early. Applied to schools I could see myself living at, instead of just as names on a screen.

Going to interview at the 2 schools I did was the most fun I had in 2016 though :)

I would have done more research on sdn before applying. As it turns out, I got into the cheapest option for me, but most of the other schools I applied to were the more expensive, private options.

I still would have applied to NYU as a back-up, but I should have applied to more OOS-friendly state schools. I wouldn't necessarily advise this to people with weaker stats, but if you are confident in your application, apply to a broad range of OOS-friendly state schools and at most 1-2 private schools. The ivy league schools seem to be overrated and price should be the number one factor in choosing schools.

If I had to go back, I would have applied to 8-10 schools instead of 4. I would have not bought the complete Kaplan class course which was a total waste of money because I didn't use their material. I would have taken advantage of interfolio to apply a few weeks earlier. Lastly, I wish I didn't worry so much about being Waitlisted and waiting for my first interview.

I probably should've applied some cheaper schools even if they were farther from home. Going to interview at these schools might have changed my mind or at least given me options.

To all that said apply to 8-10 schools at your level: How do you guys know that you were picking the right schools? Obviously, you can somewhat tell if you get an invite and during the interview, but how would know beforehand? I know that you should compare your stats to the ADEA guide, but a quite few "unluckies" don't get in their first time even with a 3.5, 20, and above average ECs.

To all that said apply to 8-10 schools at your level: How do you guys know that you were picking the right schools? Obviously, you can somewhat tell if you get an invite and during the interview, but how would know beforehand? I know that you should compare your stats to the ADEA guide, but a quite few "unluckies" don't get in their first time even with a 3.5, 20, and above average ECs.
You wouldn't believe the number of people I met during my interviews who didn't do their research. They constantly asked questions about the dental schools they interviewed at. I'm not saying it is inherently wrong, because it gives you a topic to talk about during the interview process. Personally, I researched almost every single detail I can learn about the dental school's history, student life, curriculum, student to faculty ratio, cost of admission, and their preferences (i.e. do they favor research or serving the underprivileged neighborhoods).

Feel free to share your unique tips and experiences here..!

I think a generic answer like " I wish I had a better GPA and higher score on DAT" would be USELESS.
What I am really looking for you guys to bring to the table are specific details that you did not notice until the apps were submitted.

I remember someone had mentioned that his/ her transcript was not reflecting that his/her bachelor degree was awarded and it took a toll on the dental application process timewise. The member suggested that it is a good idea to order a copy of official transcript for yourself just to double check everything.

I believe knowing such neat details is valuable to any dental applicant.

Thanks!

Apply and hit submit first week of June. Do not be afraid to keep in constant contact with adcoms.

describe pubs/presentations independently from description of research (as a separate item). the way I did it probably made them almost imperceptible on my app.

Yeah, the app doesn't give much attention or opportunity to showcase these--especially when you have more than just one.

More ECs, more volunteering/community service, revise personal statement; prepare for interviews. I only prepared for my last interview 'cause I thought "just be yourself" meant no need to prepare smh.

Definitely LOTS of volunteering. Being involved in your COMMUNITY is huge. You'll want to do a lot of OUTREACH and LEADERSHIP activities. It's also a great feeling you get in return and something you'll keep doing long after an acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
Wish I took Biochem; and research school requirements and statistics in depth (woulda saved some money not applying to schools that favor IS applicants)

Taking thorough notes about a school as soon as possible after an interview! Writing down your impressions of the faculty, students, facilities, curriculum, etc. It makes it much easier to compare schools months later when your memory starts to get hazy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Apply early (end ish sept applicant). Do academic enrichment prior to app cycle opening cause it can only help. Nothing else really. (Of course, we all wish we could have a high DAT/GPA).

I don't know if you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by limiting your school pool with this, but this is what I did and I am finally accepted to my school of choice. For all of my LORs I told my professor to specifically say I wanted to attend this school. Then I went out and found an endodontist and an oral surgeon who attended said school and had them write my extra recommendations. The dentists who specialize typically are well known at their school so I think that helps. It's who you know and not what you know. I probably wouldn't recommend it, but it did show the school that's where I wanted to be.

Did you apply to just one school if you specifically had that school's name on your letters?

I don't know if you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by limiting your school pool with this, but this is what I did and I am finally accepted to my school of choice. For all of my LORs I told my professor to specifically say I wanted to attend this school. Then I went out and found an endodontist and an oral surgeon who attended said school and had them write my extra recommendations. The dentists who specialize typically are well known at their school so I think that helps. It's who you know and not what you know. I probably wouldn't recommend it, but it did show the school that's where I wanted to be.
I don't think this is advisable. Hardly any percent of the population applies to only one school. You aren't shooting yourself in the foot cause there's a chance your foot will survive, you're sniping yourself. Attn future applicants: Please don't do this

Reactions: 2 users
It would be best to not have your professors mention the school, but you can still seek professional recommendations from those who have made a name for themselves and attended the school of your main interest.

Better choice of OOS school, finish my apps faster, and submit AADSAS without schools if you have LOR in. Then add schools later, this allows GPA to verify if you're waiting for something else to come in

I wish I knew earlier how much emailing the admissions committee could help. I was afraid to e-mail them giving them updates on my application but they were very receptive. I also wish I knew to submit earlier. I submitted in August and I even feel like I was too late then. I also couldve researched a little more into the schools I was applying to in order to try and save some money.

If I could do it all again, I would have applied to less schools, but I would have narrowed my list down strictly on cost. I based my list this year on likelihood of getting into those schools, but I think cost becomes a huge factor after you get in. I'd rather have just not applied to schools that would be extremely expensive.

I second this. Applied to 12 when 6 would've been enough.
But as a nervous applicant, you always think "I'm applying to 6, what if I'd only get into the seventh one." so you apply to the seventh, then the eighth.

But as a nervous applicant, you always think "I'm applying to 6, what if I'd only get into the seventh one." so you apply to the seventh, then the eighth.

I stopped myself by the 12th one haha. I almost had the 13th lined up.......

I applied to 17 (!!) schools and should have applied to a 6-8. I want to cry thinking about the money I could have saved.

If you're 2-3 years out from applying, i highly recommend picking up Spanish. Brush up on your high school Spanish or sign up for Spanish classes at your university if you've never taken one.

Why? No matter what dental school you attend, a large majority of the patient population you'll treat will be Spanish-speaking. Students who are fluent in Spanish will generally see more patients in DS. An added bonus is that it will make you even more employable after DS and it will give you a leg-up almost anywhere in the country.

Source: Not fluent D3 who is re-learning Spanish again on his own and hoping to become fluent by graduation.

If you're applying for FAP do it as soon as the cycle opens (takes a few weeks to process, can't apply until you hear back).

I would have taken my DAT before June. Apply as soon as the cycle open!!