Think long and hard before going to PSCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kricket

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I thought I would take a moment to give you all some advice. If any of you have been accepted into PSCOM, I would think long and hard before going there. I have had several friends attend the school and let me say this, they were not pleased with the education and the administration. I was one of the fortunate who turned down the acceptance that I received. First off, the education is pretty lousy. My friends couldn't believe that they were in medical school. The professors couldn't teach anything, they just read through the notes, etc. leaving it to the students to teach themselves. Many students seem very unhappy with the program at PSCOM. The clinical skills courses are pretty much a joke. My friend was so lost when it came to third year clerkships. From what she has heard now it has only gotten worse. There are several BS courses that could be eliminated and be replaced with important courses.
The administration at PSCOM, well there are problems. They can't keep professors and the ones they keep, from what I have heard should be FIRED. They are just plain old lousy. They don't really care about students. Even at my interview I felt just like another interviewer coming through. They certainly did not make me feel welcome to their school. They are so disorganized.
So, to those of you who are considering PSCOM, think long and hard before making that decision. B/c all in all, it's just not worth it, at least I came to that conclusion from everything that I have heard.

Members don't see this ad.

kricket said:
Hello everyone. I thought I would take a moment to give you all some advice. If any of you have been accepted into PSCOM, I would think long and hard before going there. I have had several friends attend the school and let me say this, they were not pleased with the education and the administration. I was one of the fortunate who turned down the acceptance that I received. First off, the education is pretty lousy. My friends couldn't believe that they were in medical school. The professors couldn't teach anything, they just read through the notes, etc. leaving it to the students to teach themselves. Many students seem very unhappy with the program at PSCOM. The clinical skills courses are pretty much a joke. My friend was so lost when it came to third year clerkships. From what she has heard now it has only gotten worse. There are several BS courses that could be eliminated and be replaced with important courses.
The administration at PSCOM, well there are problems. They can't keep professors and the ones they keep, from what I have heard should be FIRED. They are just plain old lousy. They don't really care about students. Even at my interview I felt just like another interviewer coming through. They certainly did not make me feel welcome to their school. They are so disorganized.
So, to those of you who are considering PSCOM, think long and hard before making that decision. B/c all in all, it's just not worth it, at least I came to that conclusion from everything that I have heard.

Do you mean PCSOM? If so, I must say it weakens you argument if you don’t even know the name of the school you are bashing. If it is indeed PCSOM you mean, I respectfully disagree with you. I am a student a PCSOM and I feel like I am getting a good education. Perhaps your friend had other issues. Good luck in your medical education, I hope you learn to relax a bit. Bashing a school you don’t attend based on second hand information is poor form at best.

E-

Members don't see this ad :)
PCSOM = Philadelphia?? I thought it was "PCOM", so maybe I'm thinking of the wrong school.

Khenon said:
PCSOM = Philadelphia?? I thought it was "PCOM", so maybe I'm thinking of the wrong school.

nope, talking about Pikeville. Philadelphia would be a much better school

eadysx said:
Do you mean PCSOM? If so, I must say it weakens you argument if you don’t even know the name of the school you are bashing. If it is indeed PCSOM you mean, I respectfully disagree with you. I am a student a PCSOM and I feel like I am getting a good education. Perhaps your friend had other issues. Good luck in your medical education, I hope you learn to relax a bit. Bashing a school you don’t attend based on second hand information is poor form at best.

E-

I am indeed referring to Pikeville. I have had more than several friends attend the school and needless to say I am very thankful that I am a student elsewhere. I really hope you are receiving the education that you rightfully deserve b/c from my understanding it is the worst DO school in the country. The doctors that I have shadowed even advised me not to attend Pikeville b/c of the poor quality of education one receives. So, aren't you the least bit worried that you will lack clinical skills since you have no experience outside of the classroom??

kricket said:
I am indeed referring to Pikeville. I have had more than several friends attend the school and needless to say I am very thankful that I am a student elsewhere. I really hope you are receiving the education that you rightfully deserve b/c from my understanding it is the worst DO school in the country. The doctors that I have shadowed even advised me not to attend Pikeville b/c of the poor quality of education one receives. So, aren't you the least bit worried that you will lack clinical skills since you have no experience outside of the classroom??

Well, I am not really sure what you mean by that. We have a Clinical Skills class and I feel I am learning what I need to know as an MS-I there. But the over all answer to your question is NO, I am not worried at all. Medical School is what you make of it. No one can just hand you a medical education, you have to work for it. I have every confidence in myself that when I graduate I will have learned or been taught everything I need to know to be a good physician. Despite what you have heard, I think we have many very good teachers here. Some are maybe not so good but that is going to be the case anywhere. Over all I think we are a strong school and our board scores reflect that.

E-

I have to agree with Kricket, there are many problems at PCSOM. I also think that you all should think wisely about whether to accept an admission from this school if given one or decline it, hoping for a seat in another institution. If one wants an education, a medical education, go elsewhere. Heck, even the OPP at this school isn't all it's cracked up to be and it's suppose to be the strong point? What a joke that is... I am so glad that I transferred out a few years back.

So Kricket this is just heresay. You don't actually attend the school and thus would not be able to expand upon the the accusations you are making. As far as reading from the notes, many profs at PCOM do the same thing. I hardly ever go to class b/c it is a waste (for me). Every school will have profs like this and some are better than others. I am not fond of our clinical skills course either but what do I know I am only a 1st year. I can say that I have learned a great deal from the class though. Many 3rd years feel lost when the start rotations for many reasons but that is more b/c of the person and not the school. There will be people at every school that make the same accusations you have presented. Your point is noted though and it will be something people will think about when selecting a school that is right for them.

kricket said:
:thumbdown: What incredibly poor form! Great second-hand info. bashing there zero. If you want to down a school, choose your own. This is no public service you're giving. Anyone can share hearsay and opinion, but to start a thread based on gossip???
If you feel so strongly about this, then encourage your "friends" to vent. This is not your place.
Bad interview experiences have a forum in the interview feedback section of SDN. Give your info. there. That info. should be limited to what YOU have experienced.
(end of rant)

JKDMed said:
Come on man, it was obviously a typo.

A typo which the person repeated 6 times. I agree, this kind of school bashing doesn't serve any of us. Saying that you have problems with some aspect of the school is one thing, telling people not to go there is another.

drumstickboy00 said:
I have to agree with Kricket, there are many problems at PCSOM.
yes you HAVE TO agree with kricket. you even signed up for sdn on the same day. this is also your FIRST post :laugh:

coincidence? contrivance? agenda?! :smuggrin:

i don't know how good (or bad) pikeville is, but seriously, what's up with this i-dont-go-to-pikeville-but-i-know-it-sucks thing?! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
hyphencracy said:
yes you HAVE TO agree with kricket. you even signed up for sdn on the same day. this is also your FIRST post :laugh:

coincidence? contrivance? agenda?! :smuggrin:

i don't know how good (or bad) pikeville is, but seriously, what's up with this i-dont-go-to-pikeville-but-i-know-it-sucks thing?! :rolleyes:

I get the funny feeling that kricket aka drumstickboy00 didn't make the cut at PCSOM. :rolleyes:

fuegorama said:
:thumbdown: What incredibly poor form! Great second-hand info. bashing there zero. If you want to down a school, choose your own. This is no public service you're giving. Anyone can share hearsay and opinion, but to start a thread based on gossip???
If you feel so strongly about this, then encourage your "friends" to vent. This is not your place.
Bad interview experiences have a forum in the interview feedback section of SDN. Give your info. there. That info. should be limited to what YOU have experienced.
(end of rant)
I agree you can point out problems that you see with the school that you attend to inform others, but to simply start a thread to ridicule a school that you know very little about makes you seem ignorant.

Methinks kricket should think long and hard about going to *any* medical school. And I turned down PCSOM as well, but not because I was necessarily concerned about the quality of the education.

My parents are both patients of a PCSOM grad. They have seen several residents in the family med clinic in Pikeville. They are quite satisfied with the level of care they receive and they are by no means some backwards hicks who wouldn't know a good doctor if it bit 'em. My mom is so fond of the OMT she gets that she won't let me touch her to try anything.

The undergraduate college is a good school. I know several people who went there. (I grew up in Pikeville). They're spread out everywhere from Pikeville to NASA and beyond. I'm sure many of the undergraduate instructors are doubling in the basic sciences for the med school.

The hospital has improved about 1000-fold since the last time I worked there (or visited there). They are constantly bringing in new doctors who are among the best in the area. Not to mention I know many of the local docs who are teaching students in the clinics...and most of them are good. Some of them are great.

Finally, administration and faculty problems exist everywhere. Especially in newer schools, you can expect to see some shuffling around for a few years. I suspect that many people are dissatisfied not by the "quality" of the school, but by the location. Pikeville is not the place to move to if you have no experience in rural areas.

It all comes down to personal preferences, really. I saw weaknesses with the school as well as strengths. I chose a different school because I felt I "fit in" better. (Though DORoe may tell you that I don't really fit in anywhere). Even if PCSOM is the "worst" DO school in the country, their graduates are still passing the boards and practicing medicine. That's what counts.

Willow~~
now what did i come in here for anyway?

I'm a PCSOM fourth year, broke 600 on COMLEX and got more residency interviews than I could go on. I have really enjoyed my rotations, and don't think its that bad. I have friends and family who went to some pretty big name places, and I don't really think our experiences were all that different, with the possible exception of super wal-mart on friday afternoon.

Take home message is that: every school has/will have problems with administration, faculty, and so on. If you don't attend the school, who cares what your friend says (it doesn't have to be posted on public forum). This is disrespect for the school and students who attend the school.

dr.z said:
Take home message is that: every school has/will have problems with administration, faculty, and so on. If you don't attend the school, who cares what your friend says (it doesn't have to be posted on public forum). This is disrespect for the school and students who attend the school.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

/ME smells a double-troll

If you think so highly of Pikeville, then maybe you should of went there. Board scores aren't what makes a doctor a doctor. One can do well on boards and still be a lousy doctor. From what I have heard, the students coming out of Pikeville aren't the best.

WillowRose said:
Methinks kricket should think long and hard about going to *any* medical school. And I turned down PCSOM as well, but not because I was necessarily concerned about the quality of the education.

My parents are both patients of a PCSOM grad. They have seen several residents in the family med clinic in Pikeville. They are quite satisfied with the level of care they receive and they are by no means some backwards hicks who wouldn't know a good doctor if it bit 'em. My mom is so fond of the OMT she gets that she won't let me touch her to try anything.

The undergraduate college is a good school. I know several people who went there. (I grew up in Pikeville). They're spread out everywhere from Pikeville to NASA and beyond. I'm sure many of the undergraduate instructors are doubling in the basic sciences for the med school.

The hospital has improved about 1000-fold since the last time I worked there (or visited there). They are constantly bringing in new doctors who are among the best in the area. Not to mention I know many of the local docs who are teaching students in the clinics...and most of them are good. Some of them are great.

Finally, administration and faculty problems exist everywhere. Especially in newer schools, you can expect to see some shuffling around for a few years. I suspect that many people are dissatisfied not by the "quality" of the school, but by the location. Pikeville is not the place to move to if you have no experience in rural areas.

It all comes down to personal preferences, really. I saw weaknesses with the school as well as strengths. I chose a different school because I felt I "fit in" better. (Though DORoe may tell you that I don't really fit in anywhere). Even if PCSOM is the "worst" DO school in the country, their graduates are still passing the boards and practicing medicine. That's what counts.

Willow~~
now what did i come in here for anyway?

I think it's important for all potential applicants to be well aware of the problems that Pikeville has. It's not disrespectful. One should realize all of this before they fork over the big bucks. It's in the middle of nowhere and they get away with everything. I am sure if you were a student there then maybe you would see things very differently.

dr.z said:

Board scores DO NOT make a good doctor. If you aren't being taught skills, then you will be behind when it comes to other schools. The majority of schools allow first year students in the clinical setting, your school does not.

eadysx said:
Well, I am not really sure what you mean by that. We have a Clinical Skills class and I feel I am learning what I need to know as an MS-I there. But the over all answer to your question is NO, I am not worried at all. Medical School is what you make of it. No one can just hand you a medical education, you have to work for it. I have every confidence in myself that when I graduate I will have learned or been taught everything I need to know to be a good physician. Despite what you have heard, I think we have many very good teachers here. Some are maybe not so good but that is going to be the case anywhere. Over all I think we are a strong school and our board scores reflect that.

E-

kricket said:
I think it's important for all potential applicants to be well aware of the problems that Pikeville has. It's not disrespectful. One should realize all of this before they fork over the big bucks. It's in the middle of nowhere and they get away with everything. I am sure if you were a student there then maybe you would see things very differently.

What do you mean by they get away with everything? Back some of these things up or at least clarify some of these things. It is a little disheartening hearing these things about the school considering I am interviewing this weekend but I will be able to figure it out while I am there. It seems like the students are pretty positive about the school.

First off, the school is so darn isolated, no one cares about it. The community is nasty, wait and find out. The slogan about the town being friendly is nothing more than a lie. Teachers at Pikeville are unable to teach, why don't you just ask some students during your interview and find out for yourself. From what my friends have said, there are many unhappy people attending the school. The school wastes your time. They don't care. The teachers at this school only care about THEIR time and not the students. If you get into any other school, do yourself a favor and go there. I wouldn't wish the Osteopathic program at Pikeville on anyone. You will get a much better education elsewhere.

mfcus said:
What do you mean by they get away with everything? Back some of these things up or at least clarify some of these things. It is a little disheartening hearing these things about the school considering I am interviewing this weekend but I will be able to figure it out while I am there. It seems like the students are pretty positive about the school.

kricket said:
First off, the school is so darn isolated, no one cares about it. The community is nasty, wait and find out. The slogan about the town being friendly is nothing more than a lie. Teachers at Pikeville are unable to teach, why don't you just ask some students during your interview and find out for yourself. From what my friends have said, there are many unhappy people attending the school. The school wastes your time. They don't care. The teachers at this school only care about THEIR time and not the students. If you get into any other school, do yourself a favor and go there. I wouldn't wish the Osteopathic program at Pikeville on anyone. You will get a much better education elsewhere.
You seem awfully resentful towards something you know nothing about... :rolleyes:

Curious how threads like these always seem to get started right after blocks.

Kricket, maybe you were treated bad at your interview because you are not wanted at PCSOM. Maybe that's why you were denied admission since I can see no other reason for your scathing critiques. Or maybe you're trying to get your posts to 10+. At any rate you are less than qualified to form opinions concerning PCSOM.

By the way since you are so happy to be attending another school, maybe you could enlighten us as to which school is graced with your presence so any future interviewees can take that into account as well.

dude, dont you people get it? he does go to pikeville. he was probably just hoping none of his classmates would figure out who he was. although its probably too late for that, kricket-- its pretty easy to sniff out the trolls. honestly, if he didn't go there, he would never have given PCSOM a second thought.

Yeah, that was the point of the last post. Sorry I didn't bold and underline the implied sarcasm in the last sentence. I was just curious as to how the "troll" would respond.

kricket said:
If you think so highly of Pikeville, then maybe you should of went there. Board scores aren't what makes a doctor a doctor. One can do well on boards and still be a lousy doctor. From what I have heard, the students coming out of Pikeville aren't the best.

Well, I was accepted there but I have my own reasons for not going there.

Maybe the problem here is that somebody didn't realize that RURAL meant really friggin' rural.

Listen, I grew up in Pikeville. Spent the majority of my life in the area. The town is not nasty and the people are not mean & evil. It *is* isolated. If you're used to having everything right at your disposal, then it's not the place for you. If you want to whine & moan about how it's in the middle of nowhere and nobody cares about the students.... GROW UP!

Most professional schools do not really care about their students. I've got friends in law school who are completely ignored by the administration. Other medical schools are not terribly interested in student performance as long as those board scores are ok.

Welcome to the adult world. If you think the school doesn't care about you, wait til you see how your attendings feel about you. Oh...and as for those professors who can't teach. Time to take responsibility for your own learning. It's a crazy idea, but it might just work.

To whomever may be applying to PCSOM:

I am sorry if you are becoming uneasy by reading these posts. I have been to 5 out of the 8 or so interviews that have been offered this past year as a student ambassador, in fact, I will be at the interview this Saturday (2/5/2005). I have not seen anyone that has been disgruntled or flat out angry and appalled as this poster suggests he/she was. If you have any questions about our school, I would be happy to address them with any of you at your interview.

Our school is not perfect, but it is a very good school. You will get out of PCSOM exactly what you put into it, as with any medical school. Our clinical skills class is more than sufficient in getting us the foundations necessary for proper patient interaction and future treatment. Classes are hard, but if med school was easy, then everyone would be doing it. We have several faculty members that go to bat for us on a daily basis and are willing to give up their weekends and other free time to come to the school and help us review before examinations. Our professors give us their HOME phone numbers in case we have questions or concerns.

We have the opportunity to "see patients" in the first year on our "Do's On The Go Program" and if we so choose to, the docs here can set us up with some "shadowing" experiences when we have the time. We also have clubs on campus that work really hard to have clinics to learn things during the first or second year what would normally be taught in the clinical setting during rotations. With the OMT that we are taught, we have plenty of opportunites to work on each other (classmates) or on family and friends. If you want exposure, there are plenty of ways to achieve it.

I worked in a Hospital for 2.5 years before I was accepted to PCSOM. Having clinical experience, I can assure you that what we are taught in the classroom is not only applicable, but is also vital to the growth of a budding physician. You will get out of PCSOM exactly what you put into it, that is the take home message.

I do find it odd that these posts mysteriously pop up after our block examinations. I will suggest to each of you not to put much stock in the comments of someone "whom attends another school."

If anyone has any questions, do hesitate to PM me, I would be happy to talk with you about PCSOM. Good luck on your interviews!

ACE

Aaron Earles said:
To whomever may be applying to PCSOM:

I am sorry if you are becoming uneasy by reading these posts. I have been to 5 out of the 8 or so interviews that have been offered this past year as a student ambassador, in fact, I will be at the interview this Saturday (2/5/2005). I have not seen anyone that has been disgruntled or flat out angry and appalled as this poster suggests he/she was. If you have any questions about our school, I would be happy to address them with any of you at your interview.

Our school is not perfect, but it is a very good school. You will get out of PCSOM exactly what you put into it, as with any medical school. Our clinical skills class is more than sufficient in getting us the foundations necessary for proper patient interaction and future treatment. Classes are hard, but if med school was easy, then everyone would be doing it. We have several faculty members that go to bat for us on a daily basis and are willing to give up their weekends and other free time to come to the school and help us review before examinations. Our professors give us their HOME phone numbers in case we have questions or concerns.

We have the opportunity to "see patients" in the first year on our "Do's On The Go Program" and if we so choose to, the docs here can set us up with some "shadowing" experiences when we have the time. We also have clubs on campus that work really hard to have clinics to learn things during the first or second year what would normally be taught in the clinical setting during rotations. With the OMT that we are taught, we have plenty of opportunites to work on each other (classmates) or on family and friends. If you want exposure, there are plenty of ways to achieve it.

I worked in a Hospital for 2.5 years before I was accepted to PCSOM. Having clinical experience, I can assure you that what we are taught in the classroom is not only applicable, but is also vital to the growth of a budding physician. You will get out of PCSOM exactly what you put into it, that is the take home message.

I do find it odd that these posts mysteriously pop up after our block examinations. I will suggest to each of you not to put much stock in the comments of someone "whom attends another school."

If anyone has any questions, do hesitate to PM me, I would be happy to talk with you about PCSOM. Good luck on your interviews!

ACE

I am glad to hear something nice about the school...I'm interviewing 2/26/05. Pikeville can't be that rural, I grew up in a town of 810 people...and "fast-food" was over a half hour away...that's rural. Thanks Aaron...I look forward to coming to Pikeville.

kricket said:

Heard from who your "friends" that go there? So what they are saying is that they are bad doctors? Or have you heard from the voice in your head?

kricket said:

Thanks for the reply, but your information is second hand. You haven't experienced it yourself. I appreciate you in informing us all about how bad the schools is, but I think you make it sound worse than it maybe. I do see that some people like it so it can't all be that bad. If people like the school then, why bother. I hope they will work hard and become good physicians. If they are so bad, tell your friend to transfer to another DO school. This will solve the problem.

kricket said:
Board scores DO NOT make a good doctor. If you aren't being taught skills, then you will be behind when it comes to other schools. The majority of schools allow first year students in the clinical setting, your school does not.

I never said they did, perhaps you should re-read my post. You run your mouth a lot for someone who gets their information from a “friend”. At any rate, point taken, you don’t like Pikeville and you want the world to know it. SDN now knows how you feel, but it looks like most of them don’t care. Perhaps next time you feel you have important information to share you will put it out in a diplomatic way. Maybe then people will take you seriously. I wish you the best in your medical education. Good luck, and good bye.

E-

I have been on SDN longer than anyone and I find it amazing that nothing like this has ever come up before when discussing PCSOM. It was great streak but I guess someone read the NYCOM thread and felt like they needed to do the same. I will be entering a competitive residency next year and never once have I thought the school let me down. Aaron Earles and several others have properly stated the feelings of most PCSOM students. I agree with everything they stated. I am sorry to hear that you do not think PCSOM produces quality physicians however that is your opinion which was apparently based on second hand biased information from your "friend". We all have opinions. I admit that I have my doubts about some schools(MD and DO), but I would never publicly express them on SDN because it is disrespectful to the school and their students and does nothing constructive.

eadysx said:
I have every confidence in myself that when I graduate I will have learned or been taught everything I need to know to be a good physician.

E-

I hope there is no medical student in the country that actually believes this.

I guess you did not read the earlier postings, I declined Pikeville for many of the reasons I have stated. I just didn't think it was the place for me. I am now in an MD program out West. For those who like Pikeville, enjoy it. But really, I am sure most of you attending the school had other schools in mind before deciding to attend Pikeville. Am I right?

raspberry swirl said:
dude, dont you people get it? he does go to pikeville. he was probably just hoping none of his classmates would figure out who he was. although its probably too late for that, kricket-- its pretty easy to sniff out the trolls. honestly, if he didn't go there, he would never have given PCSOM a second thought.

kricket said:
I guess you did not read the earlier postings, I declined Pikeville for many of the reasons I have stated. I just didn't think it was the place for me. I am now in an MD program out West. For those who like Pikeville, enjoy it. But really, I am sure most of you attending the school had other schools in mind before deciding to attend Pikeville. Am I right?
My friend's uncle's, sister's, brother's, cousin thrice removed told me about this friend who one time, at band camp, met this kid who went to PCSOM. It was awesome!
-WM

kricket said:

Why is it that you continue to disguise who you are? What is the name of this mysterious "MD program out west"?

this thread is a waste of time for one reason- no matter how many people kricket manages to dissuade (sp?) with his post, people are still going to go there. the class will always get filled. its not like kricket is going to singlehandedly shut down pcsom by telling a small subset of snders his clearly biased opinion. so thank you, kricket, for letting us all know what you think pcsom is really like, this way we can pity all the people who still end up going there. because people will always go there. because there are more people that want to be doctors than there are spots at perfect MD schools out west. kricket, you have done us all a major service, and we thank you. now, lets let this thread die, because its stupid. where's a moderator when you need one? and ps- i still think you go to pcsom

What in the hell?

It's one thing to criticize the location of the school. There is some definite basis for that. It's another thing to criticize the clinical skills and the osteopathic curriculum at this school.

First of all, I seriously doubt there is another school, DO or MD, that has their first year students writing complete H&Ps and doing physical examinations by their second semester. We are doing that at PCSOM.

Secondly, to criticize the osteopathic curriculum at this school is a statement I can't even fathom at this point. We are currently learning functional techniques, which most schools don't even teach because they say it is too hard to teach.

I've got a feeling that you are a member of this class that is failing because you either can't handle it, or you aren't willing to do what it takes to make the grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.