Thinking about dropping out of law school to purse dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawlcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first year at a top law school with bad grades (2.55). Job prospects do not look good and I'm not sure if I want to be a lawyer so I am considering dental school because I have always been interested in dentistry.

However, I have a liberal arts undergrad major so I didn't take any science courses. Would going back to college and taking the science prereqs that I need put me at a disadvantage when it comes to dental school admissions? How would the fact that I dropped out of law school affect my chances?

And I know that many dental school like to see higher level science classes in addition to the required ones. Approximately how long would it take to take the required science classes and some extra ones?

I was able to finish college in 3.5 years by taking extra classes each semester but is that sort of thing possible with science classes and their lab requirements? I would like to get a sense of how long it would take me to be ready to apply to dental school.
Thanks!
*Pursue

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my first year at a top law school with bad grades (2.55). Job prospects do not look good and I'm not sure if I want to be a lawyer so I am considering dental school because I have always been interested in dentistry.

However, I have a liberal arts undergrad major so I didn't take any science courses. Would going back to college and taking the science prereqs that I need put me at a disadvantage when it comes to dental school admissions? How would the fact that I dropped out of law school affect my chances?

And I know that many dental school like to see higher level science classes in addition to the required ones. Approximately how long would it take to take the required science classes and some extra ones?

I was able to finish college in 3.5 years by taking extra classes each semester but is that sort of thing possible with science classes and their lab requirements? I would like to get a sense of how long it would take me to be ready to apply to dental school.
Thanks!
*Pursue

First, go shadow a bit to make sure that that interest in dentistry is real.

Going back for pre-reqs won't hurt you, but the departure from a professional school with poor preformance on top of it is going to be tough. If you go back, you have to make a heavy load of classes and labs work. You've got some proving to do. Look at the list of pre-reqs. If you're not working, enough pre-reqs and the DAT could be ready to go in less than two years. Some uppers could be taken while you apply. Not sure about how much damage repair you need for others GPAs though. That could change everything.

Thanks!
*Pursue

I'm a lawyer and am actually applying to dental school this cycle. PM me and I'll be happy to offer my personal insight. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
We talking Harvard, Yale, Stanford good? If so stick it out imo. There are also great opertunities for jd/dds's.

Thanks!
*Pursue
Lots and lots of fun!!!!!!! :love:

We talking Harvard, Yale, Stanford good? If so stick it out imo. There are also great opertunities for jd/dds's.

Unfortunately not. It's one of top 10 or so law schools but not the top 3.
I've thought about sticking it out to get my JD but that's going to be expensive and I figure it's smart to cut my losses now if I'm dropping out.

Will a 2.55 during one year of law school make you literally unemployable after graduation? Normally I tell people to go for it but it seems like you are really close to having a law degree from a top 10 school and that is pretty valuable.

If you start pursuing dentistry now, you have at the very minimum 6 years until you will actually be a dentist. It is an awesome carter for most people though. It seems like either way, if you put in the work, you will be on the right track.

A law school graduate with a 2.55 o-gpa will trump a law school drop out with the same gpa.

I'm guessing you would need two years of prerequisite science courses before interviews/acceptances. That puts you 7 years out, if you start science courses this fall semester.

Law and dentistry are VERY different. I suggest you shadow a dentist or take part in programs held by dental schools for predent students. If you start now, get into classes without problems, you could probably get accepted in two years minimum.

Will a 2.55 during one year of law school make you literally unemployable after graduation?
21.gif

Kind of. 1st year grades are huge because they are all that employers have to go on when students go through OCI, which is where a large percentage of hiring is done. Most of the desirable jobs (ie: biglaw) are through this process. If you strike out, even if you right the ship and pull up the gpa during 2L or 3L, the opportunities are now few and far between. It's a weird way to do hiring for grad school imo, but it is what it is.

OP, I'm going to go against the grain and say that if you know that you have no interest in doing law or don't think you will secure employment, I don't think you should throw good money after bad.

Unfortunately not. It's one of top 10 or so law schools but not the top 3.
I've thought about sticking it out to get my JD but that's going to be expensive and I figure it's smart to cut my losses now if I'm dropping out.

Top 10 is still a top tier law school ...I'd say stick with it. I thought top-tier law school graduates don't have issue landing jobs? Also do firms look at your performance in school?

With that said, I can see why you're doubting yourself being in the profession. My sister is a Cal Law graduate and it is tough to see her work 70-80 hours a week (and that's a norm if you work in a big law firm). Waking up with 15-30 emails every morning for her work and dealing with some co-worker pulling bitch-moves on you (i.e. not reporting their bosses that they received your help on assignments to make it seem it was solely done by them) don't really seem fun. She was initially doing some corporate law and alot of work given to associates are only time consuming due to its sheer amount, not because they are difficult or mentally challenging. I'm sure there are other lawyers out there who love it (financially speaking, starting ~160k and going up by 20-30k every year), I think you just have to find the type of work you like in law.