thinkin rad vs anes vs rad onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALTorGT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all
was debating btw rad and anes..and someone through up rad onc...after doing a bit more reading, discoverd it to be a real interesting field....just wondering though..and I think you will concur with me...

anesthesiology and diag/intv rads seem like more bread and butter and well grounded specialities right? Given that I'm interested in Pvt. Practice, is rad onc too small and esoteric to be considering?

thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

Rad Onc is a great field but incredibly hard to get into. I would suggest that it tops Derm as the hardest. There are only +/- 100 spots nationwide each year. One of my good friends is a brain child MD/Phd at age 25, research in rad onc, 250+ step 1 and was sweating getting into a spot. Its not impossible to get in but its definitely tricky.

I'll second what gaseous said about rad-onc. It's pretty self-selecting in the first place and even then the unmatched numbers are real real high. I won't say don't go for it, but you know where you fall in terms of board scores and class rank, I don't. If you've got what it takes then go for it if that's what you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the thingabout rad onc is that it's such a small field, that the right letter from the right person can make you or break you. If you look at the step scores for the people that apply, it's actually not ridiculously high, i.e there are people that match with 225's, etc. I think doing research is very important for that field, which in turn will get you close enough to someone who will be able to write you a stellar letter.

choose a specialty youd be happy in ...the money will come with...dont base your decision on how hard or competitive things are in a specific specialty

you will short change yourself that way!