Think there will be a school in the Caribbean?

Started by Soleada
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Soleada

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's a few medical schools in the Caribbean. I've always wanted to live there for a few years. Does anyone know if any pharmacy schools will be built in the Caribbean? I hear by 2010, there will be a few more pharmacy schools added. Do you think this means that competition to get in will be less intense?
 
Soleada said:
There's a few medical schools in the Caribbean. I've always wanted to live there for a few years. Does anyone know if any pharmacy schools will be built in the Caribbean? I hear by 2010, there will be a few more pharmacy schools added. Do you think this means that competition to get in will be less intense?

Hmm, just found out that St. Theresa's Medical University has a pharmacy school. It's in Saint Kitts.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I do not know if it is legit. Some people on this forum had received mail from them last year and posted it. I think that there is an old thread about this school somewhere.

Of course, do not go to a Caribbean pharmacy school. Period.
 
i never heard any of these schools before....legit or not, they are still very risky to attend.........
 
You can attend Nova Southeastern Universities Pharm school in Puerto Rico. That is pretty close to the caribbean - and it is def legit. I have connected some video conference calls from Orlando to Puerto Rico. Through VC, they get the exact same education as those in West Palm or Ft. Lauderdale.

~above~
 
SpenceRx said:
Is this school legit?

-Spencer

i have heard of indians that go to the caribbeans to get their eduacation if they pursue a medical field cause it is very hard to get into and every indian wants to please their parents by being smart. i bet it is legit.
 
here is the link for the foreign pharmacy graduate.
http://www.nabp.net/

however this exam FPGEE is not an easy exam. my aunt was a pharmacist from vietnam and Germany for over 15 clinical years. she took this exam 4 times. finally she gave up and luckly married a plastic surgeon in Hawaii. that's end of the career for her.

so If anyone want to take an easy way, please reconsider it. try to do well on PCAT and go to school in the U.S.

this FPGEE is way harder then the NAPLEX, and even harder than CA board, cuz my wife used to work for Morris Cody, so she said this exam is very comprehensive, and it always expected the foreign pharmacist must know his/her stuff before he/she COULD get the license.

don't waste your money and time in these foreign schools.

that's my 2 cents today.
 
AlohaLendingInc said:
here is the link for the foreign pharmacy graduate.
http://www.nabp.net/

however this exam FPGEE is not an easy exam. my aunt was a pharmacist from vietnam and Germany for over 15 clinical years. she took this exam 4 times. finally she gave up and luckly married a plastic surgeon in Hawaii. that's end of the career for her.

so If anyone want to take an easy way, please reconsider it. try to do well on PCAT and go to school in the U.S.

this FPGEE is way harder then the NAPLEX, and even harder than CA board, cuz my wife used to work for Morris Cody, so she said this exam is very comprehensive, and it always expected the foreign pharmacist must know his/her stuff before he/she COULD get the license.

don't waste your money and time in these foreign schools.

that's my 2 cents today.

this person has a good point. half my relatives couldn't get their medical degrees and such when they moved here from india because the test they had to take was ridiculously hard! seriously america thinks it is the only country that teaches the same damn thing. india and other countries have the same education but in order for it to transfer you need to take a hard painintheass test.

i didn't notice you had to take the FPGEE. i know there is one place were you can go to get an education and don't have to take a test like a FPGEE. it might have been puerto rico.
 
I know someone who was a friend of one of my friends and he was from Taiwan AND passed the FPGEE.

I looked at some sample questions and it does not seem incredibly hard.

66 questions multiple-choice in 85 minutes or something like that.

I think it is easily passable. I now foreigneres wanting to be doctors is much harder.
 
However, I think that there is no need to go to the Caribbean. Unlike medical schools, there are more pharmacy schools. ANd also, some pharmacy schools are willing to forgive past poor performance, if current performance is up to standard. With most medical schools, even if you performed poorly 10 years ago, you are still screwed.
 
cdpiano27 said:
However, I think that there is no need to go to the Caribbean. Unlike medical schools, there are more pharmacy schools. ANd also, some pharmacy schools are willing to forgive past poor performance, if current performance is up to standard. With most medical schools, even if you performed poorly 10 years ago, you are still screwed.

Actually, schools of medicine out number schools of pharmacy by quite a large margin in the US. Many MD schools accept students with less than stellar performance in their early college life, if they show tramatic improvement and/or do well in a Post-Bacc program and on the MCAT. D.O. programs often accept students in the 2.8-3.2 range (grade replacement is used for repeat classes to calculate GPA as well).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cdpiano27 said:
I know someone who was a friend of one of my friends and he was from Taiwan AND passed the FPGEE.

I looked at some sample questions and it does not seem incredibly hard.

66 questions multiple-choice in 85 minutes or something like that.

I think it is easily passable. I now foreigneres wanting to be doctors is much harder.

if that test FPGEE is easy then Morris Cody would be out of business long time ago, and US would fill will a lot of pharmacists from these third world countries. and the demand / shortage of pharmacists would be at the equilibrium point similiar like those software programers.

good luck for anyone want to risk another $50K for these Carb. schools.

and another $1k for Morris Cody courses. and .....duh....
 
honestly,
How many of you got a good rotation site and learned a lot of them. may be less than 3 sites out of the 6 or 7 sites? so how could these foreign pharmacist has chances to get the knowledges like the mainstream US RX schools. I didn't judge how good or bad of these foreign pharmacist, but for the test taking is totally crazy.

This is what i learned from the Morris Cody ex-trainer. and she was one of the former pharmacist that used to work as a test writer for the CA board.

I hope i proved my point here, yeah?

Mahalo,
 
Seriously guys, I think you might want to hear this. I went to Turks and Caicos when I got accepted to pharmacy school. I met with Dr.Subramani. If you ask him questions his answer is all based on promises. There is no school there. You know what it is? A broke down Resort which was abandoned for 20 years, and a bunch of Indian professors coming down to teach there which are probably not even legit, and dont have phd's. LOL you know what Subramani said when I asked him if there would be a library? He said that we dont need one. There is nothing there, and maybe in 20 years there will be an established school, if enough stupid people go there, and study there asses of until by themselves, but studying on a tiny little island in the middle of the ocean with nothing there will def make you insane. Subramani has high dreams. I wish him all the best, but unfortunatly I think he roughly made so far more than 30 thousand just from application fees. And also, its a huge rip-off. sent out fliers to all the kids who took pcats. Hartcourt def sold our info. Anyone else with a similar story?
 
aboveliquidice said:
You can attend Nova Southeastern Universities Pharm school in Puerto Rico. That is pretty close to the caribbean - and it is def legit. I have connected some video conference calls from Orlando to Puerto Rico. Through VC, they get the exact same education as those in West Palm or Ft. Lauderdale.

~above~

Puerto Rico IS in the Carribean....plus Puerto Rico has it's own school of pharmacy at the University of Puerto Rico in Rio Piedras.
 
emogrrrrl said:
Puerto Rico IS in the Carribean....plus Puerto Rico has it's own school of pharmacy at the University of Puerto Rico in Rio Piedras.

gosh you emo kids! make me wanna listen to dashboards.