Thinking About Going To Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K1987

Reaction score
Hi,

I need some guidance on if I should pursue Dentistry. To give you some background on myself, I completed a degree in business, Supply Chain Management in 2009, my cumulative GPA was a 3.18, so not so great. Worked for a few years and then tried to start my own audio production company, since I have played instruments my whole life and love music. Things didn’t work out, got divorced and moved back in with the parents to reinvent myself. I just payed off all of my debts, so no car debt or credit cards. Last year I did a Software Boot camp and I am now currently working as Software Engineer. I am at the point where I am going to either pursue a masters in computer science or prerequisite’s for dental school admissions for 2 years. I don’t have to pay rent right now and I am 31 years old looking to complete school at about 38 with $400,000, so not ideal but perhaps will be for the better in the long run.

Reasons for me to not let Dentistry go:

1. I am very outgoing and love talking to and dealing with people.

2. I am an entrepreneur at heart, I was raised in a family of entrepreneurs, so working a corporate job is not something I want to do long term.

3. I think science is fascinating and would love to learn more.

4. Being a Doctor just sounds cool and the ability to make good money and help people as well is a plus!

The decision I’m making is for the next 10, 20 and 30 years left of my career so I’m really trying to make the right one. I would like to do well enough to invest in real estate and own my own business.

I guess the main thing that I am afraid of is what if I waste 2 years and $25,000 dollars to not get accepted anywhere. What if I don’t do well on the DAT or can’t handle Dental School. I guess I am just looking for some insight and clarity. I know that Software is also a good path but I am not sure which path will be better in the long run.

Thanks for your time and I really appreciate you reading this long response lol.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

K1987
You sound like a very gifted and talented guy. You don't need dentistry to succeed!
Go with what you already know. I have a feeling you will do just fine by leaving the dentist dream alone.
Good Luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Whew..........

I don't think you know anything about dentistry just by reading this post. You might want to shadow a dentist and do some research into the field.

#4 is especially concerning. You want to become a doctor because it sounds cool, makes good money, and helping people is a bonus? If this is really your true feeling towards the career, then you are in for a deep ****. You need to get the priority straight as to why you want this career. If by chance you end up going into this career and end up in interviews... you might want to reconsider hard what you want to say to the question "why dentistry?"

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m also a non traditional student. D school is a commitment so you will want to be sure that it’s what you want to do. After all, hard to pay off loans of that kind if you decide to change careers. Get out and shadow some dentists- you’ll have to get in 100+ hours of this anyway and it is only going to take you a little time investment right now. Also assess your other opportunities - trust me, there are definitely times I wish I was drawn to something that didn’t require so much in time and loans. That being said, I feel like dentistry is my calling, and while I won’t be living as high on the hog as some dentists, I know that my family and I are going to to better off. Just have a clear idea of what your life will be like upon graduation and if you will be able to reach your life goals.

1. I am very outgoing and love talking to and dealing with people.

2. I am an entrepreneur at heart, I was raised in a family of entrepreneurs, so working a corporate job is not something I want to do long term.

3. I think science is fascinating and would love to learn more.

4. Being a Doctor just sounds cool and the ability to make good money and help people as well is a plus!

1. Excellent. This is the most important part.

2. In dentistry it is way more likely that you can avoid a corporate environment than the software engineer example you provided. That being said, the majority of people I knew in school graduated to become corporate dentists. At least so far.

3. Cool. Although I would argue dentistry has limited science application following dental school. Sure, the field uses science, but day to day application is mostly cook-book. In fact, most of your day is focused on mechanical concerns.

4. Being a doctor sounds cool? That wears off fast. I don't mean it isnt a thing. It's fun at first. It isn't quite like MD status-wise either, and that probably gets old fast too. Probably shouldn't let that guide you.

1. Excellent. This is the most important part.

2. In dentistry it is way more likely that you can avoid a corporate environment than the software engineer example you provided. That being said, the majority of people I knew in school graduated to become corporate dentists. At least so far.

3. Cool. Although I would argue dentistry has limited science application following dental school. Sure, the field uses science, but day to day application is mostly cook-book. In fact, most of your day is focused on mechanical concerns.

4. Being a doctor sounds cool? That wears off fast. I don't mean it isnt a thing. It's fun at first. It isn't quite like MD status-wise either, and that probably gets old fast too. Probably shouldn't let that guide you.
Hey!

Thanks for the reply back! I agree on the last point. The Doctor status is not a driving factor.

My main focus is to be able to do something that really helps people and to build relationships with those same people over the years. Of course being my own boss and the pay is a plus.

Second is to be able to grow old with the business I have created and have many years of longevity in that career.

I have shadowed a few dentists multiple times, so I have somewhat of an understand in the day to day, the business operation, procedures and customer facing. The only thing I am unsure of is what it's actually like for me to be holding the drill and working in someone's mouth.

Lastly the debt is a little intimidating, especially if I only qualify to get into a private school due to my lower cumlative gpa.

When you imagine the arc of your life, do you plan to be working till you're 65-70 or longer?

If a shorter timeframe to retirement and/or financial independence is a part of your vision for yourself, don't go to dental school.