Thinking about moving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMattOglesby

Grand Master
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting to realize that this may be my last year of freedom with this whole medical school thing on the horizon.
I figure a good way to spend my year off (pending I am accepted somewhere for the entering class of 2009), would be any of 4 choices:

1) Move to a desired location (hawaii, guam, miami, costa rica, caribbean)
2) Live at home in Napa, yet travel to aforementioned locations
3) Volunteer in a program that covers room/board in a desired location
4) Stay home and save up money

Which of these do you think I should pursue?

anxious in napa,
matt

PS: feel free to move this thread to a different forum if necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting to realize that this may be my last year of freedom with this whole medical school thing on the horizon.
I figure a good way to spend my year off (pending I am accepted somewhere for the entering class of 2009), would be any of 4 choices:

1) Move to a desired location (hawaii, guam, miami, costa rica, caribbean)
2) Live at home in Napa, yet travel to aforementioned locations
3) Volunteer in a program that covers room/board in a desired location
4) Stay home and save up money

Which of these do you think I should pursue?

anxious in napa,
matt

PS: feel free to move this thread to a different forum if necessary.

Why not pursue number 2. You can stay at those locations for long periods of time and can come home to rest hahaha.

D

option #2 is a good one, aside from the financial costs. All the places I listed are at least a $500 plane ticket roundtrip. Not to mention living expenses once there.
I think if I do anything, it'll happen at the beginning of September.

Members don't see this ad :)
You applied to Nova, right? Set up FL residency first, then travel. Save $10k+ tuition per year.

I recommend Nicaragua. Oh so lovely. Inexpensive. I thought it was safe (and clean) outside the urban areas.

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm doing a program in a country I've always wanted to live in (Argentina). Room and board are provided. I think it'll be an amazing experience, and I'll learn medical spanish, which is invaluable. I'm doing that for about 6 months, and then travelling for the rest of the year till school starts. Don't worry about the money factory. You're going to be so in debt when you get out anyways, and this is pretty much the last opportunity you have to just take off for a year. Travelling/visiting is great, but there's nothin like living somewhere. It's pretty much impossible to get a working visa with such short notice, so I'd do a volunteer program.

Keep in mind that you are still going to have to travel for interviews.

Posted via Mobile Device

You applied to Nova, right? Set up FL residency first, then travel. Save $10k+ tuition per year.

I recommend Nicaragua. Oh so lovely. Inexpensive. I thought it was safe (and clean) outside the urban areas.

I think that is a WONDERFUL idea!!!
I still have a valid FL driver's license too. I may need to get re-registered to vote in FL though. After that, its just a matter of getting my name on a lease and securing a job.
I really think that is the route to take, GREAT suggestion :D:thumbup:

I think that is a WONDERFUL idea!!!
I still have a valid FL driver's license too. I may need to get re-registered to vote in FL though. After that, its just a matter of getting my name on a lease and securing a job.
I really think that is the route to take, GREAT suggestion :D:thumbup:

You have all year right? Well, when you go interview at a school you can stay there for a week or so and get to know the lay of the land either before or after your interview.

What I plan on doing during my time off and this time I am not going to be in a big rush. I am going to cycle the coast of california, or maybe the entire US west coast. If you do this you have to set up cache points along the way, lots of researching and pre-planning could take up a long time. It took my six mos to set up mine. Also, be sure to start from the northern area and end up at the Mexican/American border. Thats one place to celebrate an end. If you went the other way. You would have all the cool things to look at, at first but then nothing and you might lose your drive.

Also, this may sounds cliche` but why not backpack Europe. Go where you want to go, meet new people and see new places. Heck, you may even run into Ellio~ while your there. hehehe

Just make some memories that will hold you over till you finish your first year and have tons of pics to remember when you have been. Because when this roller-coaster called medicine starts, there is no way to stop it, just gotta finish out the ride.

Ok enough of my drug induced rumbling, lets us know what you pick so we can live viacriously through you. hehhehehhehe

You have all year right? Well, when you go interview at a school you can stay there for a week or so and get to know the lay of the land either before or after your interview.

What I plan on doing during my time off and this time I am not going to be in a big rush. I am going to cycle the coast of california, or maybe the entire US west coast. If you do this you have to set up cache points along the way, lots of researching and pre-planning could take up a long time. It took my six mos to set up mine. Also, be sure to start from the northern area and end up at the Mexican/American border. Thats one place to celebrate an end. If you went the other way. You would have all the cool things to look at, at first but then nothing and you might lose your drive.

Also, this may sounds cliche` but why not backpack Europe. Go where you want to go, meet new people and see new places. Heck, you may even run into Ellio~ while your there. hehehe

Just make some memories that will hold you over till you finish your first year and have tons of pics to remember when you have been. Because when this roller-coaster called medicine starts, there is no way to stop it, just gotta finish out the ride.

Ok enough of my drug induced rumbling, lets us know what you pick so we can live viacriously through you. hehhehehhehe
I agree with Ocho. I think #2 would be the best bet or at least that's what I am planning on doing before starting school. My destinations are Alaska for some good ole fishing, Africa for some kind of community involvement that I would enjoy, and finally to Fiji to lay in the sun and bake. (Yes I know its a couples island but I'm going anyway LOL). So good luck...pick #2 :)

You could try South East Asian countries like Thailand, where a buck can go a long way. The biggest expense would be the flight.

I have lots of friends that worked at hostels in Europe. They got free room and board and enough spending cash to go out and party once in a while. Just work during the day. Knowing at least 2 languages helps though. It is a pretty sweet gig. If you are good at fixing stuff then you may help with odd jobs. Perhaps run the hostel bar. Check people in...stuff like that. You get to meet people from all over the world.

You could try South East Asian countries like Thailand, where a buck can go a long way. The biggest expense would be the flight.

I did south east asia a few times now. it's really the best bang for the buck. everything is so cheap and beautiful. some of the best beaches in the world are in thailand.

I did south east asia a few times now. it's really the best bang for the buck. everything is so cheap and beautiful. some of the best beaches in the world are in thailand.
Uhmm I might look into that one. Sounds like a good vacation stop.

Members don't see this ad :)
-i was recommended by a chiropractic student that during my gap year, i would benefit a lot by waiting tables for two reasons:

1. the money is good
  2. it will give me lots of interaction with lots of different types of people, a skill that is essential for a doctor.

-I have also been advised by my father with:

1. Don't go for something like Hawaii or Guam, costa rica,etc. You have to go for the one that will fit your financial situation.

• What you wish or desire is dependent on finances.
-and here's a tidbit from a former classmate from yesteryear:

• you're pretty young and when you think of $40k over four years, relative to your future income (and possibly a life partner's income), the amount doesn't seem like a lot when you think of the esoteric gains from a year of travel - in what could be your "last year of freedom."
In case you haven't picked up on it yet, I am very bad at making decisions! For some of you who have interviewed already and for those of you who will interview, they ask, "what is your greatest weakness?" --guess what mine is =/

Don't worry, with whatever decision you choose it will be fitting for yourself. I am sure you're not the only one who changes there mind every five seconds...i.e ME lol

-i was recommended by a chiropractic student that during my gap year, i would benefit a lot by waiting tables for two reasons:

1. the money is good
  2. it will give me lots of interaction with lots of different types of people, a skill that is essential for a doctor.

-I have also been advised by my father with:

1. Don't go for something like Hawaii or Guam, costa rica,etc. You have to go for the one that will fit your financial situation.

• What you wish or desire is dependent on finances.
-and here's a tidbit from a former classmate from yesteryear:

• you're pretty young and when you think of $40k over four years, relative to your future income (and possibly a life partner's income), the amount doesn't seem like a lot when you think of the esoteric gains from a year of travel - in what could be your "last year of freedom."
In case you haven't picked up on it yet, I am very bad at making decisions! For some of you who have interviewed already and for those of you who will interview, they ask, "what is your greatest weakness?" --guess what mine is =/

don't wait tables!! it sucks.. but i guess all mindless jobs do. or maybe i worked at a bad restaurant. but if you were working at a restaurant in hawaii or something.. that might be awesome. and costa rica is pretty cheap (or it was in 2k3 when i was there). go to SE asia or south america if you are on a budget. i was in thailand in 2006 and it was cheaper for me to be there in a cabana on the beach than it was for me to be home paying rent (i.e. 7 dollars a night for cabana, 2 dollars a meal, 20 dollars per dive, 3 dollars for a bottle of the local liquor, etc)

i'm in the same boat as you. i have the year off, and i plan on traveling for atleast 6 months, but i'm not exactly sure where to go yet :p but i will probably go to south america and go back to asia. i think i am going to go to nepal in march to trek to everest base camp.. i am horribly indecisive also. i'd love to go to europe, but i don't know if that will work because of the weak dollar. i would try and travel for the entire year but i need to be here in the fall to interview and when i get to the interviews i feel like i need to be doing something related to science/medicine so when they ask me what i am doing currently i have something to tell them other than sitting on the beach :)

Last edited:

DrMidlife is a smart cookie! This is the best idea yet... and not only would saving $ on tuition be great, but flights out of FL to caribbean are super cheap, too.

I have lots of friends that worked at hostels in Europe. They got free room and board and enough spending cash to go out and party once in a while. Just work during the day. Knowing at least 2 languages helps though. It is a pretty sweet gig. If you are good at fixing stuff then you may help with odd jobs. Perhaps run the hostel bar. Check people in...stuff like that. You get to meet people from all over the world.

MossPoh-- you must've never seen that movie! :eek: I don't know about this one...

Oh! Another option is teaching English overseas-- a good friend of mines has taught English as a 2nd language in Korea, England and Turkey. She loves to travel so this is perfect for her. She doesn't have teaching degree, you usually only need a Bachelor's and be fluent in English.

DrMidlife is a smart cookie! This is the best idea yet... and not only would saving $ on tuition be great, but flights out of FL to caribbean are super cheap, too.

MossPoh-- you must've never seen that movie! :eek: I don't know about this one...

Oh! Another option is teaching English overseas-- a good friend of mines has taught English as a 2nd language in Korea, England and Turkey. She loves to travel so this is perfect for her. She doesn't have teaching degree, you usually only need a Bachelor's and be fluent in English.

I have my certificate to teach english, so I considered doing that...just realized I forgot to put that on my application but whatever. Anyway, that damn movie ruined it for americans. lol Just don't go to eastern european ones and you'll be fine. The German ones are nicer than most hotels in italy and spain. All of my best friends in europe are from hostels. The real trick to not getting murdered is to not follow a stunningly beautiful person into an abandoned warehouse...the kind of warehouse I lived across from in Berlin.

I'll tell you how I paid for my last 6 european trips. Meet me at the old abandoned building. Ignore the red liquid...its uh...red tide...in puddles.

just a lil update:

I phoned a friend in miami (a former colleague and triathlete traing partner), and he said he was just about to get a place downtown and is now searching for a 3bedroom apartment.
my rent will be something like $350-400/mo.
he is working on looking for jobs for me now.
i just have to commit to a year to live out there (as the lease is 1 year)
i think i found my golden ticket...

**and now i just got off the phone with ANOTHER buddy who said he found me a job and a place to stay (up to two months)!!!

Last edited:
just a lil update:

I phoned a friend in miami (a former colleague and triathlete traing partner), and he said he was just about to get a place downtown and is now searching for a 3bedroom apartment.
Good Luck

just a lil update:

**and now i just got off the phone with ANOTHER buddy who said he found me a job and a place to stay (up to two months)!!!

So, when I head down to sofla we're going to party right?

I've been meaning to head down there and go dolphin fishing sometime.

now miami would be a sweet place to live for a few months. have you thought about vegas? i think if money wasn't an issue i would go to vegas for like a month :cool:

now miami would be a sweet place to live for a few months. have you thought about vegas? i think if money wasn't an issue i would go to vegas for like a month :cool:
Just don't lose all your money in a month when you get here LOL Its VERY easy to do.

just a lil update:

congrats!! i've been pondering the same options for quite some time.. i think starting this aug when my lease is up i'm moving back in w/ my parents to save money for interview traveling expenses. after the decisions made i'm gonna try to travel around a bit before med school starts up! there are so many places to explore before beginning the full-time job of a med student...a couple summers ago i went to honduras which was amazing! tomorrow i'm off for a family trip to hawaii..and theres a slight chance i just might not come back! :p

the idea of moving to florida to get in-state tuition is a great idea! do you know if it's possible for schools to switch your status as out-of-state for your M1 to in-state for your M2-M4 after living there for a year? it probably depends on the state but i haven't gotten to researching that yet. that would be perfect! also, i see that you, MrMattOglesby, went to FIU for undergrad..how did you like it there!? i'd love to go there but the only thing is that next fall is the first incoming class..hmmm..i guess it'd be fun to help the initial dev of the school

also, submitting apps by the end of june are still considered early right? i'm still waiting on mcat scores from 5-27 and might add/subtract the schools i include based on those. wow sorry for such a long post..hopefully everything works out for all of us!! yay medicine! :D

...the idea of moving to florida to get in-state tuition is a great idea! do you know if it's possible for schools to switch your status as out-of-state for your M1 to in-state for your M2-M4 after living there for a year? it probably depends on the state but i haven't gotten to researching that yet. that would be perfect! also, i see that you, MrMattOglesby, went to FIU for undergrad..how did you like it there!? i'd love to go there but the only thing is that next fall is the first incoming class..hmmm..i guess it'd be fun to help the initial dev of the school

also, submitting apps by the end of june are still considered early right? i'm still waiting on mcat scores from 5-27 and might add/subtract the schools ...

lol youre right that was a long post, i paraphrased you in the quote ;)
anyhow, I have heard of some schools switching your status from OOS to IS after MS1. I do not know which schools they are, but its not a common practice.
and i did go to FIU as an undergrad. It happened by luck actually. I initially started at University of Miami...but felt guilty about the high tuition, so I was about to move back to california and reapply to a school there, but then a friend told me about FIU, and the fact that they have one of the best rates for out of state students in the country really persuaded me to attend.
and thats a good point, FIU is going to be starting their inaugural class...and while some may be slighted by that fact, I am excited at the possibility of being one of the lucky 40. UCF is also starting a school, and their class is going to be given full-ride scholarships! Talk about incentives, right?!
And as far as applications are concerned, I took the MCAT same date as you...but I am going to wait one week before scores are released before I decide to submit my application. This will benefit me for two reasons,
1) I'll have acquired a physical address in FL by that time, and can officially apply as a FL resident.
2) The verification process might take slightly more than a week (i'm guessing), and i want to make sure that my new scores are on my application as opposed to JUST my old MCAT score (would hate a pre-secondary rejection).

You need to move to atlanta and keep me motivated to train while I'm MS-1. I will then pull strings to get you accepted to GA-PCOM, as well as any other med school you want. I should be sufficiently well-connected by then.

lol youre right that was a long post, i paraphrased you in the quote ;)
anyhow, I have heard of some schools switching your status from OOS to IS after MS1. I do not know which schools they are, but its not a common practice.
and i did go to FIU as an undergrad. It happened by luck actually. I initially started at University of Miami...but felt guilty about the high tuition, so I was about to move back to california and reapply to a school there, but then a friend told me about FIU, and the fact that they have one of the best rates for out of state students in the country really persuaded me to attend.
and thats a good point, FIU is going to be starting their inaugural class...and while some may be slighted by that fact, I am excited at the possibility of being one of the lucky 40. UCF is also starting a school, and their class is going to be given full-ride scholarships! Talk about incentives, right?!
And as far as applications are concerned, I took the MCAT same date as you...but I am going to wait one week before scores are released before I decide to submit my application. This will benefit me for two reasons,
1) I'll have acquired a physical address in FL by that time, and can officially apply as a FL resident.
2) The verification process might take slightly more than a week (i'm guessing), and i want to make sure that my new scores are on my application as opposed to JUST my old MCAT score (would hate a pre-secondary rejection).

haha, yes. yes you did. :oops: ahh, i didn't know that about FIU, thats great that you got to stay in FL. whoa, they're giving full rides too? cuz cleveland clinic's also offering tuition-free med:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121081981994794319.html?mod=2_1566_topbox

thats pretty exciting for us students to hear huh? then again i dont think i could live in ohio. after living in michigan for 8 yrs i've determined that i need to live within a couple hours of the ocean..any ocean. :cool:

yeah a week before sounds like a perfect plan. im still working on my ps so i'll probably just wait until the 26th. that would really stink if a school processed your app w/o that second exam...

dont wanna put a damper on things but u should research what constitutes qualifications for "in-state" and such cuz I knew a kid who had just moved a year ago, and since he had not lived there for 5 years was in eligible to be qualified as in-state. So he had no states schools to apply to.

niranjan,
thank you. you just gave me something to do tomorrow ;)
well...after the playoff game my lil cousin is playin in tomorrow, ill go home and make sure that what im doing is cool with each institution.
i know it wouldnt make a difference in hawaii if I lived there for 12 months or not, so i kinda threw that one out the deck of choices.

*And even though there are a lot of things happening for me in california right now (new job as a fitness camp counselor at local gym, continued job at the college tutoring micro/physio/anatomy, and free room&board at home), I feel like I'd become too stagnant. Besides, California schools are not as likely to give me considerable lovin' compared to a state school when youre the resident of another state.
Furthermore, I dont know if any of you guys experienced this lately--but i heard my aunt talking tonight about something that really made her feel alive (she was talking about riding motorcycles). She said it was incredibly liberating, and she could just feel her whole chest expand with a sense of enjoyment out of life. I listened to her descriptions and I think that I have felt that way a few times in my life as well.
One of those times was when I first decided to become a physician. My heart just exploded with happiness. But of course there is always some trepidation that comes with it. I admit, I am a little scared about the whole process and what is going to be expected of me. But I just have a strong intuition, that I'll feel more or less the same way my aunt does when she rides a motorcycle. Some other times I have felt that 'zest for life' emotion have been when I was living in Miami, and just recently--when I decided that I want to move out again.
I am completely ecstatic about doing this. I just need to piece it all together and make sure I stay organized and efficient during this period. I can't afford to make any mistakes, such as the ones you alluded to in your reply. But at the same time, I dont want to be so afraid of making a mistake, that I end up missing out on my life. Some mistakes might be worth making...

PS: that cleveland clinic program sounds excellent! I would LOVE to do research in addition to the basic medical curriculum. That is a great idea. I hope more schools follow suit...

PPS: TT--you dont need me around to motivate you to train; youve done so much post-bac work, i think youre going to coast through your first year or two of med school! youll have so much free time on your hands, youll find yourself running trails, riding the roads and swimming laps in no time!

Last edited:
thats pretty exciting for us students to hear huh? then again i dont think i could live in ohio. after living in michigan for 8 yrs i've determined that i need to live within a couple hours of the ocean..any ocean. :cool:

NEMO, I feel the same way. I miss being near an ocean! At one point in this process I had to really think whether or not I wanted to attend a school for four years without being near the ocean...Talk about a tough decision. Then again there are two pretty good school in FLA that could easily make that an easy decision. The only thing is, sometime around spring break, I may lose my ability to study hehehe.
Anyway, those of you going to the FLA schools, lucky dogs!:luck:

I guess it is because I live in Florida, but I only look at staying here as a practicality thing. I also don't care for cold, as 4 years at Penn State showed me. I guess if you lived in frigid weather most of your life, then Florida is a nice change. ;)

I'll tell you how I paid for my last 6 european trips. Meet me at the old abandoned building. Ignore the red liquid...its uh...red tide...in puddles.

heehee.gif
I know. I watch too many movies and sadly just a little influenced by them.

niranjan,

*... I dont know if any of you guys experienced this lately--but i heard my aunt talking tonight about something that really made her feel alive (she was talking about riding motorcycles). She said it was incredibly liberating, and she could just feel her whole chest expand with a sense of enjoyment out of life. I listened to her descriptions and I think that I have felt that way a few times in my life as well.
One of those times was when I first decided to become a physician. My heart just exploded with happiness. But of course there is always some trepidation that comes with it. I admit, I am a little scared about the whole process and what is going to be expected of me. But I just have a strong intuition, that I'll feel more or less the same way my aunt does when she rides a motorcycle. Some other times I have felt that 'zest for life' emotion have been when I was living in Miami, and just recently--when I decided that I want to move out again.
I am completely ecstatic about doing this. I just need to piece it all together and make sure I stay organized and efficient during this period. I can't afford to make any mistakes, such as the ones you alluded to in your reply. But at the same time, I dont want to be so afraid of making a mistake, that I end up missing out on my life. Some mistakes might be worth making...

MrO, I hope people really take to heart what you're saying-- which btw I'm loving your aunt! :D She sounds like a cutie pie. We all need to have those moments that make our hearts explode with anticipation and excitement! I think it's sad going through life not being excited about your next step, whatever it is. I think you have the right mindsight in making the best of this next year, and your future in general. So go with your heart, and alternately at times when you get that sinking feeling when you know a choice is not for you, pay close attention to those prompts, too.

...Furthermore, I dont know if any of you guys experienced this lately--but i heard my aunt talking tonight about something that really made her feel alive (she was talking about riding motorcycles). She said it was incredibly liberating, and she could just feel her whole chest expand with a sense of enjoyment out of life. I listened to her descriptions and I think that I have felt that way a few times in my life as well.
One of those times was when I first decided to become a physician. My heart just exploded with happiness. But of course there is always some trepidation that comes with it. I admit, I am a little scared about the whole process and what is going to be expected of me. But I just have a strong intuition, that I'll feel more or less the same way my aunt does when she rides a motorcycle. Some other times I have felt that 'zest for life' emotion have been when I was living in Miami, and just recently--when I decided that I want to move out again...

lol, wait..are you telling me you've never ridden a motorcycle?! its SO much fun and i love that feeling that your aunt is talking about! once you get past the fear of going so fast pretty much unprotected then its loads of fun :D btw that little tidbit sounds like it could be an excerpt out of your ps :p omg one of the several times i've felt that kind of excitement was when i had the awesome opportunity to shadow a heart surgeon..and i dont mean to sound like the typical premed at all when saying this but WOW, its experiences like that which really make me realize how amazing the human body is! the first time i saw a live beating heart right in front of me was the most inspiring thing i've EVER seen! :love:

hey ocho, yeahh florida would be great! i guess we'll just have to wait n see what our options are..have you submitted your apps yet? i'm hoping to very soon and am definitely including all possible ocean-side schools!

btw aloha from maui, hawaii everybody! it's beautiful here and the locals are the kindest people i've ever met! you should definitely visit sometime! :thumbup:

Nemo,

I have submitted, but the FLA schools will be my next volley of applications to be sent out. I have to break them up in groups for financial sake. Best of luck!

just got the MCAT results in:
really could have been a bit more balanced:

VR: 11
PS: 6
BS: 10
WS: S
total: 27-S

so, I dont think having a 6 on any section of the test is good enough to get into any MD programs. I'm happy with EVERYTHING else though. That one portion of the MCAT might very well be the worst part of my entire application. Anyhow, it kinda makes moving to FL a tough call.
My friend in miami just called me to let me know his offer still stands. I think I should take the offer and sit for a retake on July 18th.
I need to let him know by friday night. but the earlier the better.
eee-gads*
ayudame por favor,
mateo.

PS: im scheduled to go to hawaii with mom and dad in the first week of august to check out my property and SOMA's CHC :)

Last edited:
retake, that 6 is going to hurt you in do programs as well

retake, that 6 is going to hurt you in do programs as well

thanks for the heads up, although i am hearing conflicting stories about how detrimental it truly is.
ive rescheduled already but quite a few DO schools I talked with about my application said that I should be fine with an overall of 27.
A PCOM rep made mention of the possible need to schedule an appointment with an admissions rep tho...so, I'll let you know how that goes.

"why couldn't I just score an 8 in PS???"

Because you touch yourself at night.

Posted via Mobile Device

Because you touch yourself at night.

I'll refrain from adding a smilie here.

thanks for the heads up, although i am hearing conflicting stories about how detrimental it truly is.
ive rescheduled already but quite a few DO schools I talked with about my application said that I should be fine with an overall of 27.
A PCOM rep made mention of the possible need to schedule an appointment with an admissions rep tho...so, I'll let you know how that goes.

"why couldn't I just score an 8 in PS???"

If it's any consolation, I know Lecom-B looks at your overall score first, with a higher score BS section next because of the rigorous Anatomy class. I would be hesitant to retake at the risk of dropping my score in the other sections...

Have a blast in Hawaii!!!
surfing.gif

I would save money, but thats just me. When I went on my interviews it was REALLY expensive!!

I would save money, but thats just me. When I went on my interviews it was REALLY expensive!!

man oh man..approx how much did you end up spending traveling/hotel-ing for interviews?? and how many schools did you interview with? i'm savin up for those travel expenses right now.. :scared: