thinking about going into optometry- advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sasoriboi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've kinda been in a bubble of confusion lately. Just finished first year of dental school. Will say that there have been more cons than pros. Basically have gotten to the point where I feel that I do not enjoy most of the things that we do, and because of that, I feel like I'm wasting my time and money. I've felt like this for a while now, and want to go into something else. Ideally, I'd like to stay in a health career. I've always wanted to. I've been looking into options, and have looked into optometry recently- seems like something I'd like to do, and seems like an interesting career choice. Only thing is, I have no idea where to start. I would ideally like to start by shadowing, and get myself some experience and exposure. But I have a lot of questions:

-How do I apply? I have a strong undergrad GPA (3.9+) and my DAT score was high (23). I know the OAT is pretty similar to the DAT.
-How would it looks to optometry schools if I transferred from dental school?
-When do the cycles run for applying?
-When can you take the OAT exam?
-Will admissions be looking into my dental school transcript and grades?
-Do I have a good chance of getting in, despite the fact that I'm already in dental school?

Just a lot of concerns and questions. I'm going through a lot of confusion right now, so any information helps.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

To answer your questions (and some may add on to or correct me if I'm wrong):

1) You apply through OptomCAS which is a centralized application for Optometry school. You must request transcripts from every school attended for yourself and to be sent to OptomCAS. Your undergrad GPA and DAT score are nice, so I'd assume you'd do well on the OAT, but it does have physics as well.

2) I don't think they would look at it as a bad thing if you transfer from Dental school, because you just didn't fit the dental career you wanted to pursue. Though, they may think 'oh, he went to dental school and couldn't even continue after a year, so what if he's admitted to optometry school and does the same?' That sort of stuff. If you truly show them you gained optometry experience and know that you want to do it then you should be good.

3) The cycles run from June/July to various months in the spring depending on the school. It is rolling admissions and applying early is recommended, though not required.

4) I believe you can take the OAT exam year round whenever you feel like you're ready to. You can only retake it after 90 days.

5) You may or may not have to report the transcript from your Dental school, but I'm not sure on that since I'm still pre-optometry.

6) You definitely have a good chance of getting in, but that also depends on your gpa, oat scores, letters of recommendation, shadowing/volunteer/work experience, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
To answer your questions (and some may add on to or correct me if I'm wrong):

1) You apply through OptomCAS which is a centralized application for Optometry school. You must request transcripts from every school attended for yourself and to be sent to OptomCAS. Your undergrad GPA and DAT score are nice, so I'd assume you'd do well on the OAT, but it does have physics as well.

2) I don't think they would look at it as a bad thing if you transfer from Dental school, because you just didn't fit the dental career you wanted to pursue. Though, they may think 'oh, he went to dental school and couldn't even continue after a year, so what if he's admitted to optometry school and does the same?' That sort of stuff. If you truly show them you gained optometry experience and know that you want to do it then you should be good.

3) The cycles run from June/July to various months in the spring depending on the school. It is rolling admissions and applying early is recommended, though not required.

4) I believe you can take the OAT exam year round whenever you feel like you're ready to. You can only retake it after 90 days.

5) You may or may not have to report the transcript from your Dental school, but I'm not sure on that since I'm still pre-optometry.

6) You definitely have a good chance of getting in, but that also depends on your gpa, oat scores, letters of recommendation, shadowing/volunteer/work experience, etc.

Thank you very much! That helps a lot. Some other questions:

-what type of experience do people usually have when applying to optometry school? Do most people have shadowing, or do a lot of people have optometry work experience?
-whats the best study material currently in use? I used DAT Destroyer basically for the DAT.
-Would I be able to apply this coming cycle (June 2018), if I have my personal statement, LOR's, and OAT scores ready to go?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much! That helps a lot. Some other questions:

-what type of experience do people usually have when applying to optometry school? Do most people have shadowing, or do a lot of people have optometry work experience?
-whats the best study material currently in use? I used DAT Destroyer basically for the DAT.
-Would I be able to apply this coming cycle (June 2018), if I have my personal statement, LOR's, and OAT scores ready to go?
Yup no problem.

I’d say half and half from what I’ve seen for people regarding having optometric work experience and/or shadowing. Some have both while some have more of one than the other. Starting off with shadowing a couple of Optometry environments (i.e. coporate, private, group, etc.) would give you an idea of what you have more of a liking for and may also lead you to working for that specific optometrist office for experience. Many people work as optometrist technicians/assistants if they do work. Only shadowing for a decent amount of time is viable as well.

For the OAT, the following are usually recommended: Chad’s videos, Kaplan book (with practice tests), OAT destroyers (same as DAT destroyers except for physics), and ADA practice test. I feel for you the Destroyers you have + physics destroyer + practice tests should be enough. Physics destroyer, though, might be harder than the actual OAT physics.

You would definitely be able to apply for the coming 2018 cycle as long as you have all of those things good to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious, have you considered medical school? Optometry is cool (I was accepted to an Optometry school before giving up acceptance to change course and apply to med school, now headed to Neurology) and a great career, but have you explored other options? As you mention, DAT and OAT are similar, but with a 3.9 and ability to perform on standardized exams you should have a good shot at med school if you take enough time to round out your app....

Just curious, have you considered medical school? Optometry is cool (I was accepted to an Optometry school before giving up acceptance to change course and apply to med school, now headed to Neurology) and a great career, but have you explored other options? As you mention, DAT and OAT are similar, but with a 3.9 and ability to perform on standardized exams you should have a good shot at med school if you take enough time to round out your app....
Hey,

I've thought about it. Never actually pursued it. I did volunteer and shadow in different medical settings, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the hospital life, or being on-call. It's a very nice career later on in life, but I feel like you have to really enjoy it from the get-go.

Hey,

I've thought about it. Never actually pursued it. I did volunteer and shadow in different medical settings, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the hospital life, or being on-call. It's a very nice career later on in life, but I feel like you have to really enjoy it from the get-go.

Plus to be honest, I'm not sure if I'd be able to do well on the MCAT. I feel like it's an exam that would be really difficult for me to do well on, and with the DAT, I feel like I did well because it's mostly fact-based. I'm not really the best at standardized exams either in all honesty.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,

Good to hear - I only ask because, when I initially applied to Optometry school, I had not considered other options and found that med school was a much better fit for me (ie I love the hospital, and as you say I really DID enjoy it from the get go).

Re: MCAT - yes I felt it was much harder than the OAT, but with enough prep it is not insurmountable and you've already proven yourself to have the ability to prep for a standardized test and succeed, even if the content is different

Best of luck to you

Reactions: 1 users
NasirU pretty much answered all your questions. I just want to add a few things.

I don't think being a dental student will hurt your chances. During my interview at SCCO, I met a current first year student who left medical school. I myself cancelled my PA school applications last year as soon as I got a job at an eye clinic. My interviewers told me they totally understand the reasons behind this transition and claimed that this "goldilocks" method is a great thing. So, as long as you can communicate your reasons for choosing optometry, you shouldn't have any problems given your good stats.

However, I am curious as to why you're no longer interested in dentistry? What characteristics do you not like about it, and were you unaware of these things going into the field?