Thinking about sending in a letter of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexxxxx

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, so I am an Ohio applicant who has been accepted to one of my state schools, but I really want to go to Ohio State and fully intend on staying in Columbus for residency and the rest of my foreseeable future, and I even have family - a brother, living in the city. I didn't do my undergrad at OSU, but I am currently working in the college of medicine at Ohio State for my gap year and could possibly get additional recommendations from my two PIs and I am willing to sign a letter of intent that would say I wouldn't go anywhere else if accepted. Is this a viable option, and would it improve my chances of getting in?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, so I am an Ohio applicant who has been accepted to one of my state schools, but I really want to go to Ohio State and fully intend on staying in Columbus for residency and the rest of my foreseeable future, and I even have family - a brother, living in the city. I didn't do my undergrad at OSU, but I am currently working in the college of medicine at Ohio State for my gap year and could possibly get additional recommendations from my two PIs and I am willing to sign a letter of intent that would say I wouldn't go anywhere else if accepted. Is this a viable option, and would it improve my chances of getting in?
sound too desperate. No, the school wouldn't want that letter from you. Just email them and tell them you really want to go there and leave it there.

Reactions: 1 user
i disagree^ there’s nothing to lose by sending one. at the very least, theyll disregard it, but i cant see how it will ever hurt. this isnt a relationship, i dont see how an adcom will read it and think “he seems to desperate, lets reject him”

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think that it could only help, but would reiterate @srirachamayonnaise ’s sentiment and make it a bit simpler. Have you been interviewed? It may carry more weight post II

Ex.

I would like to inform the admissions committee that the Ohio State Medical School is my top choice and I fully intent on enrolling if admitted to your institution:

Sincerely,

Signature

Hand writing and scanning the signature is always a nice touch imo

Last edited:
I think that it could only help, but would reiterate @srirachamayonnaise ’s sentiment and make it a bit simpler. Have you been interviewed? It may carry more weight post II

Ex.

I would like to inform the admissions committee that the Ohio State Medical School is my top choice and I fully intent on enrolling if admitted to your institution:

Sincerely,

Signature

Hand writing and scanning the signature is always a nice touch imo
Thanks for the advice! No, I haven't been offered an interview, and I am worrying that I might not due to my *lower* stats compared to their avg and am wanting to maximize my chances. Do you think it would be worth asking my PIs if they would be willing to recommend me to the adcom on top of my other letters of rec? Maybe their recommendations could carry more weight than my LORs as they are profs in the COM.

• Hmm
How would you interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant?

How would you interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant?
Well, I would be willing to make it a binding contract that I would turn down all other acceptances in favor of Ohio State if accepted. I thought I could include that part in the email.

Well, I would be willing to make it a binding contract that I would turn down all other acceptances in favor of Ohio State if accepted. I thought I could include that part in the email.
Actually, there is no such thing. It would violate the protocols the schools all operate under. Your intentions might be good, but you simply cannot bind yourself to a school, after ED, until CTE goes live in the CYMS tool in AMCAS on 4/30/22.

Do you have an accept(s)?
Yes, currently sitting on one at a diff state school! Waiting to hear back from several other interviews, and attending another soon.

Well without even an II at OSU be sure you respond to the As you have. I assume if not accepted at OSU you still want to attend med school in the Fall 2022.

Is this pre-II or post-II?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well without even an II at OSU be sure you respond to the As you have. I assume if not accepted at OSU you still want to attend med school in the Fall 2022.
Yes - I already accepted my acceptance (or however you say it lol) at my other state school.

Yes - I already accepted my acceptance (or however you say it lol) at my other state school.

The 47 secondaries you submitted (I can't even imagine) paid off.

• Haha
LOIs can work, particularly if you have another acceptance. You have nothing to lose by submitting it. Just don’t talk about any sort of binding contract or something. That just seems weird and desperate. Just say your reasons for wanting to go there and that you would turn down your current acceptance(s) if offered admission.

Reactions: 2 users
LOIs can work, particularly if you have another acceptance. You have nothing to lose by submitting it. Just don’t talk about any sort of binding contract or something. That just seems weird and desperate. Just say your reasons for wanting to go there and that you would turn down your current acceptance(s) if offered admission.
Thank you, I am drafting it right now :)

Oh also, additional question - it doesn't say anywhere on their website where such letters should be sent to, so should I just send it in to the general admissions email as opposed to a specific person like the dean? Thank you :)

Oh also, additional question - it doesn't say anywhere on their website where such letters should be sent to, so should I just send it in to the general admissions email as opposed to a specific person like the dean? Thank you :)
If the school doesn’t have a specific admissions counselor assigned to you or an update portal, I would just send it to the general email.

Are you sure this school even accepts letters? Some do and some don’t.

Are you sure this school even accepts letters? Some do and some don’t.
They don't mention anything specific about letters, although they do accept updates as per the portal.

They don't mention anything specific about letters, although they do accept updates as per the portal.
I think the takeaway should be that an update might help you get an II, but that, without an II indicating some level of interest on their end, your interest or intent is kind of irrelevant to them at this stage. I really think you should submit an update if you have something significant to say, but maybe think twice about an LOI until after you interview.

• Love